Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Need help getting help from John Deere

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-06-2018 @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks

Need help getting help from John Deere

I purchased a new 5055E in 2015 and love it!!! I have 87 hours on it, mostly mowing and tilling my gardens. I was plowing a new place for pumpkins about a month ago with a 2-14 JD plow one morning while the grass was still damp and my wheels were spinning a little so I stopped and engaged the differential lock which would not stay engaged. By the third time I tried it, there were several loud noises and the right wheel locked up.
    Long story short, I took it back to the dealer and the differential is completely destroyed and it is 10 months out of warranty. I was told to call customer service and ask to file a claim. I was given a claim number and several days later I received a call and was told that the area Rep had decided that I must have abused the machine by engaging the diff lock on the fly and that JD would pay half of the $5,000-$6,000.00 repairs. I am 61 years old and have been operating machinery most of those years and nothing could be further from the truth. I saved long and hard and sold a 1939 unstyled model G and quite a few of my hit and miss engines to buy this tractor and you can bet I did not abuse it!
    After many calls to the dealer service manager and the case manager at JD, I was told that the Rep is as high as you can go in the company and there is no one else who could help me. The service manager and the case manager both requested that he call me but he will not. His only response is, "we will pay 50% and there is nothing else to discuss". I am not satisfied with that! Something had to be terribly defective with it for this to have happened. If JD is okay with one of their products having a malfunction which costs nearly 25% of the original purchase price in only 87 hours, I am hugely disappointed and will share my experience with everyone I can, on every web page and forum I can find, to keep others from having to go through this.
    Has anyone else gone through anything like this before and if so, do you know of anyone at John Deere who may be of help?
    Last edited by David Wiesman; 06-12-2018 at 06:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-20-2019 @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    Did you purchase ultra guard insurance when you first got the tractor in 2015?

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    No, I don't think I've ever of heard of it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,126 Posts
    was u trying to push the locker while spinning the wheels?/

i don't know what the manual says to do? but back when i was running heavy equipment-they stuck me in a pan--first thing the boss told me-before u spin the wheels-take ur heel, and lock the rear in-but only while ur in a straight line-and no pushing that lever while spinning the wheels. that was a long time ago-and has stuck with me since.

not saying u done pushed it while the wheel was spinning--i suspect something was put together wrong from new-but ur not the first person to run out of warranty and be forgotten. i think i would take the money to fix it--and trade the machine for sure.

just my 2cts-ok
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    No I would never engage the differential lock while the machine was moving. Like I state above, I came to a complete stop before engaging it and it would not stay engaged.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and NMBaldwin like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-20-2019 @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    My advice is start calling JD corporate, email, what ever to make some loud noise about a tractor with less then 100 hrs and a busted back end.

Get the REPs name and dealer and get the word out.

pisses me off because I almost have the same tractor, I probably do have the same differential.

Half $$$ is better than nothing, I could come up with $3k easier then $6K, just saying sir!
    Last edited by 1010; 06-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    BigJim55, Jim Timber and JD4044M like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Despite what what the Deere rep stated was the cause (though it would sour my opinion on the subject as well) I would suggest this course of action:

Accept their $ participation for the repair and have the work completed as I would want my machine back hole again and usable to me and find some way to move on. Now the method of moving on is totally up to you -be it sell the machine and buy orange/blue/another color or just use the machine as you have been-the end result is the same.

You got the machine repaired and Deere elected to contribute to the cost. You could just as well have been out the full amount and had nothing from them except a fat repair bill and a broken machine.

Now Iím not saying be thankful for their sharing in the cost either-I agree that thatís a poor way to remedy the situation on their part of what you say occurred is accurate, but I donít think continued efforts on your part will actually change anything here and as I said you could have just as easily been given $0 towards the repair.

TLDR-take Deerís money and run.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I figure this is a 5000 hour tractor and if you divide 87 hours by 5000 you get 1.75%. I think they should give me a new tractor minus 1.75% of the $26,000.00 I paid for it which is $455.00.

When you look at it that way, $3000.00 is a pile of pain. Not to mention that I now have a machine that no one will want to buy since the paint is cracked around all of the bolts showing that it has had a major repair and is most likely defective.

Get a load of this, the dealer offered my $11,000.00 for it on a trade in toward a new one. That Really Hurts!!! John Deere was my hero company but they let me know what I mean to them in a hurry.

It makes me sick to think that I should have gone with red or orange but here I am hemorrhaging money and stress!!!
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Wiesman View Post
    I figure this is a 5000 hour tractor and if you divide 87 hours by 5000 you get 1.75%. I think they should give me a new tractor minus 1.75% of the $26,000.00 I paid for it which is $455.00.

When you look at it that way, $3000.00 is a pile of pain. Not to mention that I now have a machine that no one will want to buy since the paint is cracked around all of the bolts showing that it has had a major repair and is most likely defective.

Get a load of this, the dealer offered my $11,000.00 for it on a trade in toward a new one. That Really Hurts!!! John Deere was my hero company but they let me know what I mean to them in a hurry.

It makes me sick to think that I should have gone with red or orange but here I am hemorrhaging money and stress!!!

What youíre not talking into account with your math is depreciation since you purchased new, you need to devalue for that first then look at equipment depreciation rates to gauge value to be accurate. Sadly your tractors value isnít a simple linear equation.

Again, I disagree with Deereís handling of your situation and hearing the rep say what he did would anger me too-even if he hadnít tried to assign a cause to the failure, Iíd be unhappy with their 50% share in this. However looking at the bigger picture they could just have easily offered zero and then youíd have to foot the entire bill and still be in a situation where you own a tractor that has had a major repair. At leaset itíll be usable when repaired, and you can have the use of it which may be more valuable to you in the long run than the $ you may get from trying to sell it in favor of a tractor of some other color.

Another consideration here you may not have gotten to yet. All suppliers, equipment manufacturers, etc. have issues with their products-no one is perfect because everyone is human at the end of the day. Green is just a color in this scheme-they fail for the same reasons and have the same problems as every other color of or brand of tractor will. Regardless of your choice of brand there is the potential for these types of problems. The positive with JD in my opinion is the strong dealer and parts network, the parts availability especially with older models and the way they hold value for the future-which is more in many counts than I can say for MOST other brands or names in the marketplace.
    BigJim55 and meyerld like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    Do you have homeowner's insurance that might cover it?

My tractor is an asset listed on my policy. Something broke when you were driving it, it's not "worn out" by anyone's imagination. Maybe your insurance would cover the half that JD isn't paying?

Your value determination is also flawed. My tractor is a 2012 or 13 (hard to say as the hoses are late '12), and they're still selling at auction for darn near what I paid for it 3 years ago. Tractors hold their value really well!

Another up-side to the dealer repair, is that the rear end should have another year's warranty on it after they go in there. That has some value too.
    BigJim55 and 1010 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast