• 2 Post By JD4044M

Thread: 5100E Radio Trouble, Weird

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-01-2018 @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks

5100E Radio Trouble, Weird

Hello all,

I have a 2014 5100E Cab Tractor with an H260 Loader 4WD that I purchased new in 2014. I only have a little over 300 hours on it and I really enjoy it. I spent most of the day this past Saturday disking fields getting ready to plant field corn and I was enjoying the beautiful weather and listening to the radio in the tractor. All of a sudden the radio started turning off and on and then finally it just quit. I thought that it may have blown a fuse however when I started to stop the tractor, I pushed in the clutch and the radio came back on. Weird, as long as I would hold the clutch pushed in to the floor, the radio would play and when I released the clutch, the radio would quit again.

It's like there is some sort of grounding issue. I pulled the AC vent cover that is next to the radio and reached in around the back of the radio to see if I could feel a loose wire or something however I didn't notice any loose wires.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,
    David

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    Is there a wire near the clutch pedal. Might be pinching or grounding out with the pedal. Gremlins are a POA...
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-01-2018 @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Is there a wire near the clutch pedal. Might be pinching or grounding out with the pedal. Gremlins are a POA...
    Don't know why I didn't think of looking at that. I will check it this evening and see.

Thanks,
    David

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    I'm going with ground/electrical problem. Some new tractors have electronics running the clutch and clutch packs in the transmission.
    We have a tractor at work with a bad patencheometer (sp) it's like the pedal on a golf cart, the more you press the faster it goes, well on a tractor it's the reverse, the more you press the clutch the more it disengages power. It is a New Holland tho.
    Last edited by 1010; 04-30-2018 at 09:01 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Thanks
    Trace the ground wire going to the Radio and make sure it is grounded good. You can also do this with a voltage meter using OHM's Setting to check if it is good. Should be a dead short to ground and the meter will look the same if you put the leads together. If it is not pretty close to the same value there is your problem. Check the positive also for 12 volts. If the ground is off your cab make a jumper and ground the cab good to the frame if it does not have a good bolted on connection. Weird the clutch is affecting it so check the whole linkage for any wires nearby that could get touched and wear thru first. Then start testing if you find nothing. Electricity can do weird things I have worked with it 45+ years.
    Drifterbike and 1010 like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JD4044M For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (05-01-2018)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements