• 1 Post By Zebrafive
  • 1 Post By KT7307

Thread: 5101E Front Drive Shaft Parts

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-19-2018 @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks

5101E Front Drive Shaft Parts

Good day gents, forgive me for asking a question on my first post.

My buddy dropped off his 5101E for me to use for a week. He told me ahead of time the front driveshaft was "missing". however it should be fine in 2WD. If I understood him correctly, he heard a noise coming from under the tractor. The dealer picked it up, couldn't replicate the noise, and returned it. Shortly after he heard the noise again. I quizzed him as to the details of use shen the noise occured. He said he was driving on a paved road when the noise started. Then, the noise simply quit. He parked the tractor and the next time he used it, he had no 4WD. Upon inspection, he noticed the front driveshaft was missing. One of the plastic shields was still there and one splined coupling. Is it possible that running in 4WD on pavement caused the shaft to twist or break?

I'd like to repay the favor of using his tractor by replacing the missing driveshaft parts. However, I'm wondering if there is something more serious wrong. It has about 1,000 hours on it and the underneath shows no signs of damage. The rear gearbox is quiet and spins free in 2WD and turns in 4WD. With the front tires off the ground, the wheels and differential spins free and quit. There's no sign of oil leaking.

Logic dictates $600 worth of parts and a little labor (looks pretty simple to install) should have the 'ole girl up running. Or, am I missing something more serious? thanks in advance for any advice. KT
    Last edited by KT7307; 04-19-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Front tires are designed to "lead" the rear. By lead, I mean turn slightly (1-5%) faster. So you are NOT supposed to use MFWD on paved roads. But I doubt that would have caused the drive shaft to break or come off. Only might cause some front tire slippage and/or hop.

Maybe the Dealer removed it to rule out the MFWD and forgot to put it back on? I would try and check with the dealer before buying a new one.

One other thought is someone stole it to fix theirs. Thieves have no morals and would not have worried about damaging anything else to get what they want. A friend had the nozzle for his elevated fuel tank locked to the tank stand. Thieves cut the hose took how ever much they had containers for and let the rest drain on the ground. He was "lucky" he did not have a full tank and was not fined for the spill. This was many years before containment was required to contain spills.
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 04-19-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-19-2018 @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Front tires are designed to "lead" the rear. By lead, I mean turn slightly (1-5%) faster. So you are NOT supposed to use MFWD on paved roads. But I doubt that would have caused the drive shaft to break or come off. Only might cause some front tire slippage and/or hop.

Maybe the Dealer removed it to rule out the MFWD and forgot to put it back on? I would try and check with the dealer before buying a new one.

One other thought is someone stole it to fix theirs. Thieves have no morals and would not have worried about damaging anything else to get what they want. A friend had the nozzle for his elevated fuel tank locked to the tank stand. Thieves cut the hose took how ever much they had containers for and let the rest drain on the ground. He was "lucky" he did not have a full tank and was not fined for the spill. This was many years before containment was required to contain spills.
    Terrific thought. I have my buddy contact the dealer.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements