• 2 Post By 2mtrucks
  • 2 Post By JROC

Thread: My First Regen 2015 5065e

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks

My First Regen 2015 5065e

Well today at 49 hours I had my first regen. This tractor is a 2015 that I bought new in February 2016 from Muttons in Ft. Wayne IN. I did not take possession until April 2016 because the 240 loader was backordered. I put on more hours in winter than summer if its snowy, but it hasn't been, hence the 49 hours. I have been careful to avoid excessive idle time or anything that could lead to DPF plugging. Anyway, I was out mowing and the orange exhaust temperature indicator came on and the pitch of the engine changed. I could literally feel the heat of the engine and exhaust from the seat. (OOS). Having never had a tractor with a DPF system I did go get the owners manual and quickly read through it, setting the throttle at 2000 RPMs while I did so. In typical John Deere fashion it was vague and uninformative. The regen took about 55 minutes, and for the most part I just kept mowing. When I did stop, I kept the RPMs at 1800 since that's what JD says a PARKED regen requires. There was nothing I could find in the manual that says how long a regen should take or what RPMs it should be operated at...but I may have overlooked this. I was kind of nervous...I hate all this emission crap. I own several diesel trucks with DPF/DEF systems there in no question it has compromised the longevity, reliability and ownership cost on each one. If this only happens every 50 hours I can live with it. Before I bought this tractor I read the competing brand's regen horror stories...and came to the conclusion JD had the best system. I still think that's true. As I said I only have 50 hours/2 yrs 2mos...but so far its been a good tractor. Its easy on fuel, stops on a dime, climbs like a goat, tons of power and heavy enough to do real work.
    Kennyd, arlen, Drifterbike and 3 others like this.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    Pardon, what's the meaning of 'regen'. German "Regen" means rain. Is regen a short form for regeneration?
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd.rasentrac View Post
    Pardon, what's the meaning of 'regen'. German "Regen" means rain. Is regen a short form for regeneration?
    Yes, regen is short for regeneration.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nastorino For This Useful Post:

jd.rasentrac (07-12-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-10-2018 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    I wish it meant "rain"

A few more things....

The new Tier 4 engines are very hard on engine oil. Stick with JD or equivalent engine oil.

Be prepared to change before the service interval because the oil fouls sooner than non-Tier 4 engine types and this causes piston ring wear due to soot fouling.

No question that the added EGR and emissions items like the DPF filter add to more engine stress in the form of heat and contamination.

Also, I'm sure your doing this-- but let the engine "idle down" after hard use or DPF cleaning for at least two minutes to allow the turbo to cool off and not "coke" the engine oil.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to placer For This Useful Post:

2mtrucks (07-11-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by placer View Post
    I wish it meant "rain"

A few more things....

The new Tier 4 engines are very hard on engine oil. Stick with JD or equivalent engine oil.

Be prepared to change before the service interval because the oil fouls sooner than non-Tier 4 engine types and this causes piston ring wear due to soot fouling.

No question that the added EGR and emissions items like the DPF filter add to more engine stress in the form of heat and contamination.

Also, I'm sure your doing this-- but let the engine "idle down" after hard use or DPF cleaning for at least two minutes to allow the turbo to cool off and not "coke" the engine oil.
    Thank you for this advice. I did let the motor idle down because of that exact concern. And will follow the advise on oil changes too. The gentleman from Germany may have never heard of a "regen" because perhaps the politicians in his country are not as stupid as the ones here.
    BigJim55 and Big like this.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Hopefully by this time in 4.5 years when my warranty is up someone would have developed a emissions delete setup for these tractors. Forcing these kinds of emissions regulations on off-road tractors makes about as much sense as forcing magazine capacity limitations on Americans. The government is asserting themselves and going the wrong way to try and solve an issue.

Lets think about this. Doesn't the DPF sensors on these tractors read pressure in the DPF to determine when it needs to regen? If so could you just use a restrictive muffler, maybe something like a catyletic convertor or DOC to fool the computers into thinking that it's a newly regened tractor? Also I was reading a few months back on a tractor forum and I'm pretty sure I read where someone was saying about either these Tier4 MF or Mahindra tractors (can't remember which) that don't use DPF's will take an EGR delete without giving issues. IDK how true that is, but would deleting the EGR on these tractors cause them to act up? Just throwing a delete kit on one should be pretty simple.

If diesel emissions had no real negatives them I would have no problem with them, but other than burning cleaner (and that's debatable for some) everything about them is a negative. Higher cost to produce, more complicated, way less reliable, much higher maintenance costs, very noticeable reduction in fuel economy so higher fuel costs and more fuel being burn into the atmosphere, etc.
    Georgia_Johndeere and 1010 like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 05:46 AM
    Thanks
    400 hours on our 5065E and only regenerated once. I had the same reaction as y'all did when it happened though..what the heck is going on? what should I do? Engine or the exhaust pipe got real hot (I think it was just the exhaust). Anyway...it really hasn't been an issue since then. The extra emissions stuff on these engines does add to the complexity, but I have read differing views on the engine impacts/longevity. I think the regen on this tractor was also around 50 hours, but I was not minding the rpms as well as i should have. Since the regen I have made a point of staying above 1500 rpm when stopped, not using the 540E setting as much when mowing, and mowing at full throttle when on regular 540 setting. Not sure if that has helped or not but I have not had a regen since.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor

12. The Following User Says Thank You to meyerld For This Useful Post:

2mtrucks (07-13-2018)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-22-2019 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    When you dump raw fuel into the exhaust and ignite it that warm thing happens real fast.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I am out of warranty and would like to delete also but its probably all but impossible unless you know a genius mechanic with access to JD computers and software. Unlike diesel trucks, I think every manufacturer probably has their own proprietary software , scanners, computer etc. Almost all newer diesel cars and trucks, including heavy duties, run a variant of federally mandated OBD II systems that have been in place since 1996. This provides some commonality across brands and allowed passenger vehicles and trucks to not become captives of the manufacturers as far as service and maintenance goes. It also provides much larger economies of scale for anyone wishing to develop or manufacture a product...even if its a product to subvert emissions. Its not too likely that a delete kit would have a broad enough appeal to make it profitable, especially considering the variables of engine displacement, horsepower, model years and the like. Even if you could develop the mechanical hardware, you would still need to have a software program to "fool" the on board computer into working correctly. So we will all most likely be visiting our JD dealers for many years to come. Maybe someone should come up with tractor "Glider Kits" to circumvent emissions like the Class 8 semi-tractor business has. I have looked online and have not found any info on utility tractor deletes but found some on the much larger Big Ag tractors.
    Last edited by 2mtrucks; 07-14-2018 at 08:02 AM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements