New user, old 5410 and adding a 3rd scv?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Killavolt
  • 1 Post By 1010

Thread: New user, old 5410 and adding a 3rd scv?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 11:39 AM
    Thanks

New user, old 5410 and adding a 3rd scv?

A little information first, I'm helping a buddy out on his farm maintaining the equipment. I'm completely green (no pun intended) to farm tractors and am having to do some minor work on an older model 5410 (540?) with the hydraulics.

I'm also not terribly familiar with hydraulics, but I am an electromechanical engineering tech and have tons of experience working on many many other machines.

That being said I'm trying to learn about this tractor and how it works, and whether or not someone has hooked up a third SCV incorrectly......but as I'm new I'm probably going to end up using a lot of wrong terms or confusing things so I apologize ahead of time.

So first of all, picture number 1, These levers both make the (rockshaft?) move up and down but I don't understand the correlation between them and how they work together.

Picture number 2, What is this little pedal for? I can't seem to figure out what it does.

Picture 3 and 4. The previous owner had removed this (SCV?) from a 5500 model tractor and attached it to this 5410 and said he "hooked it up exactly like it was on the other tractor"
    Unfortunately I forgot to mark down what was connected where to that hydraulic distribution block (whats this thing called?) but the top middle and bottom connectors are marked R T P on the plate they're mounted to.

If I'm not mistaken R (top) is hooked up to the middle port on the block. T (middle) is connected to the front most port, and P (bottom) is connected to the rear port.

Here's where things start to really not make sense for me. I'll do my best to explain.

We have a Wallenstein GX900 Excavator we're trying to hookup to the back of this tractor. I connect it's two hydraulic lines to T and P since that's where they fit.

In order for the excavator to work I have to move the bigger lever in picture number 1 to at least position 3, then the excavator will work and move etc.....but then the front bucket does not work. In order to make the front bucket work someone needs to hold the lever back to raise it, and a second person has to activate the boom on the rear excavator, then the front bucket will lift.

So I can only assume that someone has hooked up the 3rd SCV incorrectly. Also it has 3 connectors instead of two, the the top one (R) connected to a hose that isn't hooked up to anything.

Can anybody help me make sense of this? I'd like to understand how this all works and I'm guessing that the front bucket should still be able to operate independently of the rear excavator and the operation of one shouldn't affect the other?

The dipstick says the gearbox is full of fluid so it isn't withdrawing too much even with everything extended.

The last pictures are identifiers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7672[1].JPG   IMG_7673[1].JPG   IMG_7675[1].JPG   IMG_7676[1].JPG   IMG_7670[1].JPG  

IMG_7671[1].JPG  
    Last edited by Killavolt; 10-25-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    1010 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-20-2019 @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    The best thing for you is find an owners manual. The 540 is just the loader model.

540 can also be the type shaft for the rear PTO. 1000 is the other. It has small splines and more of them compared to the 540 shaft. There is a lot more on this, like if your tractor has the 1000rpm capability.

The two leavers: One is draft control the other is for the rear lift arms, yes they work together. The long handle is lift arms the short leaver is draft control.

The petal in the floor locks up the rear wheels so they both pull and the tractor will be very hard to turn while the petal is down.
    You can damage the rear end very easily, if you engage the petal while the tractor is spinning from lack of traction.

Others will have to comment on the power beyond HYD connections.
    Last edited by 1010; 10-26-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    The best thing for you is find an owners manual. The 540 is just the loader model.

540 can also be the type shaft for the rear PTO. 1000 is the other. It has small splines and more of them compared to the 540 shaft. There is a lot more on this, like if your tractor has the 1000rpm capability.

The two leavers: One is draft control the other is for the rear lift arms, yes they work together. The long handle is lift arms the short leaver is draft control.

The petal in the floor locks up the rear wheels so they both pull and the tractor will be very hard to turn while the petal is down.
    You can damage the rear end very easily, if you engage the petal while the tractor is spinning from lack of traction.

Others will have to comment on the power beyond HYD connections.

Awesome thank you, I've found an owners manual online that I've been reading but I really don't know if it's for the right year tractor. everything kind of looks the same in the manual so that's been working out so far.

and yes, the thrid SCV is connected to the power beyond ports, so this is probably not the right location to hook this up right?
    All I'm really trying to do is get the excavator working normally in that we should be able to use both the front and rear buckets separately right? The rear excavator has it's own controls so I don't need SCVs connected to something that requires me to use a lever in the cab such a it is right now.

The manual doesn't exactly describe what the various ports are, it just shows how to hook up power beyond to the location where we have another SCV.....at least I think I'm using that term correctly.

for the equipment that this tractor has we only need a constant source of hydraulic pressure/return, not additional controls.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    It looks like the rockshaft control levers and Dif lock have been addressed.

What you are calling an SCV (Selective Control Valve) is PB (Power Beyond)

I am guessing when it was moved from the other tractor to this tractor the "neutral flow" plug that goes in the P (pressure) port was not removed from the first tractor and transferred to this tractor.

Neutral flow may not be the correct name for the plug, it may be called a "power beyond" plug. P/N 15H666

At the rear of the tractor Top should have a hose with a male quick connector that connects to the bottom female quick connector. Middle will be a male quick connector.

From rear of the tractor: Top hose goes to R (return). Middle hose goes to S or T (Sump or Tank) Bottom hose goes to P (pressure).

I'll bet the plug that is installed into the P port is missing.

Also make sure the hoses are correct.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    It looks like the rockshaft control levers and Dif lock have been addressed.

What you are calling an SCV (Selective Control Valve) is PB (Power Beyond)

I am guessing when it was moved from the other tractor to this tractor the "neutral flow" plug that goes in the P (pressure) port was not removed from the first tractor and transferred to this tractor.

Neutral flow may not be the correct name for the plug, it may be called a "power beyond" plug. P/N 15H666

At the rear of the tractor Top should have a hose with a male quick connector that connects to the bottom female quick connector. Middle will be a male quick connector.

From rear of the tractor: Top hose goes to R (return). Middle hose goes to S or T (Sump or Tank) Bottom hose goes to P (pressure).

I'll bet the plug that is installed into the P port is missing.

Also make sure the hoses are correct.
    What we want/need is an SCV though, not power beyond..... I think.

Bear with me, I have a video processing currently showing the whole thing, how it's hooked up, and what we need to do, then maybe we'll all have a better idea of whether or not it can be done on this model tractor.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    here we go, hopefully this will help everyone understand my inane babbling lol

John Deere 5410 Hydraulic Questions - YouTube

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements