JD 1120 problem with hydraulic lift
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: JD 1120 problem with hydraulic lift

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Online
    06-24-2019 @ 06:21 PM
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    JD 1120 problem with hydraulic lift

    Has renovated the hydraulic lift, and now the arms go slowly. But if I pull the outer hydraulic lever, backwards, then the arms begin to move at the right speed again.
    And if I bring the lever back before the arms are in the top, the arms will stop for a short while and continue at the right speed when the lever is in the middle position again.
    When I then lower the hydraulic arms and raise them again, they go slowly again ..... and then you have to redo the procedure.
    Before the renovation, this was not the problem. Does anyone know what has happened or what is wrong? Hope you understand my bad language!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    flyweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Location
    Louisiana, (southeast)
    Posts
    9,574
    Thanks
    869
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_1120 View Post
    Has renovated the hydraulic lift, and now the arms go slowly. But if I pull the outer hydraulic lever, backwards, then the arms begin to move at the right speed again.
    And if I bring the lever back before the arms are in the top, the arms will stop for a short while and continue at the right speed when the lever is in the middle position again.
    When I then lower the hydraulic arms and raise them again, they go slowly again ..... and then you have to redo the procedure.
    Before the renovation, this was not the problem. Does anyone know what has happened or what is wrong? Hope you understand my bad language!
    By renovated, do you mean rebuilt?
    What was actually rebuilt, or replaced?

    Whenever the lift is rebuilt and items replaced, the lift(rockshaft) valve assembly had to be adjusted. The step-by-step adjustment procedure is listed in the Technical Manual. You'll need the tech-manual(TM-4286) for instructions.
    JD_1120 likes this.
    Michael

    2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

    Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.










  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Online
    06-24-2019 @ 06:21 PM
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    By renovated, do you mean rebuilt?
    What was actually rebuilt, or replaced?

    Whenever the lift is rebuilt and items replaced, the lift(rockshaft) valve assembly had to be adjusted. The step-by-step adjustment procedure is listed in the Technical Manual. You'll need the tech-manual(TM-4286) for instructions.
    Thanks for the reply!
    It was my father who did the job, and he had done it as a JD mechanic a couple of times before, with no problems. He changed bushes, o-rings and some steel ball / valve etc. And only JD parts were used.
    Very interesting, I have never heard anything about adjusting ..... I'll check it out!
    But why does the lift go faster when I touch the external hydraulic lever? (without anything connected to the tractor)

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 06:07 AM
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 315 Times in 240 Posts
    I had a similar problem once. It was due to a weak spring on the linkage under the rockshaft cover. It is part number T22473 as seen item #13 in diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1120 rockshaft.PNG  
    DRobinson and JD_1120 like this.

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Location
    Coyote Flats,Texas
    Posts
    1,747
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 299 Times in 269 Posts
    With engine running look inside hyd filler hole for moving oil. Having to move scv lever in order to increase 3 pt raise speed sounds as if 1 or more poppet valves in scv isn't seating properly. Remove hose(key 4) in photo between scv & rockshaft(3 pt) housing & with scv levers in neutral start engine no oil should exit both open fittings. Ditto on performing the L.D control linkage adjustments outlined in JD tech manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    JD_1120 likes this.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Online
    06-24-2019 @ 06:21 PM
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    With engine running look inside hyd filler hole for moving oil. Having to move scv lever in order to increase 3 pt raise speed sounds as if 1 or more poppet valves in scv isn't seating properly. Remove hose(key 4) in photo between scv & rockshaft(3 pt) housing & with scv levers in neutral start engine no oil should exit both open fittings. Ditto on performing the L.D control linkage adjustments outlined in JD tech manual.
    Thanks! I have to check it out!
    Okay, I've been thinking about it too, that there might be something wrong there ..... but the scv unit is untouched, and everything worked as it would before the operation (except that the large o-ring around the lift piston leaked)
    I think it would be weird if there was a problem with a valve, right after repairing another fault?
    Tried to pull the scv lever first, but it doesn't help. I have to pull the lifting lever first.
    I filmed a little in the autumn when I was going to test the pressure in the system. There seems to be no leakage to the pressure side at least. You are welcome to watch the clip if you have time.

    https://youtu.be/cApu-Ne_Eps

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Online
    06-24-2019 @ 06:21 PM
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    With engine running look inside hyd filler hole for moving oil. Having to move scv lever in order to increase 3 pt raise speed sounds as if 1 or more poppet valves in scv isn't seating properly. Remove hose(key 4) in photo between scv & rockshaft(3 pt) housing & with scv levers in neutral start engine no oil should exit both open fittings. Ditto on performing the L.D control linkage adjustments outlined in JD tech manual.
    Stupid questions maybe, but when will it normally come oil, and from which point?
    How much pressure is in the hose?

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Location
    Coyote Flats,Texas
    Posts
    1,747
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 299 Times in 269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_1120 View Post
    Stupid questions maybe, but when will it normally come oil, and from which point?
    How much pressure is in the hose?
    I've never check hyd pressure in this hose but if there was pressure it couldn't be but a few 100 psi due to the fact the hose is held in place with "clamps". The important thing is there should be no pressure with scv levers in neutral position when engine is running.
    JD_1120 likes this.

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Online
    06-24-2019 @ 06:21 PM
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    I've never check hyd pressure in this hose but if there was pressure it couldn't be but a few 100 psi due to the fact the hose is held in place with "clamps". The important thing is there should be no pressure with scv levers in neutral position when engine is running.
    Now I understand, the hose is only for oil return from the scv? I thought it was constant pressure .... but then I know! If there is leakage in the scv, I understand that the lift can go slow, but should I not even feel that the power steering goes slower? (has no priority valve)

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Location
    Coyote Flats,Texas
    Posts
    1,747
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 299 Times in 269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_1120 View Post
    I understand that the lift can go slow, but should I not even feel that the power steering goes slower? (has no priority valve)
    Your tractor should have a flow control AKA pressure control valve bolted to lower RH side by hyd filter that gives power steering priority to hyd pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    JD_1120 likes this.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 148 Loader on John Deere 1120
    By JD1120 in forum Implements & Attachments
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 11:21 PM
  2. Upgrade Mechanical MMM lift to Hydraulic MMM Lift
    By Ray_PA in forum Sub Compact Utility Tractors (SCUT)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-13-2016, 08:19 AM
  3. Converting electric lift 112 to hydraulic lift, need a diagram
    By wpod in forum Vintage Lawn & Garden Tractors
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2015, 08:13 AM
  4. Help 1120 hydrualics
    By fixitman in forum Agricultural Tractors
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
  5. 1968 JD 1120 Filters
    By fixitman in forum Tractor & Equipment Maintenance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •