Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 1968 3020 Gas electrical issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-12-2019 @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks

1968 3020 Gas electrical issues

https://youtu.be/WTjPp6wWv3k

I've had the 1968 JD 3020 gas synchro shown in the video for about 12 years. She can be a pain in the butt to get running sometimes, but once she is running, she's a happy tractor. It has a completely rebuilt synchro transmission with virtually no miles on it, and a nice little FEL. I use it sparingly for yard work and moving the odd bale.

Right after this video, which was taken when I started her up for the 2019 spring season, I drove it around the yard a few times, pretty happy with myself for getting her running for another year. Parked it in the quonset, went to mow some grass, and noticed smoke coming out of the quonset. Wires had shorted and were white hot fried, wrecking the wiring harness and god knows what else. I pulled the wires off the battery to stop the smoking wires and thankfully nothing burned down. Haven't had time to take it apart and look at it, but dreading the costs of buying a new wiring harness and installing it, and not sure if anything else is damaged to boot.

So, I have two questions:

1) Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Tips, suggestions to start?

2) The one thing I note with my tractor is that it is 12v negative ground, but it has the regulator - it hasn't been upgraded to an alternator. I have the reprinted service manual for it, but cannot find a wiring schematic that shows a negative ground for a gas. Most everything I have read or read about online is about positive ground tractors, unless they have been upgraded. Anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Grant

Green sweater - green tractor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks
    Don't own one but this positive/negative ground subject came up a while back.

Yours by the books...should be positive ground. TractorData.com John Deere 3020 tractor information

Generaters = positive ground in these models "typicly"

Who knows whats been done.

Heres a schematic in this thread of a conversion John Deere 3020 gas generator to a... - Yesterdays Tractors

Id go with the 1 wire chevy type alternater..and patch up what you can of the wires or replace.

Has this tractor eaten battery's in the past?
    Has the gas gage worked in the past?

Theres a bit of stuff on YT but not terribly informative ...
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

4. The Following User Says Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

hilsenteger (07-12-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    Ditto all JD tractors including '68 3020 gasoline were positive(+) ground until 1969 yr model tractors with alternators were introduced

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

hilsenteger (07-12-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks fellas,

It's confusing to me as well - I know the details of the tractor and have schematics for what it's "supposed" to be wired like,but...

I'll see if I can throw some pics up once I dig into it - perhaps some visuals will help too.

G.
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Don't own one but this positive/negative ground subject came up a while back.

Yours by the books...should be positive ground. TractorData.com John Deere 3020 tractor information

Generaters = positive ground in these models "typicly"

Who knows whats been done.

Heres a schematic in this thread of a conversion John Deere 3020 gas generator to a... - Yesterdays Tractors

Id go with the 1 wire chevy type alternater..and patch up what you can of the wires or replace.

Has this tractor eaten battery's in the past?
    Has the gas gage worked in the past?

Theres a bit of stuff on YT but not terribly informative ...
    Thanks for the comments. In terms of your specific questions, it hasn't eaten batteries in the past, and the gas gauge does not work. If I were to guess, the gas gauge is the wrong polarity, because it moves, but it always sits around E.

Given that the wiring harness is $1,000, I am hoping that I can "patch up" whatever I can. I'm not sure if I'll convert it to the alternator but maybe now would be the time, eh? lol
    JD4044M likes this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hilsenteger View Post
    Thanks for the comments. In terms of your specific questions, it hasn't eaten batteries in the past, and the gas gauge does not work. If I were to guess, the gas gauge is the wrong polarity, because it moves, but it always sits around E.

Given that the wiring harness is $1,000, I am hoping that I can "patch up" whatever I can. I'm not sure if I'll convert it to the alternator but maybe now would be the time, eh? lol

I asked about the gas gage because reading elsewhere they only sell 1..its positve ground.

You can reverse the polarity of the generator somehow (polarize?)

Starter is good to go and only spins one way regardless of polarity..(this one is a mystery ) but apparently the way it works.

Ignition coils as I read are wound different to be + or - ground....some say they will work either way??

I'd convert it to normal - ground if you have a bunch of damaged components or wiring....Its a toss-up.
    JD4044M likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    I never did exactly that " 3020 " but the last one I did was an older articulated loader. It caught on fire in a cotton warehouse. How many wires do you need to make that thing run anyway? I used a 7 wire semi trailer light cord for a wiring harness.
    Get rid of the generator and regulator. One wire 10 SI, 12V coil with a built in resistor and 12V negitive ground. Add a bolt on breaker or two. That is a KISS wiring harness.
    Just my opinion.
    BigJim55, theduke and JD4044M like this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,170 Posts
    If you feel comfortable making your own wiring harness, follow the diagram below. It's a very simple wiring harness and will save a few dollars.

Michael

'84 JD 750
    '08 JD Z445
    '71 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.
    45-20

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=flyweight;3301414]If you feel comfortable making your own wiring harness, follow the diagram below. It's a very simple wiring harness and will save a few dollars. /QUOTE]

One problem with your wiring diagram is no allowance for neutral start switch wiring.
    flyweight likes this.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    For wiring harnesses, I would contact brillman.com . They make original equipment quality harnesses and may even make a harness already modified for negative ground alternator swap. I have used them for 24 to 12 volt conversion harnesses. I hate buy a factory harness and cut it right away to make it work. Less than 1/2 price of Deere's harness. They may not show everything they offer online. Give them a call. If you want fuel gauge to work, you need a sender and gauge from "new style" 3020 that is set up for negative ground.

Also be sure to check the wiring to the ignition coil. If you are using negative ground, The "-" should be connected to the distributor.
    Last edited by jd110; 07-13-2019 at 06:37 PM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast