• 1 Post By jd110
  • 2 Post By ttazzman

Thread: 5105M PTO Shuts Off

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-13-2018 @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks

5105M PTO Shuts Off

I'm needing help in figuring out why my PTO shuts off. I have a 2010 5105M with about 3600 hours on it. I'm running an MX15 brush hog clipping pastures. I will mow for about 45 minutes and then the service indicator light kicks on and my PTO shuts down. I turn it off and back on and that indicator light kicks back on and shuts the PTO down. I have the let the tractor sit for a while turned off before I can get it to work again. Oil level is good, hydraulic oil level is good. I just put a brand new battery in it. It's driving me crazy and my JD dealer hasn't been much help. They came out late on a Friday afternoon and said the diagnostic codes were only showing "low voltages" and that it could be the battery. I replaced it and it still happens. I'm wondering if something is getting hot and causing it to shut down since it works for a while then shuts off.. Anyone seen anything like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-05-2018 @ 04:23 PM
    Thanks
    I got a 5100E and this what I have came up with. Do you have a 540E? If so put it in regular 540 an try that. I did that an so so it has worked really good.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-24-2018 @ 03:38 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2016 5085E. I found out that the seat has a safety switch that will cut off the PTO if I lift my weight off the seat a little, for SAFETY. ALSO, the PTO switch can have burned contact inside and make the PTO drop off intermittently. Same switch is on my ZERO turn commercial mower. Had to change it once with the same problems you are having.
    Hope this aids your troubleshooting a little. BTW, the switch is an easy replacement, if that is the issue. I ohmed mine with a meter and found the switch was trashed.
    Good luck!
    "What you need is a bigger tractor"
    JD 5085E Cab tractor
    JD Z920M Zero turn mower
    JD MX-8 rotary mower
    JD H240 loader
    Land Pride Boxblade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 03:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtucker View Post
    I'm needing help in figuring out why my PTO shuts off. I have a 2010 5105M with about 3600 hours on it. I'm running an MX15 brush hog clipping pastures. I will mow for about 45 minutes and then the service indicator light kicks on and my PTO shuts down. I turn it off and back on and that indicator light kicks back on and shuts the PTO down. I have the let the tractor sit for a while turned off before I can get it to work again. Oil level is good, hydraulic oil level is good. I just put a brand new battery in it. It's driving me crazy and my JD dealer hasn't been much help. They came out late on a Friday afternoon and said the diagnostic codes were only showing "low voltages" and that it could be the battery. I replaced it and it still happens. I'm wondering if something is getting hot and causing it to shut down since it works for a while then shuts off.. Anyone seen anything like this?
    Did you find the fix for this issue? I am currently having the same problem and would like a little help if you could. Thanks

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    The low voltage code would make me think, battery cable connections or the contacts inside the PTO switch.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kobercw View Post
    Did you find the fix for this issue? I am currently having the same problem and would like a little help if you could. Thanks
    If the pto is staying engaged for 30 - 45 minutes before cutting out, I would check the pto solenoid with an ohmmeter. ohm reading should be between 8 - 12 ohms. If it checks ok when cold, recheck it after pto shuts down and solenoid is still warm. If less than 8 ohms, replace it.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmills View Post
    I have a 2016 5085E. I found out that the seat has a safety switch that will cut off the PTO if I lift my weight off the seat a little, for SAFETY. ALSO, the PTO switch can have burned contact inside and make the PTO drop off intermittently. Same switch is on my ZERO turn commercial mower. Had to change it once with the same problems you are having.
    Hope this aids your troubleshooting a little. BTW, the switch is an easy replacement, if that is the issue. I ohmed mine with a meter and found the switch was trashed.
    Good luck!
    my 5105m's pto will run without me in the seat ....just beeps at me as a warning...
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-17-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    BigJim55 and theduke like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements