• 1 Post By Zebrafive
  • 2 Post By Superglidesport

Thread: Alternator light on JD 2030

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks

Alternator light on JD 2030

Last time I used the 2030 the alternator light came on dim just as I was putting it away and had idled down for a 2 minute cool down. I am think no biggy, just low rpms.

Yesterday I wanted to finish brush hog mowing at the farm. At start up, the alternator light was on bright, increase rpms and it dimmed.

I shut it down. Cleaned the 4 battery terminals, the 2 ground cables connections, and checked the positive connection at the starter. Then checked connections on the back of the alternator and belt tension. All good. Since this tractor has no electronics and if the lights are off, no electrical loads when running. I started it back up and mowed for 3 hours.

My guess is the 44 year old alternator is the problem, maybe the brushes are worn out? Next guess is the regulator.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Last time I used the 2030 the alternator light came on dim just as I was putting it away and had idled down for a 2 minute cool down. I am think no biggy, just low rpms.

Yesterday I wanted to finish brush hog mowing at the farm. At start up, the alternator light was on bright, increase rpms and it dimmed.

I shut it down. Cleaned the 4 battery terminals, the 2 ground cables connections, and checked the positive connection at the starter. Then checked connections on the back of the alternator and belt tension. All good. Since this tractor has no electronics and if the lights are off, no electrical loads when running. I started it back up and mowed for 3 hours.

My guess is the 44 year old alternator is the problem, maybe the brushes are worn out? Next guess is the regulator.
    Or the diode pack.
    You can drop a diode or two out of the six and still put out a somewhat reasonable voltage, but the charging current is not up to par.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    I swapped in another alternator I had. Alt light is now out, so alternator, not regulator.

I plan to pull the brushes and see what they look like; how short, stuck?

Can the diodes be checked without taking it apart? Not something I want to do.
    JD parts shows three different diode part numbers, but says Contact dealer when I try and put them in the "cart". I am guessing NLA, but we can sell you a rebuilt one. I did not price that, since there were two different ones. I need to check the P/N on mine.

I can buy new, aftermarket, for a $90 on eBay. I have no idea what it would cost to have the old one rebuilt
    Superglidesport likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I swapped in another alternator I had. Alt light is now out, so alternator, not regulator.

I plan to pull the brushes and see what they look like; how short, stuck?

Can the diodes be checked without taking it apart? Not something I want to do.
    JD parts shows three different diode part numbers, but says Contact dealer when I try and put them in the "cart". I am guessing NLA, but we can sell you a rebuilt one. I did not price that, since there were two different ones. I need to check the P/N on mine.

I can buy new, aftermarket, for a $90 on eBay. I have no idea what it would cost to have the old one rebuilt
    It appears they used a few different alternators on the 2030. The individual diodes are either pressed into a carrier or part of a sealed assembly. In either case the diode assembly should be replaced along with brushes and bearings after disassembly and inspection.

Some alternator designs allow for individual replacement of the diodes. In your case each of these alternators use a diode assembly that appears to require replacement.
    BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch