1020 - Manual to Power Steering?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1020 - Manual to Power Steering?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks

1020 - Manual to Power Steering?

Hello everyone. I have searched the internet on multiple occasions to find answers, but nothing directly gets me what I need. I have a 1966-67 JD 1020 with manual steering that is becoming very stiff to the point that I hesitate using it. I have greased everything that I am aware of, but would like to know what it would take to install power steering. I have seen the "kits" that consist of hydraulic pumps and cylinders that attach to the draglinks. I have not heard anything about these add ons, good or bad. I am wanting something more "factory". I believe my tractor has closed center hydraulics. Serial number is 061614. Can I replace the manual steering column with a power unit without a lot of parts? How would I plumb the hydraulic pressure lines? Would I need additional valves, etc.? Just trying to determine the best way to accomplish this. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Exactly WHICH 5065E unit do you have --- TIER III (muffler exits on left side of hood) or TIER IV (muffler exits on right side of hood) ??

Check my posts over the last few years about hydraulic overheating problems on 5065E TIER III models. Been through it all --- hissing, overheating hydraulics, burned fuel tanks ( 2 of 'em), burnt hydraulic -transmission oil, failed rockshaft & 3 point lift

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    Power steering could be added by installing the factory type valve assembly from a donor tractor. One would also need to change hyd supply line from pump to clutch housing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RWP4038________UN01JAN94.jpg  
    DRobinson likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Camlocker75 (08-22-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by couv View Post
    Exactly WHICH 5065E unit do you have --- TIER III (muffler exits on left side of hood) or TIER IV (muffler exits on right side of hood) ??

Check my posts over the last few years about hydraulic overheating problems on 5065E TIER III models. Been through it all --- hissing, overheating hydraulics, burned fuel tanks ( 2 of 'em), burnt hydraulic -transmission oil, failed rockshaft & 3 point lift
    I think you replied to incorrect post as 1020 has closed center hyd's & 5065E has open center hyd's.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Camlocker75 (08-22-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Camlocker75 View Post
    Hello everyone. I have searched the internet on multiple occasions to find answers, but nothing directly gets me what I need. I have a 1966-67 JD 1020 with manual steering that is becoming very stiff to the point that I hesitate using it. I have greased everything that I am aware of, but would like to know what it would take to install power steering. I have seen the "kits" that consist of hydraulic pumps and cylinders that attach to the draglinks. I have not heard anything about these add ons, good or bad. I am wanting something more "factory". I believe my tractor has closed center hydraulics. Serial number is 061614. Can I replace the manual steering column with a power unit without a lot of parts? How would I plumb the hydraulic pressure lines? Would I need additional valves, etc.? Just trying to determine the best way to accomplish this. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Welcome to GTT
    Power steering could be added by installing the factory type valve assembly from a donor tractor. One would also need to change hyd supply line from pump to clutch housing.

Click here → → Remanufactured Power Steering units are available.

You'll need to supply pressured oil to the power steering unit via the high pressure supply line from the main hydraulic pump.

In the drawing below, you'll need to install a supply line fitting and o-ring(#10, #11), where the plastic plug is located(see Red Arrow in photo).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a photo of the factory installed Power Steering supply line(Red Arrow below). Since your tractor was built without Power Steering, you'll need to Tap into the supply line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Below is the Oil Supply drawing. Line #100 is the high pressure supply line, from the main hydraulic pump, to the Pressure Control Valve(PCV).
    Line #36 is the Oil Supply line to the Power Steering unit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show.png   L13683_________UN12FEB98.gif   steering-valve-assembly-remanufactured-john-deere-al31515-205195_0_1.jpg   prodaje-se-john-deere-2020-ls-slika-48657919-220120171704402535.jpg   2040hydraulic - Copy.JPG  

Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

Camlocker75 (08-22-2018)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Tractors without factory power steering will not have a pressure control valve.
    BigJim55 and flyweight like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Camlocker75 (08-23-2018)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for your knowledge getting my project started. However, if my tractor does not have a pressure control valve, what is the result if I add a new power steering column and plumb it in to the pressure side of the hydraulics? How would the fluid (if any) be returned to the system? This is where my knowledge becomes limited. Would there be enough pressure to operate the unit effectively since there would not be a dedicated pump to pressurize the steering column, only tapping into a pressurized line operating the tractors hydraulics. Apologies for asking so many questions, but I do not want spend a lot of money ($800+) and not achieve the desired results of a usable power steering system.

TxJim, I just reread your post: One would also need to change hyd supply line from pump to clutch housing. Can you please elaborate on this?
    Last edited by Camlocker75; 08-22-2018 at 08:24 PM.

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Camlocker75 View Post
    TxJim, I just reread your post: One would also need to change hyd supply line from pump to clutch housing. Can you please elaborate on this?
    flyweight has already posted a drawing on where added power steering receives it's hyd supply oil from. I reposted his drawing. 1020's without factory closed center power steering utilize a 90° fitting(key 11 2nd photo) in lieu of pressure control valve. Hyd line(key 31) is for manual steering & hyd line(key 32) is for CC power steering. If you decided to install closed center power steering without installing pressure control valve then power steering would operate but would not have priority oil pressure over other hyd functions similar to tractors with pressure control valve. PC valve can be added at additional expense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG   RWP5475________UN01JAN94.gif  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 08-23-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    DRobinson likes this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Camlocker75 (08-23-2018)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    One last question, will I need have any return lines for the oil coming into the steering unit? I have read older posts that indicate drilling into the case, but is this necessary as I don't have a power unit, only manual.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Great site and great folks.
    Last edited by Camlocker75; 08-23-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    DRobinson likes this.

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Tractors without factory power steering will not have a pressure control valve.
    Dang-it, Jim. I forgot about that.
    We didn't see too many non-power steering tractors in our parts.
    DRobinson likes this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast