Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 1530 Hydraulic Issues

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks

Red face 1530 Hydraulic Issues

Good afternoon to all of you that bleed Green!

I have a 1530 that I obtained about 2 years ago. It was bought local and has lived its life within a 15 mile radius of its purchase.
    It seems a great machine that had a complete engine rebuild in the last 7 years.

My issue is that the hydraulics do not seem right. When cold...the hydraulics work ok. There is at times an intermittent but very noticeable shudder to the rear implement.
    It also has an adjustment or draft setting on the rear hydraulics that adjusts how it works...sorry...but am not a mechanically strong person.

Last year I changed the fluid and the paper filter, pulled the tubular screen and wiped it off. I checked the small screen at the pump and it was clean.

I replaced a steering valve that was extremely sloppy...found out that it was leaking horribly out the bottom and that was a lot of the leaking I had observed.
    New valve in place...steering better...but still kinda sloppy..wouldnt want to try to road it in high gear very far...would look like a drunk hillbilly on the road. New BellCrank bushings, new tie rod ends, new drag link.

This year...I mowed about 4 acres of hay and noticed when I moved to another small field...the hydraulics would not raise. Had to let tractor sit for an hour or two then bring it home. I noticed that steering would have catches where the power was not there and was manual attempts....also noticed the brakes were very soft and spongy during this.....Really have not used since. I am wondering if this is the front pump... Again...I worked on people for 30 years and working with tractors...the parts seem different..LOL!!!!

I did load the mower onto a trailer so my brother could use it. Noticed that the implement didnt seem to raise all the way, but, as idle increased and several seconds after I had removed my hand from the adjustment valve....the implement continued to raise although I had topped out the control almost 20 seconds earlier.

Before changing the steering valve...it would get so hot that if you touched it you would be burned...
    I have noticed it still seems very hot.

Hard to find anyone that really knows these older tractors....I still believe this un has another 50 years in her.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

**Green in WV**

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like the steering column has an internal leak.
    Cap the "tee" on the line that supplies the sterring column, and see if the hydraulics (other than steering) improve.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

Green In WV (08-11-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    Ditto what Z5 stated also with tractor at operating temp(190-200°) engine running,3 pt raised look in hyd filler hole behind seat for moving oil. Does tractor have a FEL installed. How long since hyd filter was changed,hyd oil level checked & hyd oil sump screen checked/cleaned????

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Green In WV (08-11-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,523 Posts
    Also, the draft control should be set in "D" for depth control. In D the rockshaft will stay in the position that you set from the rockshaft control lever.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

Green In WV (08-11-2019)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    Also, the draft control should be set in "D" for depth control. In D the rockshaft will stay in the position that you set from the rockshaft control lever.
    Don what you stated about putting L/D lever in "D" isn't 100 % accurate. I agree for all 3 pt task except ground engagement(plowing) the L/D lever should be in "D" BUT if L/D mechanism on 1530 isn't adjusted correctly as outlined in a JD 1530 tech manual "then all bets are off". Another thing is friction washers should be snug enough to hold 3 pt control lever exactly where it's set when operator removes their hand from control lever.
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 08-10-2019 at 05:38 PM.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Ditto what Z5 stated also with tractor at operating temp(190-200°) engine running,3 pt raised look in hyd filler hole behind seat for moving oil. Does tractor have a FEL installed. How long since hyd filter was changed,hyd oil level checked & hyd oil sump screen checked/cleaned????
    Thanks to all of you that have offered your help.

I am kind of answering all the replies in this one post.

ZebraFive......Fluid and filter changed last year... Less than 15 hours put on it since then. Fluid is checked regularly when it is cold, and was checked before mowing this year.
    The steering valve was replaced this spring with a new one from All State Ag parts.

DRobinson......Thank you for telling me to put it in the "D" slot. If you would, please tell me what those other positions are ...and do.

I have looked in the back before and did not see any spray or flowing of fluid....I plan to do this again on Monday when I am home. I also plan to check and clean the screen on the front pump. Admittedly when I took this out previous, I only visually inspected it. I did not spray it with ether or cleaner. Same on the tubular filter in the bottom of the case in the rear.

I am assuming that the question about an FEL means a front end loader? It does not have one, however, at one point it did. There are still male and female quick connects threaded onto the side of the tractor where hoses once connected.

Again, thank you for your time and your answers. I will do my best to understand and continue to answer your offerings.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,523 Posts
    I assumed too much when I answered about the Load and Depth control. As Tx Jim stated, L/D control would be set in "L" or L/D" if you are using the tractor to plow. Make sure it is adjusted correctly and the friction washers are adjusted properly also.

TxJim has more experience than I, and his is much more current. Given the choice, listen to him. His information will be more accurate than mine.

If you don't have a tech manual, you might want to look for a John Deere manual. There are generic versions available, but they don't have the in depth information that you will need.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

Green In WV (08-11-2019)

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Green in WV
    I think all the people that replied gave you very good info. Yes by typing FEL I meant frt end loader. L/D bracket is marked L for load,D for depth & L/D which is a setting less sensitive than L
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 08-11-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Green In WV (08-11-2019)

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Don
    I can't remember if I ever thanked for your time spent in Vietnam helping protect the USA but THANK YOU.

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    12-04-2019 @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    I doubt the problem is the front pump. The advice already given is good. I was also wondering if your tractor has PTO lever between the shifters(independent pto), or hi-lo lever on left side of steering wheel. (looks just like the throttle lever) Those options can have internal leaks that cause hydraulic problems. If steering valve is noticeably hotter than other hydraulic components, then most likely your new valve still has problems. Hopefully you did get a correct valve for closed center hydraulics. I would also check the filter relief valve. It is located on the side of transmission just above the filter cup. Remove the plug using a 1 1/4" socket and valve cartridge can be pulled out to be sure it is not stuck open. Also, when you changed oil and filter last year, what was condition of oil? Was it milky indicating water contamination, or dark in color maybe indicating brake failure and contamination with failed brake material? You mentioned wiping the sump screen off. Was there any debris on it?
    BigJim55 likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast