• 1 Post By jd110

Thread: 5205 Fuel Pump Issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-31-2019 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks

Question 5205 Fuel Pump Issues

Hi all,
    First time posting. I have a JD 5205 that I purchased last fall with about 800hrs. After purchasing I did some bush hogging at a piece of property I own. I didn't have anywhere to store it during the winter so it sat parked outdoors for about 5 months without being used (in south MS). Time came this spring to bust it off and start mowing again but it wouldn't crank. Engine is turning over without any issue but it wouldn't fire up.

I've bled the fuel system. I went ahead and changed the fuel/water filter. I disconnected the line going into the fuel pump and I'm getting plenty of fuel to the injector pump but it still will not crank. I cracked the lines coming out of the injector pump and I'm getting almost nothing. Just a few bubbly drips coming out of the fuel pump when cranking on it. I'm getting just under 12 volts to the injection pump. I've tried disconnecting the cold start thermistor (sp) and nothing seemed to change. Is there any other type of sensor that could be malfunctioning that would disable the injection pump even though it's showing 12 volts to the main electrical input coming into the pump itself?

I went through the step by step to bleed the fuel system. crack the return line, open the filter bleeder, pump pump pump till no bubbles. crack the injection pump bleeder, pump pump pump but I'm not getting much fuel coming out of the bleeder on the injection pump. Nothing like what I'm getting at the fuel filter where it gushes out with every pump.

My father and I gave up earlier today and were convinced the injection pump has suddenly gone bad for no apparent reason. From what I gather that's about a $1500 part from JD + labor to install. Hoping and praying that's not the case. To me it's got to either be a bad pump or some type of sensor that's keeping the pump from pumping.

Please let me know if there are any other steps or things to try before throwing in the towel and dragging it to the JD stealership. Thanks in advance for any help and I hope everyone is having a happy 4th!
    Last edited by vinese; 07-04-2019 at 04:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    I really doubt it is the injector pump. I have a 5105. I forget the names of the parts but if you hear or can feel a click when you turn the key that aspect should be ok. some temperature related thing that changes timing I had a problem with that on an earlier tractor 5410. I have found if I bleed out more than 15 drops from the fuel filter water separator it goes bad and needs priming. I posted about it but I have my doubts anyone believed me. Just for future reference. It really helps if the fuel tank is absolutely full. I think I bought a kit that replaces some of the parts not available individually in that primer pump thing, probably for the 5410. They can be frustrating one time it seemed that disconnecting something and just letting things ooze out for a while did it. Probably plugged the line that goes back to the tank with my finger and oozed from where it attached. Again most like the 5410. There is an in line filter behind the engine cylinder block, before the filter separator thing, but that probably is not your problem. There is also a drain for the bottom of the tank. Not sure if this helps. If the fuel gauge sending unit starts leaking do not be surprised mine acted up around 600 hours. Kind of strange the differences in the instructions for the 5105 and 5410 though the parts seem essentially the same.

edit: one more thing, the return goes back to the tank up high I believe on the left side. There is a rubber plug in a recess. This area should be covered if the tractor is not in a shed, barn or garage. Dealerships or sellers with pressure washers might as well as rain and snow make water enter at this point.
    Last edited by Fran_K; 07-05-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    theduke likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 06:07 AM
    Thanks
    You need to loosen the line at the injection pump that is coming from the fuel filter. There is a rubber packing in that fitting, so you need to make it really loose to get air and fuel to bleed out of it. Once that is loose, pump the primer until you get good clear fuel with no bubbles. then tighten that fitting and pump the primer again until you feel it build pressure. If you
    dont feel it build pressure, you may need to replace the primer pump, or at least disassemble and clean it. Then loosen a couple lines at the pump that go to the injectors. Start cranking engine while at the same time pumping the primer. when you start getting good flow from injector lines, tighten them up and tractor should start.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    " There is a rubber packing in that fitting" Having a spare one of those is advisable

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    You need to loosen the line at the injection pump that is coming from the fuel filter. There is a rubber packing in that fitting, so you need to make it really loose to get air and fuel to bleed out of it. Once that is loose, pump the primer until you get good clear fuel with no bubbles. then tighten that fitting and pump the primer again until you feel it build pressure. If you
    dont feel it build pressure, you may need to replace the primer pump, or at least disassemble and clean it. Then loosen a couple lines at the pump that go to the injectors. Start cranking engine while at the same time pumping the primer. when you start getting good flow from injector lines, tighten them up and tractor should start.

That's exactly what we did and sure enough the rubber packing came to pieces when I removed that line. Replaced the rubber gasket, pump pump pump till it was fuel pouring out with no bubbles. I replaced the gasket and kept on pumping. Cracked the injector lines coming out of the injection pump. Tried cranking and all I'm getting coming out of the injection pump are the slightest of drips. Barely anything at all coming out, but I am getting something coming out. Not sure if that indicates anything.

I really don't think it's the pump itself. To me it seems like a shutoff or something has the pump disabled, but then that makes me question why I'm getting any fuel at all coming out of the injection pump???

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fran_K View Post
    " There is a rubber packing in that fitting" Having a spare one of those is advisable
    Learned that the hard way lol... JD parts guy didn't seem to have a clue. Luckily I was able to find the part online where someone else had ran into the same issue. God bless forums!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vinese View Post
    Learned that the hard way lol... JD parts guy didn't seem to have a clue. Luckily I was able to find the part online where someone else had ran into the same issue. God bless forums!
    Please post a P/N to help others!
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Thanks