Prospective JD 5 Series Buyer ( First Time buyer)
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Zebrafive
  • 1 Post By christendean
  • 1 Post By JDDriver95
  • 1 Post By Jet Dr.

Thread: Prospective JD 5 Series Buyer ( First Time buyer)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-11-2018 @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks

Prospective JD 5 Series Buyer ( First Time buyer)

Hi Everyone, I’m hoping to gain some insight and wisdom from the users here; I have a few questions.

Please bare with me; I know I’m seriously unversed when it comes to tractors.
    ( I’ve only had 3 years experience with operating a CAT 216B skid-steer. )

1. Can anyone tell me which, if any backhoe attachments are available for the 5 series? If so, are they operable from inside the cab?

2. I’m wanting to do a significant amount of landscape work along with stable bedding, veg / row crop, some small square bales, I must note the landscape work on ground that ranges from clay to a reddish soil type, and typical lawned/flower bed garden soil too.

I’ve estimated ideal lifting capacity with the loader to be up to 800kg per load to maximise efficiency of handling the stable bedding materials and or any other materials.

Is grading and levelling clay and similar hard ground going to be too strenuous on the typical loaders as supposed to a TLB/backhoe loader?

What would be the advisable HP for this range of work , I’m also trying to work out the appropriate considerations regarding the PTO.
    I see the 540e pto option would reduce fuel costs. But how does one determine the appropriate mower, tiller, wood splitter/chipper etc.

Oh I guess I should include, context is a 10acre coastal small holding with a lot of the land on a incline of up to 30į in some areas. Im thinking a flex-wing mowers might be appropriate?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by christendean View Post
    Hi Everyone, Iím hoping to gain some insight and wisdom from the users here; I have a few questions.

Please bare with me; I know Iím seriously unversed when it comes to tractors.
    ( Iíve only had 3 years experience with operating a CAT 216B skid-steer. )

1. Can anyone tell me which, if any backhoe attachments are available for the 5 series? If so, are they operable from inside the cab?

2. Iím wanting to do a significant amount of landscape work along with stable bedding, veg / row crop, some small square bales, I must note the landscape work on ground that ranges from clay to a reddish soil type, and typical lawned/flower bed garden soil too.

Iíve estimated ideal lifting capacity with the loader to be up to 800kg per load to maximise efficiency of handling the stable bedding materials and or any other materials.

Is grading and levelling clay and similar hard ground going to be too strenuous on the typical loaders as supposed to a TLB/backhoe loader?

What would be the advisable HP for this range of work , Iím also trying to work out the appropriate considerations regarding the PTO.
    I see the 540e pto option would reduce fuel costs. But how does one determine the appropriate mower, tiller, wood splitter/chipper etc.

Oh I guess I should include, context is a 10acre coastal small holding with a lot of the land on a incline of up to 30į in some areas. Im thinking a flex-wing mowers might be appropriate?

Thanks in advance!
    Which 5 series are you considering? 5D, 5e, 5M, older 5X10, 5X20, 5X25 series?

There are backhoes available, from Deere and others, but not for in cab use that I know of.

If you are comparing to a Construction TLB, there will be no comparison, a construction TLB probably weighs twice as much and weight is your friend when working dirt.

The ePTO is great for a mower that you have more than enough PTO HP for, but if your flex wing mower needs all or most of your PTO HP, ePTO will not have enough HP. For the tiller you will also need full PTO HP. A chipper and post hole digger would run on ePTO. A log splitter would only use your hydraulics, unless you are considering a PTO driven hydraulic pump. Manufactures will list required HP for their equipment. One "rule of thumb" for mowers 5HP per foot of cut width.

For 30į slopes, I would want MFWD
    Kennyd, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-11-2018 @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thank Zebrafive, this is great direction and food for thought to narrow it down...

Well, I was thinking maybe 5E... The 5Rs (5090R & 5125R 's shown on youtube) are how I came to discover the 5 series.
    Though I'm thinking even a 5090R might be over-kill?

I'm beginning to think that's really where my hang up is, identifying which PTO option and the associated HP is appropriate.

But at least with that ''rule of thumb'' i can now estimate and watch for options that are close to the estimate HP.

Glad to see i was on the right track thinking MFWD.

Perhaps, I'm just too new to these finer details.

Thanks again Zebrafive
    Zebrafive likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by christendean View Post

I Just found the JD 595 backhoe for the 5 series. (just ask google you will find it then)

regarding your question if you can operate the backhoe from inside the cab, I think the same like Zebrafive. The only way in my opinion is a modification, maybe you ask your local JD dealer if they can build what you need...
    Georgia_Johndeere likes this.
    2012 X155R, (european version of the D130)+Texas fertilizer spreader,selfmade trailer, dethachter,chute , bagger, mulch kit.
    Utility Tractors on the farm:
    2018 6175R
    2013 6115M

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDDriver95 View Post
    I Just found the JD 595 backhoe for the 5 series. (just ask google you will find it then)

regarding your question if you can operate the backhoe from inside the cab, I think the same like Zebrafive. The only way in my opinion is a modification, maybe you ask your local JD dealer if they can build what you need...
    The way the utility and compact utility cabs are built, there is no way to allow the seat to turn around and have access to the controls for the backhoe. I know it sucks to have that nice air-conditioned / heated cab literally inches away from where you would be seated on the backhoe and not be able to be in it.

Jeff
    Zebrafive likes this.
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Grading and leveling hard ground with a tractor (front end loader and/box blade) is not nearly as easy or quick as with a Bobcat in my experience...I am mostly in a red clay area.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor