Like Tree46Likes

Thread: 2015 5075e Update after 350+ hours

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks

2015 5075e Update after 350+ hours

Hi all,
    Just thought I would give an update on my 2015 5075e, with cab and loader, now that I have around 350 hours on it. I own a 100 acre farm in Washington State and I do about 60 acres of alfalfa every season, along with mowing, loader work and snow plowing.

Farming
    I use a 12ft pull behind swather and the tractor has plenty of power to cut through the thick alfalfa. I also like the location of the rear hydraulic controls, it saves your back when farming for 3-4 hours by not having to sit sideways all the time. I also run a small square baler (around 75 pound bales) and the tractor does just fine. I really like the economy PTO option. You can run your tractor at around 1700 rpms while still running 540 PTO speed, this works well for baling and mowing. I find the tractor uses a lot fuel on average, so it is nice to use the economy option and save some diesel.
    For the first time last year I ran an 8 bale accumulator from Maxilator that attaches to the front of the loader. The accumulator is on the heavy side and I think the 5075 is a little small for this style of attachment. The short wheel base tends to make the tractor bounce around in the field more than I would like. The hydraulics keep up just fine, but the loader is so far out in front of the tractor there is too much front weight. I had the dealer install fluid in the rear tires and it helped slightly. Overall it does the job but if you are wanting to run any heavy front attachments I would recommend a larger tractor.
    Some people have complained the 5 series are not best for farming as they tend to heat up in the summer. I have not experienced any over-heating issues even in 90+ degree weather. I just keep the air flow system clean and it does just fine. A/C works very well and it tends to get too cold in the cab. Overall I think the 5 series is a great utility tractor for people who farm 100 acres or less. Anything bigger than that I would recommend a larger frame tractor.

Loader Work
    I use the loader for hay stacking, snow plowing and various bucket projects. The loader controls inside are set up very nicely. Some people have complained they get fatigued due to the position of the loader controls, but I have not experienced that. I do feel like the loader sticks too far out in front of the tractor, and due to the short wheel base, it tends to bounce around with any weight in the front. The hydraulics have plenty of power to pickup anything I want and they work well.
    The winters in my area tend to be harsh. I have a 7ft snow blade attachment for the loader and it works well. I can push around 2 ft of heavy snow, but I can tell the tractor is working hard. The 4wd and overall weight of the tractor makes for good traction even on compacted snow. I really like how high the loader can go as well. It makes it easy to stack snow and hay in high stacks.
    Perhaps the best option this tractor has is the power-reverser. Once you get used to using the lever, it saves a lot of time and clutch use when plowing or using the loader. Only piece of advice I have for the power-reverser option is to make sure you are in a lower gear. When you flick the lever in forward to reverse, it can jerk you around pretty good. If you are in a lower gear and running mid-range RPM’s, it makes for a smooth transition. If you are thinking about getting a tractor with the power-reverser option, spend some time practicing and it will save you a lot of time and cut down on fatigue.

Mowing
    This tractor is ideal for mowing or roto-tilling. Plenty of HP to mow just about anything I need. I run a 5ft brush hog, and with the small turning radius, it makes mowing around tight areas easy. I also run a 5ft roto-tiller from time to time and I really like how you can set the depth with the hydraulics to get the perfect height. The cab noise is relatively quiet, especially when running normal RPM’s. Once again, the economy PTO option when mowing is ideal. With 75hp, you don’t need to run 2100 rpms to cut through normal height grasses.

Overall pros: Good power, great visibility inside cab, inside controls, power-reverser transmission, economy PTO option

Overall cons: Fuel consumption, throttle position lever (which they have fixed on newer models), small fuel tank, too short of wheel base

I am not a tractor expert or mechanic but hopefully a few people will find this useful. Thanks for reading!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2489 (1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	604113
    2015 John Deere 5075e with Cab/Loader, 1959 Allis-Chalmers D14, 1955 Allis-Chalmers WD45 Diesel,
    8ft front snow blade , 5ft 3-point roto-tiller, New Holland 575 square baler, Allis-Chalmers 303 square baler, New Holland 469 Haybine

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DamonSmathers For This Useful Post:

2mtrucks (05-03-2018), Drifterbike (05-03-2018), Georgia_Johndeere (05-03-2018), Herminator (05-20-2018), lindsey97 (05-06-2018), PaDave (05-08-2018), PJR832 (05-06-2018), rtgt (05-04-2018), Zebrafive (05-04-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for update. What is the GPH of fuel while baling/cutting?
    rtgt, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 890 Posts
    Nice write up and review.

I just started a new job and we have a 5085E there. All round pretty nice piece of equipment.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-25-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Nice review!

If you are wanting to soften up your powershift transition JD has an adjustable knob you can add. It was like a $250 dealer installed option when I bought my tractor. It works pretty well. Look up PowrReverser Modulation Control Kit - LVB25727.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    The H240 does really stick out there, but that's why you have such good height with it. I can get up on a 9' cargo container, but I don't have a whole bunch more reach above that.

Some guys have had horrible luck with their 5er's, but aside from shifter boots, oil and filters, and some various bolts coming loose; I haven't had anything break or stop working.
    PJR832 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    The H240 does really stick out there, but that's why you have such good height with it. I can get up on a 9' cargo container, but I don't have a whole bunch more reach above that.

Some guys have had horrible luck with their 5er's, but aside from shifter boots, oil and filters, and some various bolts coming loose; I haven't had anything break or stop working.
    It can only reach 9'? My 4510 (basically a 3 series) can reach almost that high no problem.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    It can only reach 9'? My 4510 (basically a 3 series) can reach almost that high no problem.
    It's rated for 10' ish, but when you're stacking stuff and on uneven ground, you use up some of that last 1ft.
    johnH123 and PJR832 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Very nice review. Thank you. Trying to decide between a 4066r and a 5075e both with cabs, 4wd and loaders. 5075e priced out at $42,730. 4066r priced out at $48,000. I would like to run a round baler, but the dealer says the 4066r isn't big enough.

We recently bought new 1025r, and a 3032e. Both are hydrostatic, and I am spoiled with that. Very easy to brushhog with both of them up close to trees and whatnot.

Can you tell me more about your power reverser? Do you have to bring the engine to an idle before switch directions? Can you brushhog with the engine at pto rpm in a low gear, and change directions without decelerating the engine? How does the power reverser compare to a hydrostatic tractor?
    DamonSmathers likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-25-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsey97 View Post
    Very nice review. Thank you. Trying to decide between a 4066r and a 5075e both with cabs, 4wd and loaders. 5075e priced out at $42,730. 4066r priced out at $48,000. I would like to run a round baler, but the dealer says the 4066r isn't big enough.

We recently bought new 1025r, and a 3032e. Both are hydrostatic, and I am spoiled with that. Very easy to brushhog with both of them up close to trees and whatnot.

Can you tell me more about your power reverser? Do you have to bring the engine to an idle before switch directions? Can you brushhog with the engine at pto rpm in a low gear, and change directions without decelerating the engine? How does the power reverser compare to a hydrostatic tractor?
    I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything but why would you pay over $5K more for a less capable machine?

I know that ending in a R the 4066R is likely a little fancier than a 5E series but still it's a noticeably smaller, compact tractor compared to a utility/AG type of machine with a heavier/larger frame with more power and a more robust build. Besides the E Series isn't as basic as people make them out to be. They're nicer than what much of JD's competition offers IMHO. I couldn't see myself spending more on a 5R tractors than I would a 6E tractor if I was in the market for a new one as the E-Series are too nice IMO to justify spending spending more on a smaller frame/less powerful machine. Just like a Colorado should cost less than a Silverado 1500 and a Silverado 1500 should cost less than a Silverado 3500 Duramax truck. (not comparing the most basic construction trucks to optioned out models)
    Jim Timber and 1010 like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JROC For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (05-20-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 5075e with PR, it's just a steering column mounted forward/reverse. It is relatively smooth but at high RPMs I would make sure to be dead stopped going from F to R. To me there is no comparison (smoothness) in the PR to a hydrastat machine. Both have their pros and cons.
    That being said, the 5075e is offered in a shuttle shift also. that is around $3k cheaper than a PR. The F and R is a shifter stick requiring the clutch between shifts. Again there is no comparison in the two. The PR is way smoother and faster (no clutch) than the shuttle. Except to change gears or ranges then the clutch is required too.

JMO!
    Last edited by 1010; 05-07-2018 at 12:10 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1010 For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (05-20-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast