• 1 Post By IndianaJim
  • 3 Post By wims8899

Thread: Need Help Identifying Part...Changed Hyd Fluid and This Part Fell Out

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 04:16 PM
    Thanks

Need Help Identifying Part...Changed Hyd Fluid and This Part Fell Out

I posted this in previous thread but figured it might need its own.

Its an '83 JD 2150 that I was doing a hydraulic fluid change on.

This is my first time changing hyd fluid on a tractor this size and the tractor is new to me.

I pulled the drain plug first and drained all the fluid, then pulled the hydraulic pickup screen

Then pulled the oil filter pack, the cover came partially down and I was working the actual filter off of the casing. Once the filter came loose, I lost secure grasp of the filter bowl, almost dropped it and heard a thump below in the drain pain below and saw this part sitting in the drain pan.

I "think" it came from the filter pack but cannot find this part in the schematic, the link to the schematic is... John Deere Parts Catalog

Looking at the schematic, I do not have part #3 accounted for, so maybe that's it? But the schematic calls part #3 a "snap ring". I don't see a snap ring from the parts that I pulled out. Perhaps this "spacer" part I found is used to help preload the filter spring??

Anybody seen a part like this? Does anyone have a more detailed schematic that might show this part?

Definitely mad at myself for not catching exactly where this came from.

Then my imagination got me thinking, "what if this fell out of the sump drain hole and wasn't in the filter pack at all?".
    If so, where in the tranny did it come from? Anybody ever have parts fall out of their tranny when they changed their hyd fluid?? That seems like it'd be a bad thing...haha!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snap ring pic.JPG   IMG_4705.jpg   IMG_4706.jpg   IMG_4707.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Do you have access to a tech manual? The illustrations and pictures a usually more detailed and clearer. If you don't have one, I would think that the local dealer would allow you to look at one.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    Do you have access to a tech manual? The illustrations and pictures a usually more detailed and clearer. If you don't have one, I would think that the local dealer would allow you to look at one.
    Yes I bought a download version. It doesn't show the hyd filter pack in that much detail. I think they assume a mechanic doesn't need that much detail on the hyd filter, or maybe that is discussed in more detail in the owners manual.

Perhaps what I need is the parts manual that shows exploded views in more detail.
    DRobinson likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 AM
    Thanks
    If you look up that part number on JDParts it shows that R32507 is a true snap ring, not the part you found.
    You will want to look at the diagrams for the transmission internals to see if you can locate anything similar.

If you have the manual, take a close look at the pictures of the disassembly/reassembly and see if you dont see that somewhere on one of the cases.
    The tapered edge on the one end makes it look like a locating dowel. Many are not solid as "dowel" suggests.
    Kinda reminds me of the ones on car/truck engine blocks for the transmission to mate up to.
    I would check with your dealer and see if maybe they can help identify it to be sure.
    Its been seen here before that sometimes things are left behind at assembly, or dropped into the case, and end up coming out during a fluid change.
    Hopefully that is what this is...
    DRobinson likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    If you look up that part number on JDParts it shows that R32507 is a true snap ring, not the part you found.
    You will want to look at the diagrams for the transmission internals to see if you can locate anything similar.

If you have the manual, take a close look at the pictures of the disassembly/reassembly and see if you dont see that somewhere on one of the cases.
    The tapered edge on the one end makes it look like a locating dowel. Many are not solid as "dowel" suggests.
    Kinda reminds me of the ones on car/truck engine blocks for the transmission to mate up to.
    I would check with your dealer and see if maybe they can help identify it to be sure.
    Its been seen here before that sometimes things are left behind at assembly, or dropped into the case, and end up coming out during a fluid change.
    Hopefully that is what this is...
    IndiannaJim, I think you're right that is was something left behind at assembly or something. Just to see, I tried stacking it on the filter pack with the spring, orings and washers and there was no way to get that hyd filter on with that collar/dowel in there.

I put the filter pack back on without that the "spacer" part and everything went together just fine.

Started her up and she runs, shifts and operates just fine. Not gonna worry about it.

I could spend some effort trying to track down that part, but I don't have the time for it...especially when the tractor operates fine.

I just wish I caught exactly where it came out from. But with studying the filter pack components, I don't see where it could have come from there. So that leads me to believe it came out of the tranny sump drain hole and was likely dropped in the casing at assembly or during maintenance sometime during the last 35 years...who knows.

Thanks for your input!!

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements