• 2 Post By JROC
  • 1 Post By jstevenj

Thread: 5055E/5065E emissions help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 05:04 PM
    Thanks

5055E/5065E emissions help

I am in the market for a John Deere 5055 or 5065 and need some input. I have been looking more at pre 2014 models because of the added emissions on newer models. This is mainly out of ignorance to be honest. So I’m looking for input… should I be concerned with this and what exactly am I getting into if I buy a newer model? Educate me please.
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    There has been very little issues with any of the emissions stuff on any of the newer JDs. Most issues are people not letting the machine do it’s regen when it’s starts to do it. If you operate the tractor and work it, not idle it all the time and let the regen happen when it starts, you should have little issue at all.

- Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Dieselshadow is correct. BUT, I tend to look way down the road- what is the emissions equipment going to cost to repair/maintain? A 15 or 20 year old tractor, with CR and emissions equipment, is going to be a lot different to keep up with (compared to older tractors). My dad was looking at new tractors in 2016, and we were able to find a 2014 5065E without any emissions stuff, or common rail. We've had no regrets going that direction, and again, that is with considering the distant future.
    My point is, even with the new stuff working well, it is a viable consideration, to look at pre-emission tractors.
    JD4044M and SRG like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Thanks
    I thought about the same things but the comforts of the new equipment is nice. If I move my 2038r or truck around the shop or let them run while doing something it sure is nice to not have the shop filled with smoke and stink. Up the street something could happen with the older one, engine, clutch or expensive as well. If you buy new you know how it was maintained or operated. Everything is a gamble and since these exhaust filters and related items are becoming more common the services available to clean them will start appearing as well. I would not be surprised if someone in 10 or 15 years can come to this site and see a full tutorial on how to do it at home.
    JD4044M likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    I give Deere credit for their emissions engineering. I am specifically referring to the DPF/regen (non DEF) systems. I am not too familiar with the higher HP DEF systems. DEF sucks and I don't think there is a way to make it good. But Deere's DPF/regen program is reliable so far and has not been problematic. I did a lot of homework on other brands and was a 20 year Kubota owner before buying an emissions tractor, and chose Deere. DPF/regen systems have been around since 2007 in the automotive marketplace so they are no longer experimental. They are coming into their 5th year in the utility tractor market. You can comb these forums and others and you will rarely find a reference to emissions failures. Other problems perhaps. These tractors go into regen every 50 hours or so, and the regen takes about 40-50 minutes. Depending on your usage, you may only encounter it a few times a year at most. The 5e engine is still the same 2.9 powertech 3 cyl. (up to 75 HP I think). Its a reliable motor that's been around since the early 1990s. It is now a common rail motor, with a Denso high pressure pump instead of the old Stanadyne rotary. Most any engine over 25HP is common rail now. And common rail motors have been around for nearly 2 decades in the US. The rest of the 5e powertrain is proven old school tech. CLEAN FUEL and fuel system maintenance is more important on common rail systems since the injection timing and dosage is electronically controlled at the injector rather than at the pump. All the pump does now is maintain a constant pressure. (And its high enough to cut your finger off.) The ECM/PCM control timing and fuel volume. So it is certainly more complicated than the old Stanadyne/ Roosa Master pump that dates back to 1947. I am not a tree hugger but I do have children, so I will have to say cleaner air is a benefit too....even if it costs more. Its kind of weird to start a diesel tractor in your barn and the exhaust smells like a clothes dryer vent. And its not fair that in most places on this planet people and countries continue to have no regard for the crap they spew into the air and dump into the rivers and onto the ground. I am glad I don't live there.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I love that my 4044M does not smell or smoke! In fact way better smelling then most Diesels that pull up next to me on the road. At 370 hours use never have had a problem with it.
    Zebrafive and 2mtrucks like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 11:09 AM
    Thanks
    I have about 70 hours on my 2018 5075E and it hasn't even hit its first regen. One of my cousins who's a pretty damn good mechanic says it likely just does a really good job of self-regenning. Yes while cutting or baling hay, bush hogging, etc I'm at WOT most of the time, but if I'm navigating thru the woods to get to a fallen tree to cut up for firewood, raking hay, doing back and forth loader work, or even just getting off the tractor for a minute or two I'm not just going to let it sit there at WOT. It gets its idle/low RPM time also.

I see people with other new competitive tractors complaining about the frequency of their regen cycles, but then wanting to take shots at the 5E's for being made in India, or being "E" for "economy model." I say I've looked at and tested your machine and it's not and less economy than mine. In fact they are absolutely made to compete with one another. Your tractors not on a 5M or 5R's level so get that out your head. It's on a 5E's level. Very few other manufacturers make 5M and especially 5R competitors. Some are starting to build 5M competitors IMO though. Also my tractor is made in Augusta, GA. Grovetown to be exact. I have family that works there. Sure their parts might be machined, stamped or molded in India, but they're put together here.

I say all that to say that while I'd rather not have emissions equipment on the tractor that they have not yet caused me issue. I haven't seen too many 5E owners with emissions problems. This tractor is deceivingly quiet, and it sure doesn't smell like a diesel. Others may find these to be positives. I'm not one of those people. I wish it sounded more ballsy at WOT, and I wish it smelt a little better like a diesels supposed to smell.
    Last edited by JROC; 04-10-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    lindsey97 and 2mtrucks like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    The new technology has been transparent to me except for adding DEF once in a while, and that is not often. I have had 3 tractors with it and only one of them ever did a regen, and that is because I idled it too much, which is not recommended anyway. My opinion for what its worth is that if you want a 5055 or 65E, its not the principal factor to consider. Condition and price would be far more important.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks

5055E/5065E emissions help

I swore I’d never buy anything that had a DPF after having a very terrible experience owning a 2007.5 Dodge diesel pickup. Note- this was the first year for the big emission changes.

Fast forward to today.

2015 Ram diesel- flawless

2016 Kubota L3901 -flawless, active regens every 25 or so hrs.

2017 JD 5100M- flawless, 2 active regens in 175 hrs, non eventful.

Point being that in my case, the emissions issues are generally getting better. Do I like the extra cost and complexity, no...
    Is there a chance the air I breathe is a little cleaner? Probably....
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 05:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys. I am the proud new owner of a 2010 5055e.

Quote Originally Posted by jstevenj View Post
    I am in the market for a John Deere 5055 or 5065 and need some input. I have been looking more at pre 2014 models because of the added emissions on newer models. This is mainly out of ignorance to be honest. So I’m looking for input… should I be concerned with this and what exactly am I getting into if I buy a newer model? Educate me please.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements