5100E Hydraulics and 7300 Vacuum Planter???
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dleemorrow
  • 2 Post By johnH123
  • 1 Post By 1010
  • 4 Post By Herminator

Thread: 5100E Hydraulics and 7300 Vacuum Planter???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-01-2018 @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks

5100E Hydraulics and 7300 Vacuum Planter???

Hey everyone,

This is my second thread today about my 2014 5100E cab tractor. I purchased a new 5100E in 2014 and have been really enjoying it ever since. Only minor issues with it so far. About 2 years after purchasing the tractor, I purchased a used model 7300 4 row vacuum planter and completely restored it with all new parts, decals, paint, and hoses. I did not do any research before purchasing the planter to ensure that the 5100E tractor would be able to operate the hydraulic motor on the planter as I assumed this 100HP tractor would have no problems with a tiny little hydraulic motor.

Well just as I was finishing up with my restoration on the planter, one of my larger farmer neighbors stopped by to check out the restoration job and he asked me if I was going to operate the 7300 with my 5100E and I told him yes I was. He then said that I was probably going to burn up the hydraulics on the tractor and that I should check with the John Deere dealer before hooking up the hydraulics to the planter.

Sure enough, I checked with two JD dealers and both of them told me the that my tractor would not run the hydraulic motor on the 7300 planter. They said my tractor is not a row crop tractor and the hydraulics are not designed to run things like the planter vacuum motor.

My question is What are my options for being able to operate the planter and keep my 5100E from being damaged? Is it possible to get some type of external reservoir hydraulic system with a PTO pump? The planter has hydraulic row markers that I would like to use as well and not sure what the options are for those either.

I don't really want to trade the tractor for a 6 series due to the increase in cost and I'm happy with the 5100E. I had the dealer swap sides with the tires so it is set up on 72" width now which will work great for planting 36" row crops and I would like to keep the planter.

All thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    If you have 3 rear SCVs with a continuous flow detent, as long as the planter has a a cooler and filter and doesn't demand more than your tractor can provide. You should have 15.9 GPM at the SCV, and as long as the planter doesn't need more than about 15 at most, I wouldn't worry.

Just my $0.02.
    Herminator and 1010 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    What does the planter require to operate correctly, HYD GPM, and then try to find a PTO pump that will provide that required flow.
    You can get a machine shop fab you a tank with threaded connections and fasteners to mount on the tool bar.

I'd trade the planter before my tractor, unless you would like to trade it in a row crop machine.
    Herminator likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    If you have 3 rear SCVs with a continuous flow detent, as long as the planter has a a cooler and filter and doesn't demand more than your tractor can provide. You should have 15.9 GPM at the SCV, and as long as the planter doesn't need more than about 15 at most, I wouldn't worry.

Just my $0.02.
    I agree. I guess the only thing I would question is it has the oil capacity and cooling capacity to keep the oil from overheating. It raises a good question, is the flow rate based on peak demand or continuous duty. I suspect it is based on continuous because my bobcat used to run a rotary mower that used all it had to give and it does not have a large reservoir.

If the planter also has a cooler so much the better. I would look up the specs of the row crop tractors of the same age as the planter on tractor data. 7300 were about 1990’s if I remember right. A 4240 would have been a little older and flowed around 20gpm but I doubt they would max out a tractor just running the vacuum or it would be hard to raise and lower it.

Of course adding a pto pump for the vacuum would certainly be the safest option for your tractor. Just hate spending money or duplicating something that does not need it. I hope when you find a path that works you post the answers.
    Last edited by Herminator; 04-30-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements