John Deere 2150 loud tapping/ticking/vibration from hyd pump **VIDEO ADDED**
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: John Deere 2150 loud tapping/ticking/vibration from hyd pump **VIDEO ADDED**

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 04:16 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 2150 loud tapping/ticking/vibration from hyd pump **VIDEO ADDED**

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum. I bought a JD 2150 a few months ago but have not used it much at all. I changed the oil, fuel filter, flushed the coolant and added SCAs. I have not gotten around to changing the hyd fluid.

When I start it and run it over 1250-1300 RPM I begin to hear a loud tapping/ticking/vibration type noise that seems to be coming from the front hydraulic pump. It resonates in the hyd fluid supply lines and running down the right side of the tractor and when touching those lines I can feel the resonant vibrations. When I go back to idle, it stops. I let the tractor idle for 20 minutes to warm it up thinking maybe its a cold fluid type issue but that did not seem to affect it. The noise is consistent and constant above 1250-1300 RPMs. The noise is present no matter what configuration...ie lift up/down, pto engaged, steering wheel turned left/right. Everything seems to work fine, power steering, 3ph, brakes and pto. The hyd fluid level looks fine as well, maybe on the lower end of the range on the dispstick.

Here is a youtube link to a video I took... John Deere 2150 Hydraulic Tapping Ticking Vibration Noise - YouTube
    Any ideas on where to start?

I thought about changing the fluid/filter and cleaning all of the screens but don't want to throw new fluid in if there is something more major going on and I'll have to drain it all out anyway.

I got a good deal on and flail mower and am supposed to go pick it up on Monday, however am planning to test it out with my tractor. Trying to decide if I can get away with a short test of the mower without doing damage to my tractor.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by wims8899; 12-30-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    raco232 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,612 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

I tore apart and rebuilt the main hydraulic pump on a 2150. Here's a post within that thread you may find helpful. There were a lot a variations and options to these machines, so it can be difficult to narrow down what you have or what the main issue is.

Rebuilding the main pump wasn't difficult, but in a running tractor it will be more difficult to get it removed than an actual overhaul. That being said, it could be a different issue altogether. Some further troubleshooting and testing is in order. Can you use the screwdriver trick to narrow down where the noise is coming from?

If you haven't done this before, it's quite easy. Simply take a long screwdriver and touch the object you want to listen to, then lean your ear and press the handle firmly into your ear. You'll "hear" the component you have the screwdriver on. Be careful to use something long so you don't get caught up in rotating stuff. A nice handle also helps, you don't want to stab yourself in the ear. LOL
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

john deere 2150 hydraulic pump noise with increased RPMs

dieselshadow,

Thanks for the reply! I will check out your hyd pump rebuild and try the screwdriver trick.

I added a youtube link for a video I took John Deere 2150 Hydraulic Tapping Ticking Vibration Noise - YouTube

See what you think...
    raco232 and JD4044M like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Check the lines and make sure they are rubbing/abrading each other or the frame. It sounds high pitched in your video. Could be a relief valve or something bouncing too. The video helps, but this will be tricky at best to diagnose over the internet.
    raco232 and JD4044M like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome aboard!

In the past, I’ve had to change the nylon bushings on the hydro driveshaft coupling. It’s at the front of tractor, inbetween the fuel tank and radiator, at least on the larger 30, 40 & 50 series tractors. When I hear a ticking noise up front, the bushings are usually the culprit. Let us know what you find out.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Ditto what raco232 stated about checking hyd pump drive coupling BUT the coupling on 2150 isn't as prone to making noise as the older type pump drive coupling with rubber bushings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 12-30-2018 at 12:56 PM.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    raco232, Tx Jim, dieselshadow... thanks for the input!

I'll check the drive coupling and any rubbing lines. I actually thought about loose rubbing/vibrating parts being the culprit, especially with it being tied so tightly to engine vibrations/RPMs. I had an ATV that made an awful noise when revved but it was just lose bolts on the skid plate...easy fix.

So...

Best Case scenario it is some hyd lines/loose parts that need tightening
    Worst Case scenario is my hyd pump needs replacement or rebuild.

If this was a worst case scenario problem, do you all think running this thing for 10 minutes to test out a mower tomorrow is a bad idea??

I only ask because I already struck a deal on the mower and the only way to load it up is with my tractor.

Thanks again for your input!
    Superglidesport and raco232 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Noises are hard to determine source of in videos, but this almost sounds like the fan hitting the fan shroud. Check water pump bearing for excess play in fan and also make sure radiator is not pushed back into the fan. If the front of hood or grille area gets bumped, radiator gets pushed back pretty easily.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    Noises are hard to determine source of in videos, but this almost sounds like the fan hitting the fan shroud. Check water pump bearing for excess play in fan and also make sure radiator is not pushed back into the fan. If the front of hood or grille area gets bumped, radiator gets pushed back pretty easily.
    I had that exact issue on the 2150 I worked on. Good call sir.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did the screw driver listen method and the part that stood out the most was one of the hydraulic lines. There are three lines and the one with the arrow in the pics was the loudest by far. The actual hyd pump didn't seem to make much noise and tracing it back to the tranny case that sounded fine too. I also checked to make sure that line wasn't vibrating on another part. It seems tight and seems to have clearance all the way back. Very strange.

I also noticed when the RPMs were at about 1250 (when the noise is just starting), if I lift the 3ph it would quiet the noise a bit when travelling up. But the noise is very consistent at 1250-1300 rpm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4668.jpg   IMG_4672.jpg   IMG_4673.jpg  

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast