Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 6420 A/c freezes up

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-11-2019 @ 02:51 PM
    Thanks

6420 A/c freezes up

Hey guys, I have a 2005 6420 and Iím having problems with the a/c.
    After a couple hours the air starts gradually getting warmer. It will start out around 40* and go up to above 55*. The suction line will be completely froze over at the low side gauge connection so I assume my evaporator is freezing up as well. I connected my gauges and the readings I got was 10 psi and 160 psi on a 85* day. The compressor will run constantly and not cycle off. Does this system have a low pressure cycling switch, if so where is it located? All I have found is a switch on the high side line after the dryer. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Thanks
    10psi sounds very low...sounds and acts like low on freon

low on freon means a leak.... very slow leak is probably a front seal on the compressor and will get worse over time but it could be elsewhere...if your not up on AC probably needs a visit from someone who is

as far as i know all ac compressors have a low pressure switch to keep them from running with no freon ....10psi should be very close to the lower limit .....possibly someone else can help with location

usually 3 things cause the compressor to not run..#1 low pressure....#2 high pressure...#3 no demand ....so at this point your probably meeting all the criteria for the compressor clutch to keep the compressor engaged and running
    Last edited by ttazzman; 06-05-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    kylew likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Thanks
    Agreed. Suction line/evaporator freeze is a sign of low freon. Which means there still is freon in the system, which means a small leak. I don't know if JD sells AC leak stop, but you should be able to get some for the type of freon that's in your system (Autozone, Amazon, etc). I've had good luck before with systems that have a small leak. It can work really well for small leaks at o-rings (get you more years), and compressor shaft seals, but those usually only buy you some time and eventually need replacement.
    BigJim55 and ttazzman like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Agreed. Suction line/evaporator freeze is a sign of low freon. Which means there still is freon in the system, which means a small leak. I don't know if JD sells AC leak stop, but you should be able to get some for the type of freon that's in your system (Autozone, Amazon, etc). I've had good luck before with systems that have a small leak. It can work really well for small leaks at o-rings (get you more years), and compressor shaft seals, but those usually only buy you some time and eventually need replacement.
    i agree on all you said .....stop leak is last resort for me i have visions of it clogging oriface tubes etc...but it might be a irrational fear i have
    BigJim55 and kylew like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    What I was taught is that it only hardens when exposed to oxygen, so it's safe when inside the system.
    ttazzman likes this.

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    There's no way I'd put stop leak in any of my AC systems. I've read several horror stories about adding it to AC system then system required a full flush. I wonder how clean the evaporater,condenser & cab filters are????

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    To each their own.

So you've only read negative stories, and never any positive stories?

2014 1025R TLB

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

10. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,616 Posts
    Iíve seen it. Nope. Never. No stop leak products in any of my equipment. If someone asks me for help on something that was leaking and they used a stop leak product, I tell them they will probably end up replacing or deep cleaning the entire system it was used in. Too many times.... Never again.
    flyweight and Tx Jim like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    I would agree with the others as to the low charge. The pressures you report appear low, especially for an ambient temp of 85F.

Many system designs do not cycle the compressor on/off to regulate the evaporate temperature. Rather, they do so by metering the orifice in the expansion valve. There will typically be a capillary tube from the expansion valve to a sensor mounted in the evaporator with this design. Chrysler utilized this type of system for AC equipped vehicles in the '60s & '70s. Most residential systems operate in a similar manner.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    To each their own.

So you've only read negative stories, and never any positive stories?
    I wonder how AC leak sealer will affect the operation of a high $$$$$ refrigerant reclaiming machine that professional AC repair technicians utilize such as one in photo?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG
    BigJim55 and ttazzman like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast