Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: JD 301 Load control shaft

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-24-2018 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks

JD 301 Load control shaft

I'm a novice when it comes to tractors, but mechanically minded otherwise. While mowing, the bolt and retainer on the left side of the load control shaft came off without me knowing it. When I made a turn the draw arm pulled off that end of the shaft (ripping the ball out of the arm). The right draw arm under load pulled the load control shaft into the transmission housing.

When I attempt to push the shaft back through the bushing on the left side it is misaligned low and to the rear. I know the shaft it supposed to sit in the fork above it but I suspect the fork may be out place as well.

Before I call a mechanic, I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me work through this on my own. I know I should replace the bushings and possibly the shaft, but right now I just want to figure out how to get things back in place. Though this is an old tractor, it has a little less than 4k hours on it.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    JD does not recommend replacing the bushings unless absolutely necessary. JD worries since the bushings are press fit, excessive replacement could cause leaks.

Have you tried changing the position of the Load lever?

My worry would be you had key 20 and 27 fall off key 11 (2nd drawing) You would have to remove the rockshaft housing to check (1st drawing)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 301rockshafthousing.gif   301Loadcontrolshaft.gif  
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

None of the Above (05-03-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,249 Posts
    If the Load Control shaft moved into the transmission case that far, the hydraulic oil drained.

Remove the draft links and the Load shaft(#28) in previous post. You'll be able to look inside(with a flash light) to see if anything is out of place. If items(#20 & #27) are in place, I would think the Cam Follower(#17) may have come out of place, between the rock-shaft and lever(#2, in diagram below).

As Zebrafive stated, the rock-shaft housing will need to be removed, to place it in the correct position.

Last edited by flyweight; 05-03-2018 at 09:10 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

None of the Above (05-03-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Load Lever

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    JD does not recommend replacing the bushings unless absolutely necessary. JD worries since the bushings are press fit, excessive replacement could cause leaks.

My worry would be you had key 20 and 27 fall off key 11 (2nd drawing) You would have to remove the rockshaft housing to check (1st drawing)
    When I first heard a noise, I thought something was tangled in the finish mower I was using. I raised the deck to look underneath, then realized what had happened. I lowered the mower, and haven't tried putting the lever in any other position.

I guess it's possible the shaft bent, but it looks like I'll be looking for a mechanic. Tearing into everything is more than I'm up to these days.

Thanks for the help.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Cam Follower etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    If the Load Control shaft moved into the transmission case that far, the hydraulic oil drained.

Remove the draft links and the Load shaft(#28) in previous post. You'll be able to look inside(with a flash light) to see if anything is out of place. If items(#20 & #27) are in place, I would think the Cam Follower(#17) may have come out of place, between the rock-shaft and lever(#2, in diagram below).

As Zebrafive stated, the rock-shaft housing will need to be removed, to place it in the correct position.

I'll see if I can get a look inside, but if it requires removing the housing, I'm probably going to let someone else do it. These days, it seems like every job turns into something bigger than it should have been, and Murphy's Law seems to always come into play.

Thanks for the information.
    DRobinson likes this.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    I'll reiterate putting lever(key 28) in position "D" should remove pressure from arm so L/D shaft is easier to reinstall if other parts are in correct position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

None of the Above (05-04-2018), Zebrafive (05-05-2018)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

That did it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    I'll reiterate putting lever(key 28) in position "D" should remove pressure from arm so L/D shaft is easier to reinstall if other parts are in correct position.
    Thanks a ton - that did the trick! You helped me once before and you've done it again. I'm up by the Red River, but if I ever get to Coyote Flats, I'll try to look you up and shake your hand.

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    You're welcome
    Jim
    DRobinson likes this.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Load lever

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post

Sorry I missed the load lever note the first time I read this. That did free things up.

Now I'm wondering, how will I know if the the parts you mentioned have fallen off? I've ordered parts to replace the damaged and worn external components, but would like to be sure of things before I fill the system up with hydraulic fluid.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by None of the Above View Post
    Sorry I missed the load lever note the first time I read this. That did free things up.

Now I'm wondering, how will I know if the the parts you mentioned have fallen off? I've ordered parts to replace the damaged and worn external components, but would like to be sure of things before I fill the system up with hydraulic fluid.
    Maybe probe with a magnet on a telescoping stick through the fill hole?

Maybe pull the sump screen and see if you can look from that opening? Never tried this so may not even be close to where the parts would fall to.
    None of the Above likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

None of the Above (05-16-2018)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com