Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onefarmer

Thread: 6115d hydraulics temperature

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks

6115d hydraulics temperature

I have a 6115d tractor that, when the pto is engaged, slowly has the temperature creep up to to the point where the stop light comes on. This can be anywhere from 45 min to 1.5 hours depending on rpms and implement. This happens on bailer, batwing mower, hay cutter.

I'll list all of the things I have done but what I think is a key to this is the temp difference between the inlet on the hydraulic oil cooler is only 4 degrees hotter than when it comes out. This can't be enough can it?

My one thought was that the oil bypass valve wasn't allowing the oil through the cooler but I removed the output hose, started the engine and oil came out. The flow rate I can't confirm but it was a lot. Regardless, any flow going through the cooler should cool more than that shouldn't it? with only a 4 degree drop, it picks up more than 4 degrees as it goes through the system so builds and builds.

Here is all I have done with no change in results:

Hours: 1200

PROBLEM:

After an hour of bush hogging with a batwing mower OR bailing hay (anything with the pto), my hydraulic oil temp creeps up to over 156F (as measured at the sight glass and oil cooler with IR gun) and eventually the stop light on the tractor comes on.

THINGS DONE:

1. Changed Hydraulic oil and filter
    2. Ensured coolant is topped off at max fill
    3. Removed output hose from cooler to and made sure oil is flowing out
    4. Made sure rocker arms are not up
    5. Confirmed oil level is between the lines on the sight glass
    6. Made sure the engine radiator and fuel cooler are normal temps. Hydraulic cooler is the only one hot
    7. Confirmed with JD that there is no sump filter that could be clogged. Its only filtered by the hyd. filter
    8. Attempted to bleed air from the cooler but not sure how to do that since the input and output are on the bottom.
    9. Used only hyguard oil and filter
    10. Cleaned the cone-shaped caps on the tractor(I don't know what they are called) where hydralic cylinders get locked in place. LIke a float valve. They were pretty cruddy inside.
    11. Washed all coolers (radiator, oil, fuel) thoroughly
    12. Cleaned air filters
    13. Removed hydraulic cooler and ran water through to confirm there is flow.
    14. tested temp diff on input/output of hydraulic cooler. No matter what temp, there is only a 4 degree drop across the cooler.
    15. IR tested the hydraulic cooler itself. The small tubes are about 10 degrees cooler than the main tubes. But the main tube exit is still only 4 degrees cooler. The bottom small tubes are a good bit cooler than the others. Might indicate that one set of coils is clogged. But that shouldn't cause this I would think.

OTHER INFO OF INTEREST:

When the PTO is engaged and the engine is revved, some oil dribbles in from the top of the sight glass and it has air bubbles. Eventually makes the sight glass a little cloudy from the bubbles. After stopping, they clear within 10 min.

ONLY REMAINING GUESSES:

Air bubbles in hydraulic oil not normal and causing the overheating or accumulate in the cooler until it is turned off
    Internal hydraulic leak (how would I know?)
    Open the bleed valve on the radiator while running? Not sure how that can help.
    Check to make sure filler cap vents are clean

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks
    dont know if this will help you but my 5115R would show hot hyd oil after running the pto after about 4 hours. heat gun showed it was not over heating. I thought maybe bad sensor. Dealer adjusted the draft arms up limit as it all ways sounded like hyd was crossing over relief valve. so far no problem
    BigJim55 likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onefarmer View Post
    dont know if this will help you but my 5115R would show hot hyd oil after running the pto after about 4 hours. heat gun showed it was not over heating. I thought maybe bad sensor. Dealer adjusted the draft arms up limit as it all ways sounded like hyd was crossing over relief valve. so far no problem
    Thank you I do put the arms up or down to prevent the implements from hitting when i turn. I'll take a look this weekend.

I was able to get the trouble codes (have to use the FUSE method of retrieving them).

1569.31 Engine power Derate condition exists

52395.31 No wheel speed while in gear

97.16 Water in fuel

I don't know what caused these or when... I cleared the error codes and cleaned the water in fuel sensor and fuel filter as best I could. Now the only message I have is 'High water sensor out of range'. I ordered fuel filter replacements to see if that message goes away before really trying it out by brushhogging.

I had changed the filters before and still had the error pop up but what I don't know is if it was a legit message because there is water in the tank. What's odd is the stop condition only happens after revving the engine at pto speed for 1.5 hours then sooner after it is hot. I don't know if heating the hydraulics causes the fuel temp to change and the stop to happen. The fuel cooler is right next to the hydraulic cooler.

Anyway, this weekend I'm changing the fuel filters, changing the hydraulic cooler, checking the adjustment on the arms, and seeing if that 'high water sensor out of range' goes away when I replace the filters. If not, I may have to get a new fuel filter water sensor. I'll also try to check my diesel tank to see if there is water at the bottom.

I don't know if the derate condition

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    The "no wheel speed while in gear" sounds like a ground speed sensor problem. Does your dash indicate ground speed?
    The derate, sounds like the electronics has derated engine power due to water detected in the fuel
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    The "no wheel speed while in gear" sounds like a ground speed sensor problem. Does your dash indicate ground speed?
    The derate, sounds like the electronics has derated engine power due to water detected in the fuel
    Once I got rid of that 'no wheel speed' error and then operated the tractor a while, the error never showed up again. Neither did the 'derated' message. For all I know, these had been obtained before I got the tractor. The only remaining message was the high water out of range. So we will see after I do all of the things I said and hit the brushhogging again. AFter getting the diagnostics and testing CD from John deere, I now know how to even tell what JD thinks the hydraulic temp is so if the STOP light comes on again, I will see what that reading is and that should let me know if the hydraulic temp sensor is bad.

I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the help.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements