Green Tractor Talk banner

Thinking of buying a 5075M

18K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DamonSmathers 
#1 ·
I would like to replace my 4720 with a 5075M anyone have any experience with the 5075M, I’ve looked a both the 5075M & E. Am not impressed with the 5075E. any thoughts out there?

#2 ·
I would love to replace my 2030 with a 5065M. I don't need that much HP, so I would not want any bigger. I would also want an M over an E series.

#3 ·
That's a move I would make in a heartbeat. The M is good tractor that's been around a while. I kept the 4520 but traded another tractor in for a 5085e which is completely different from the 5075E series. That tractor has been around a long time and is proven. I love mine. Much better build than the 55/65/75E tractors...
The M was just a little too much money

#4 · (Edited)
Not really a though but am curious why everyone loves to knock the 5E 3 cylinder series? People claim they suck, but I've not seen that. In fact I found it to be a more impressive tractor than a new Kubota M7060 and MF 2606H at least as far as test drives at the dealerships goes. I think many people like to hate on the 3 cylinder 5E series because it's made in India, but at the same time not really. What I mean by that is I know people who work at the JD plant in Grovetown/Augusta, GA and they're all under the impression that they build all the 5E series tractors (3 and 4 cylinder) because they still get put together there, and I assume they all ride down an assembly line in GA even if they're technically built in India. I mean I worked as a Tool Maker at Husqvarna in Orangeburg, SC for years and that's where all the Husqvarna (along with many other popular brands) riding lawnmowers are built. Many of these mowers have Kawasaki motors so does that make them Japanese lawnmowers? Now along with assembling them we built the chassis's and stamps all the body panels, painted them, etc, but you can see my logic, and the 5E 3 cylinder tractors still help employ many Merikans during its construction. Reason I'm saying this is because I don't have a good reason as to why people on the internet always act like these are such poorly built machines. I mean everyone on the tractor forums seems to know 10 different people who've owned 5E 3 cylinder tractors, and they were all lemons instead of limes, and modern Asian brand tractors like Kubota, Kioti, LS, Mahindra, etc (BTW who buys these tractors other than internet forum people? Around here if it's not JD then it's Kubota, or NH, or Case IH, or MF, and maybe a Mahinda sometimes. I don't really ever see these new tractor brands that seem to be popular on the internet) are all somehow better than their equivalent JD counterpart, but I've not seen it. Most people around here who have experience with them seem to think that they're pretty decent machines as far as I can tell. I mean there's enough of them around here, and they are easily my local dealers best selling tractor according to them. I don't think I've ever known anyone who owned a 5M series tractor so which series of tractor is really more important to JD? Also I'm sure many parts are shared between 3 cylinder 5E tractors, 4 cylinder 5E tractors and 5M tractors.

Would I buy a 5075M? Heck no! It's a way overpriced tractor IMHO. It's not worth it compared to a 5075E. My very nice 2018 5075E is more than capable of performing my haying needs and whatever other loader, discing, etc work I might need it for. It's maneuverable, has a chit ton of visibility, has enough weight for what I need it for, and little things that I thought I wasn't going to give 2 chits about as far as revisions for the 2018 3 cylinder models are actually great. I love the hand throttle on the fender, and I thought that I would care less about it, but unless I'm doing loader work I don't even use the foot throttle on this tractor as the hand throttle holds the RPM's I want much better when bouncing around, and It's in the perfect spot to rest my little ol'e hand on. Also the repositioned foot throttle is way better than it was for the times when you do use the foot throttle, as is the bigger seat, bigger deck with noticeably more leg room, larger fuel tank, etc compared to the outgoing 3 cylinder 5E. Did I mention the visibility on this thing? I did but I'm going to do it again. Without the loader on it this tractor has more visibility than any other tractor I've experienced in its class. I have to be careful as the tractor shrinks around you and I forget sometimes how large it is when I'm working under trees or in tighter area's. I'm use to older Fords, and Deeres, and Farmalls, and Allis- Chalmers, and Longs, and maybe a MF here and there and you don't realize just how great having a lot of visibily right in front of you without having to look to the side is until you experience a tractor where you can see what's right in front of it. Even something like an 8N doesn't have this much visibility.

With all that said if this was The Karate Kid, and I waxed on and waxed off all your tractors, and you told me to take my pick on whichever one I wanted, and the choices boiled down to either a 5075E or 5075M I'd pick the M without hesitating. It's a bigger/nicer tractor. More weight, bigger tires, better features, supposedly better built, I'm sure more capable hydraulic systems, etc. It's more heavy duty I'm sure. Probably noticeably better as a plow horse, but maybe not such an improvement for PTO work if they make similar power. I think you can get better than just a 12x12 tranny on an M though, and I'm not sure how much power the 5075M makes at the PTO compared to the 75E. I will say that IMO it's kind of an underpowered tractor for It's size and price range. I think for the same money you can get a more capable tractor. If I was considering a new 5075M I'd start really looking at other new tractors like maybe a MF 4700 series tractor in the 90 to 100 HP range.

JMO but if I'm going to spend 5075M type money it would be for more than a 75 HP tractor.

#5 ·
Thinking of buying a 5075 m

Like you, I struggled with the e vs m debate. I did a lot of research and got a lot of good insight from contributors from this forum. The 75 and 100 e's are undoubtedly good machines because Deere has sold a ton of them. The early Def transition models had a few issues but the auto regen appears to have solved them. What made me lean toward the 100 hp models was the 4 cyl engine. It's the same bullet proof turbo 4 that has been used for decades with great results. When I settled on the 4 cyl and minimum 100 hp, I concentrated on the e vs m. It really comes down to comfort and use. The m is a mid frame tractor with higher output hyd pump, greater rear hitch lift capacity, and heavier overall weight. It also overs the premium cab and air seat along with a 32x16 trans option with high/low button. Sure, the e could perform most tasks I ran up against, and for about 20% less money. But for me, the premium features, extra weight and capability were important, and I knew I would regret not getting the machine I really wanted. In the end, I bit the bullet and ordered a 2018 5100m from our local Deere dealer back in February. I was told last week it has a mid July build date. I will share my experience once it finally arrives. I believe the decision making on a tractor purchase is uniquely personal and more nerve racking than just about any other capital purchase we make, but is sure is fun. Good luck with your decision.

#6 ·
I have a 5075e and it does everything I have asked it to do so far. It has around 400 hours on it now and I have worked it pretty good so far. I run a New Holland 575 baler, a 10 foot swather and a 7 ft snow blade in the winter. I might some day sell the 5075e and purchase a larger tractor simply because my equipment keeps growing in size, but so far I have no plans to do that.

As others have said, it all depends on what you will be doing. Don't purchase a more expensive M series tractor if you won't use it to its full potential. I farm around 60-70 acres of alfalfa and grass hay and the 5075e has more than enough power and features to keep me going all day long. The 2.9L John Deere uses in these tractors have stood the test of time and they use them in A LOT of their equipment. I have not heard of any issues with these engines so I wouldn't be afraid to purchase one again. The most hours I have seen on one so far is around 4000, but that was on a 2012 model if I remember right.

I am not sure why people claim the 5e series from John Deere are "crap". Other than making assumptions from it being built in India I guess. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: arlen
#7 ·
I think a lot of the hate came from the fact that quite a few 3cyl E's had spongy brake syndrome. Also, In my experience, Indian metals are not really that great, so I think people assumed that they were bad for that reason as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.