• 1 Post By Jonnyd

Thread: 5420 Starting Issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-20-2018 @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks

5420 Starting Issues

Hi All,

I'm having trouble starting my 5420. The issue started out intermittently where it would fire when turned over and the shutdown immediately. Eventually after a couple of tries or after starting it with the throttle raised it would continue to run and act normal. Now it still fires, but won't sustain itself, so I suspect whatever the issue is, something has probably finally failed. If I hold the key a little longer than normal, it runs until I release the key.

It has had the fuel pump installed at some point and the fuel filter was changed about 100 hours ago. At first I thought it was a fuel supply issue, but when I crack the fitting that I've circled in the attachment with the key on (fuel pump running), there seems to be lots of fuel there. Fuel tank is full. Fuel solenoid is clicking, I guess I'm not confident that it is opening, but not sure how to test it.

If I turn the key on and pull out the bleed plug (Item B), some fuel comes out, but not very fast. I also get fuel from fitting A when it is cracked, but likewise not a whole lot.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tractor.gif  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    A couple of updates.

There is 12v at the fuel solenoid when the key switch is in run. This goes away when I start to crank the engine, which makes sense as it seems to fire then gives up.

I jumpered a 12v source to the solenoid, the opened the solenoid and the auxiliary fuel pump turned on. The tractor started up and ran fine.

I've found that sometimes the tractor will continue to run when I remove the jumper and other times it shutdown.

Once the tractor is running is there a different relay that provides power to the solenoid? It appears there's some kind of changeover once the unit is started, I suspect this is where my issue is.

Thanks
    BigJim55 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Sometimes it takes more current to open a solenoid, then less current to keep it open. But I am not sure if that's the case without an electrical print
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    It is possible you have a bad or missing resistor under the right hand cowling. Have you replaced a starter recently? WHen the starter is drifting to a stop after cranking, it acts as a generator briefly and the voltage it produces can deactivate the shut-off solenoid relay after key is released if this resistor is missing, unhooked or defective. Part number for the resistor is RE72059 and it plugs into a 2 pin weatherpack connector under right hand cowling. SOme starters seem to be more apt to cause this issue. I have seen some tractors start this problem after a new starter is installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5420  RE72059.jpg  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jd110 For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (04-07-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have t done anything with the starter lately, but I'll locate and check out the resistor. Any idea what the resistance should normally be? I'm also wondering if it could be something in the ignition. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Resistor should be 3 ohms. If your serial number is above 420,000, the resistor is soldered directly in the harness. It is not a plug in unit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jd110 For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (04-09-2018)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! I check it out when I get a chance. I was reading the service manual and it looks like the solenoid is locked out if it thinks the starter has stayed engaged. From the looks of it, you would have to shutoff the key switch in order to attempt another start if this is the case. Going to try that. I don't think the starter is staying engaged, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary and suspect I would.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements