Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dp045

Thread: Beginnig a restoration

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks

Beginnig a restoration

About a year and a half ago or so my wife's uncle gave me his 1975 830 3 cyl utility tractor that he bought new in '75. He's retired (just turned 101 and is still pretty sharp) but he wanted the tractor to stay in the family so since I do a lot of bush hogging, he gave it to me. I ran it off and on for a while as a spare to my 2005 4520. After a while the injector pump went bad so I took it to a JD dealer and they had it rebuilt along with doing a bunch of other things to it like replacing the starter, batteries and cables, oil change, antifreeze, drained the fuel tank put new fuel in, and a bunch of smaller things. (Like they say, there's no such thing as a free tractor). I just got it back this week and it runs like a charm. Now the project is to restore it. It's in pretty good shape other than desperately needing a paint job, decals and all the lights. The sheet metal is in excellent shape with the exception of the right rear fender which I might just replace due to some rust through under one of the reinforcement members.
    My question is does anybody know where can I get the cap for the starting fluid adapter as well as original style turn/hazard lights and brackets? Also, is there a decal kit available that would include all decals or would they have to be gotten individually?
    I also got two 5' JD rotary mowers that I'd need decals for as well. Both mower decks are in pretty good shape so I thought I'd restore those too.
    It also came with a two bottom plow that he had removed one bottom from (?!) so now it's a single bottom. I'd love to fix that up as well If I knew where to get some replacement parts. I didn't think to ask the dealer all this stuff since I was suffering from sticker shock from the repair bill. A set of worn out 9' wide disk harrows came with it too (not JD).
    I thought this might be a good winter project. When I get it inside after the coming snow storm, I'll take some before, during and after pics. Right now it's under a tarp hunkered down for the coming blizzard they say might dump up to 2' in places. Hope they're wrong about this one!
    rtgt and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    I put aftermarket fenders on my 2030. Originals were very rusty from mud/water collecting in the wiring channels. Also where the hazard lights bolt on the fenders had vibration cracks.

The mounts for the hazards came in both aluminum and steel. I am not sure if both came from Deere, but I've seen both.

I have bought more hazard lights than I care to admit, they don't take hits from branches well For years I just left mine off. I bring the tractor home from the farm at least twice a year. Traffic has increased no matter when I try and bring it home, so I put the hazards back on.

Other than fenders, I would buy my parts from Deere. And use JD paint. Someone painted the hood of my 2030 and it faded to a blue/green .

We need some "before" pictures.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements