Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Brand new 5065e has overheating hydraulic oil warning

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-05-2018 @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks

Question Brand new 5065e has overheating hydraulic oil warning

Greetings,

I've been reviewing threads for hydraulic oil heat warning problems and have seen very similar queries but not with a brand new tractor. I do not live close to a dealer so I am trying to figure it out.

My new 5065 now has 35 hours and around 23 hours the hydraulic oil hot warning light started up. I received the new tractor with backhoe and frontier root grapple attached. I did 12-15 hours of work with no heat light warning. After I took off the backhoe and switched to a bushhog, the light came one after a few hours of work. Since then, it's been coming on in 45 minutes unless I am just driving it or using the grapple lightly. I checked troubleshooting in the manual and the oil level was slightly low but I added more to fill and the light is still coming on. I have not checked any filters except to see no leaks. The oil looks new and perfectly clean -no bubbles- in the level glass.

I called my dealer to ask if I should have connected the two (male and female) lines after detaching the backhoe. He said yes but when I did that the rockshaft quit working entirely (plus I had to swap out the male hydraulic fittings as the two on the tractor would not mate because male was too long). So I unplugged them and replaced dust caps and left lines hanging. Then rockshaft worked perfectly. I told him what happened and he said it might not be the same with smaller models he deals with. The backhoe manual does not specify what to do with the lines in a 5000 series. Maybe that's something? Is there some other reason the rockshaft would instantly quit working when I plumbed them together?

Also, is it normal for the rockshaft to only work when the SVC control lever is engaged? When it is, it hisses. So I have to turn it on and off when I want to raise rockshaft. Seems odd.

Dealer said to check the air intake but I did it all looks clean. Everything is still lot-new looking inside except a little dust. It has done some heavy work already in these first hours but not much.

Another thing I have noticed is that the grapple hydraulics in the boom frame seem to be "hissing" when I'm not operating joy stick. sort of like the sound when you raise rockshaft into max height and hold. I don't know what could be causing this sound. When I move stick the sound stops. Maybe this has something to do with it? I've inspected lines and connections, everything looks spiffy clean and dry.

Please help I have a ton of work to do.

thanks
    Last edited by Roots; 08-21-2018 at 10:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-20-2019 @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    someone didn't set up the hydraulics correctly.
    Kennyd and Zebrafive like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Any idea what could be wrong in the set up? perhaps related with backhoe lines?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Hyd lines supplying BH with oil should be attached together when BH is removed on tractors with open center hyd's such as your 5065E. I don't understand why 3 pt hitch is inoperable with these BH lines are attached together.
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 08-22-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    Zebrafive likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Hyd lines supplying BH with oil should be attached together when BH is removed on tractors with open center hyd's such as your 5065E. I don't understand why 3 pt hitch is inoperable with these BH lines are attached together.
    Thanks for the info. much obliged.

This is the pic of the back. These are short and hard to connect, but they do fit since I replaced the male with the male from the BH. But then I get no rockshaft.

Is it always the case with a 5065 that you have to activate the SVC to lift the rockshaft?

I will connect them again and see if I'm missing something. When I did it before it just stopped lifting, then started again after I disconnected these two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	644332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	644332
    Last edited by Roots; 08-22-2018 at 10:11 AM.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    I’d be bringing everything back to the desler ASAP. If you’ve been operating the machine for long periods with the lines disconnected, then you most likely have overheated the fluid, weakened the pressure relief valve, and possibly damaged the hydraulic pump. It should have been very clear, either from the manuals or walkthrough by the dealer that the power beyond lines must be connect at all times, either together or to the backhoe.

Plus, as John mentioned above, it sounds like they did not setup the PB lines correctly in the first place.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Agreed, dealer installed the power beyond WRONG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    Greetings,

I've been reviewing threads for hydraulic oil heat warning problems and have seen very similar queries but not with a brand new tractor. I do not live close to a dealer so I am trying to figure it out.

My new 5065 now has 35 hours and around 23 hours the hydraulic oil hot warning light started up. I received the new tractor with backhoe and frontier root grapple attached. I did 12-15 hours of work with no heat light warning. After I took off the backhoe and switched to a bushhog, the light came one after a few hours of work. Since then, it's been coming on in 45 minutes unless I am just driving it or using the grapple lightly. I checked troubleshooting in the manual and the oil level was slightly low but I added more to fill and the light is still coming on. I have not checked any filters except to see no leaks. The oil looks new and perfectly clean -no bubbles- in the level glass.

I called my dealer to ask if I should have connected the two (male and female) lines after detaching the backhoe. He said yes but when I did that the rockshaft quit working entirely (plus I had to swap out the male hydraulic fittings as the two on the tractor would not mate because male was too long). So I unplugged them and replaced dust caps and left lines hanging. Then rockshaft worked perfectly. I told him what happened and he said it might not be the same with smaller models he deals with. The backhoe manual does not specify what to do with the lines in a 5000 series. Maybe that's something? Is there some other reason the rockshaft would instantly quit working when I plumbed them together?

Also, is it normal for the rockshaft to only work when the SVC control lever is engaged? When it is, it hisses. So I have to turn it on and off when I want to raise rockshaft. Seems odd.

Dealer said to check the air intake but I did it all looks clean. Everything is still lot-new looking inside except a little dust. It has done some heavy work already in these first hours but not much.

Another thing I have noticed is that the grapple hydraulics in the boom frame seem to be "hissing" when I'm not operating joy stick. sort of like the sound when you raise rockshaft into max height and hold. I don't know what could be causing this sound. When I move stick the sound stops. Maybe this has something to do with it? I've inspected lines and connections, everything looks spiffy clean and dry.

Please help I have a ton of work to do.

thanks
    You must connect hose from power beyond when not in use. Sounds like it's installed wrong.
    You should NOT have to operate a SCV to make rockshaft work.
    I would have the dealer SEND a tech out to correct power beyond installation.
    If YOU want to do the work your self, have the dealer send you the install instructions for the power beyond kit and check it was done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I’d be bringing everything back to the desler ASAP. If you’ve been operating the machine for long periods with the lines disconnected, then you most likely have overheated the fluid, weakened the pressure relief valve, and possibly damaged the hydraulic pump. It should have been very clear, either from the manuals or walkthrough by the dealer that the power beyond lines must be connect at all times, either together or to the backhoe.

Plus, as John mentioned above, it sounds like they did not setup the PB lines correctly in the first place.
    Take it in, or have them pick it up (at NO charge), or send out a tech to fix it,
    johnH123 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    speculation....you suppose they didn’t put the plug in the valve for PBY??

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Agreed, dealer installed the power beyond WRONG!!!!!

You must connect hose from power beyond when not in use. Sounds like it's installed wrong.
    You should NOT have to operate a SCV to make rockshaft work.
    I would have the dealer SEND a tech out to correct power beyond installation.
    If YOU want to do the work your self, have the dealer send you the install instructions for the power beyond kit and check it was done right.

Thanks. I connected the power beyond lines and played with it a little more. Rockshaft still would not rise, still the same as the moment I took off the backhoe. I found that if I moved grapple joystick right or left the rockshaft finally raised, but only when I am moving joystick simultaneously with rockshaft lever in up position. the same was true for SVC function with a grader blade I hooked on. Talked with dealer who mentioned the switch that alternates hydraulic control between curl and grasp grapple functions should be in off position. So I left the switch off, but still the same result of only raising with right left joystick. I sent pictures to see if it is plumbed wrong or who knows. The dealer has been very responsive, I hope we get to the bottom of it quick!

Good news is the hot oil light did not come on, but then again I wasn't doing any work and only ran it for about 30 minutes.

Thank you for your helpful comments
    Last edited by Roots; 08-22-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feasant View Post
    speculation....you suppose they didn’t put the plug in the valve for PBY??
    Where would this be? At a line hookup in the PBY?

You might be onto something.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast