Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 4010 diesel starter needed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks

4010 diesel starter needed

My step father in law needs a starter for his 4010 diesel, 24v. His local starter shop in this small town is allergic to work, and research, and so advised him to buy a new one.

At yesterdaystractors.com,

I've found one online for $380 + core charge (shipping's gotta be expensive for the core to send back?).

I've also run across a 12v conversion kit that does not mention a core needing to be returned, comes with an alternator, instructions etc, for the same price.

1) Should we be running full speed to the 12v conversion? It seems financially smarter both short term and long term. I'm not convinced his tractor's charging system is all that great. Every other couple of weeks he seems to be charging the batteries.

2) How well does a single 12v battery start this thing "as good as" 4 batteries running a stock starter?

3) Anything else to consider? This isn't a show tractor, and doesn't get used very often. But reliability would be nice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:40 PM
    Thanks
    I believe you are going to need 2 12v batteries in parallel, Have you looked a DB electrical for a starter.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM2940 View Post
    I believe you are going to need 2 12v batteries in parallel, Have you looked a DB electrical for a starter.
    I've had great success from DB Electrical, with a starter I bought for my Honda Accord. It's a rare version, V6 6-sp manual (2006 car) and DB was the only place I found that was not huge dollars. (The starters for the zillions of auto trans V6 cars are reasonable.)

But I saw nothing on DB's site about 12v conversion kits and am not interested in piecing it together from scratch. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    If I owned a JD tractor with 24 volt system that required a new starter it definitely would get a new 12 VOLT starter in lieu of a 24 volt. Yes the two 12 volt batteries would need to be changed to attached parallel instead of series & the brown supply wire relocated to top solenoid post to join the blue wire.
    DRobinson likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,230 Posts
    All State Ag Parts also sells the Conversion Kit. Comes with a Voltage Gauge. $365.

DRobinson and dieselshadow like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    DRobinson, johnH123 and goat704! like this.
    Michael

1984 JD 750 Tractor

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sounds good. And thanks for the legwork, flyweight. I noticed Rare Electrical appears to sell the same kit Walmart does, also with free shipping.

Talked to my step father in law yesterday. At first he was against the idea because he said 24v systems start faster? I told him I have no dog in that fight, I was only wanting him to be aware of his options.

Battery charging would also be a bonus for him; his generator hasn't worked in years. But he said he could get about a month's work done before having to charge them up since he uses zero electrical on the tractor, and it needs none to run.

I told him about the fuel gauge no longer working with the conversion, but he uses a stick anyway ... his fuel gauge hasn't worked in years.

Bonus questions, for anyone still reading:

1) I'd like to replace his faulty starter button while I'm at it; I suppose a normal button for a 4010 will also work here?

2) Converting to 12v, is there still a benefit to installing a battery cutoff switch, in terms of batteries getting drained from something?

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Same starter button for both 12 or 24 volt. Changing to 12 volt should eliminate voltage drain which is normally caused by brush dust in 24 volt starters
    deckeda likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    question, for anyone still reading:

1) I'd like to replace his faulty starter button while I'm at it; I suppose a normal button for a 4010 will also work here?
    Tx Jim answered that one.

Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    2) Converting to 12v, is there still a benefit to installing a battery cutoff switch, in terms of batteries getting drained from something?
    Taking into consideration the condition of all other electrical components, once converted to 12 volt you shouldn't have a problem.
    Of course, it's always a good idea to install a Battery cut-off switch. If so, install it on the Negative side of the system.
    The reason for the installation on the Negative Side, the Negative Cable is already grounded to the body/frame. No damage will be done if the terminals on the back side of the switch comes into contact with something.

If it were to be installed on the Positive Side of the switch, and the terminals were to come into contact with a metal item, it will create a direct short-circuit. Bad things can happen.
    wildbranch2007 and deckeda like this.
    Michael

1984 JD 750 Tractor

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    The conversion kit came today and it looks pretty straightforward. We'll begin tomorrow.

Once the hood, floor panel, dash panel are apart I'll be able to trace what goes to what, but in the meantime ... This bracket and the twin, uh, relays/resistors/whatever ... what are they and do I need to retain them?

In this image, the pink wire in the background (dangling in front of the starter bolts) went to the old starter solenoid's small post. So did also the single, light blue wire (yellow butt connector). The clipped yellow wire is a mystery. The single pink wire (yellow butt connector) goes back to behind the dash. And then there are the double blue wires and the double pink wires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4010 starter wiring.jpg  
    Last edited by deckeda; 08-09-2018 at 05:33 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast