Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 5065E Fuel Tank Strainer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks

5065E Fuel Tank Strainer

I think I just joined the clogged fuel tank strainer club. I was out brush cutting, after 45 minutes of running tractor started randomly losing power and rpm. Going to remove fuel from tank and inspect strainer and also clean and change fuel filter. Thinking about removing fuel strainer from tank and installing a inline filter. Any Cons to doing this. Just thinking in the future it would be a lot easier to change a filter than dealing with one in the tank.
    JD 5093e and deere36 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks
    I recommend removing the strainer and installing the in-line filter. The strainer in the tank has very little surface area on the screen and clogs with a small amount of debris. As you said, an in-line filter will be much easier to service in the future. Of course if you have good clean fuel, there shouldn't be a problem, but we all know some dirt manages to get into the fuel somehow.
    JD 5093e and deere36 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks
    You also need to follow the fuel line from that strainer to the lift pump, looking for cracks/dry rot. Our 5065E did the same thing, and the first place I looked was at the strainer. It had debris, but cleaning it didn't stop the tractor from losing power/quitting. Later, I found numerous spots in the fuel line where it was losing suction from cracks. I replaced the line, and it has run perfect ever since- almost 2 years now.
    This is a common issue, the cracked rubber fuel line.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Pulled fuel strainer from the tank, cleaned strainer, wiped bottom of the tank with rags, reinstalled strainer and running good. Heres a picture if i can get it to transfer:

Once you have the picture loaded in the browse: How do you get it into the post? Okay figured it out, the how to section is lacking a step or two. You have to write directions for the guy that doesnt know anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190614_104656.jpg  
    Last edited by RAM2940; 07-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM2940 View Post
    Pulled fuel strainer from the tank, cleaned strainer, wiped bottom of the tank with rags, reinstalled strainer and running good. Heres a picture if i can get it to transfer:

Once you have the picture loaded in the browse: How do you get it into the post? Okay figured it out, the how to section is lacking a step or two. You have to write directions for the guy that doesnt know anything.
    Ours was contaminated like that, but once I cleaned it, we still had power loss, and shut off, issues. It was the air leaking fuel line that was the root problem; the clogged strainer didn't help things.
    BigJim55, Jim Timber, 1010 and 1 others like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    Man how old is that tractor? you might need to rethink your fuel source? nurse tank?

What inline filter are ya'll using? If I ever have to remove that strainer it won't be going back in the tank on my tractor...
    Last edited by 1010; 07-14-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    JD 5093e likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Ram2940
    You might want to consider adding some Biocide fuel conditioner to your fuel tank.
    BigJim55, JD 5093e and hodge like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    The tractor is a 2014 with around 120 hrs, it sits alot, then when it is ran several hrs at one time. I know that it gets some condensation over the winter, but i will try putting the biocide in the tank.
    BigJim55 and theduke like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    I will attempt to give you some inspiration to add biocide to your tractors fuel tank. My neighbor with a different brand '15 model tractor unfortunately got FUNGUS(whatever you choose to call the slime) in his tractors fuel tank. After a trip to local dealership he got his tractor back after paying the dealership $8000+ which included 4 new injectors.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    Man how old is that tractor? you might need to rethink your fuel source? nurse tank?

What inline filter are ya'll using? If I ever have to remove that strainer it won't be going back in the tank on my tractor...

I use the RE220719 filter. It is used on earlier model 5 series.
    BigJim55 and 1010 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast