6300L Excessive Play and in Transmission input shaft powerquad - why oil not pouring

Thread: 6300L Excessive Play and in Transmission input shaft powerquad - why oil not pouring

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-08-2018 @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks

6300L Excessive Play and in Transmission input shaft powerquad - why oil not pouring

My JD 6300 is making a lot of rattling noise in the transmission input shaft area. I reached up and the transmission input side of the shaft seems to have a good bit of play. I can see some play in the u joint too. I take it the input shaft bearing and associated stuff is worn out. I also assume this means the powerquad assembly must be removed.

What I don't understand is, why is it not dumping hydraulic fluid?

I would appreciate any opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghomes View Post
    My JD 6300 is making a lot of rattling noise in the transmission input shaft area. I reached up and the transmission input side of the shaft seems to have a good bit of play. I can see some play in the u joint too. I take it the input shaft bearing and associated stuff is worn out. I also assume this means the powerquad assembly must be removed.

What I don't understand is, why is it not dumping hydraulic fluid?

I would appreciate any opinions.
    I'm assuming there is a seal on the transmission input. If the bearing/bushing there is really worn the seal will prevent leakage unless there is a lot of slop.

I would think it would be hard to differentiate between input shaft and U-joint play. I'm not familiar with the 6300 at all, but a typical mechanical design would consist of a yoke on a splined shaft. There will be some play and the seal in that configuration seals around the yoke and not the actual input shaft.

Since you know the U-joints are worn and replacing them is a relatively easy job, do that and then check the play and see if it isn't in spec.

Al

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Hmmm got me thinking

Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    I'm assuming there is a seal on the transmission input. If the bearing/bushing there is really worn the seal will prevent leakage unless there is a lot of slop.

I would think it would be hard to differentiate between input shaft and U-joint play. I'm not familiar with the 6300 at all, but a typical mechanical design would consist of a yoke on a splined shaft. There will be some play and the seal in that configuration seals around the yoke and not the actual input shaft.

Since you know the U-joints are worn and replacing them is a relatively easy job, do that and then check the play and see if it isn't in spec.

Al
    Thanks for the reply. I can tell most the play is in the transmission side because I can clearly see and feel the flange/shaft on the transmission side moving up and down along with the entire u-joint. But, you do have me thinking. Maybe a splined input shaft slides into the transmission. A heavily worn inside (male) shaft in side of a heavily worn outside (female) splined receiver. This would allow for the play while allowing the transmission bearings and seal to be operational. Yes, maybe it has a yoke/spline shaft input on the transmission side of the u-joint
    Last edited by kinghomes; 10-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    The round flange that the drive shaft bolts to (transmission end) with 4 bolts is splined and slides into the input shaft. There is an o-ring on it, but I suspect only to keep the splines clean not for oil control

The flange is P/N R119592, o-ring is P/N H64801

Maybe just a new flange and o-ring will take care of the play And of course fix the drive shaft u-joints.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

do you think the flange will come out without pulling the transmission

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    The round flange that the drive shaft bolts to (transmission end) with 4 bolts is splined and slides into the input shaft. There is an o-ring on it, but I suspect only to keep the splines clean not for oil control

The flange is P/N R119592, o-ring is P/N H64801

Maybe just a new flange and o-ring will take care of the play And of course fix the drive shaft u-joints.
    Thank You Zebrafive, do you think the flange will come out without pulling the transmission?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghomes View Post
    Thank You Zebrafive, do you think the flange will come out without pulling the transmission?
    Yes, once the drive shaft is out of the way, it's not very long.

IIRRC the four bolts P/N L77173 are supposed to be "one time use" They have locking serrations on the back side of the head to keep them from backing out.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements