Disaster or Inconvenience.. 2440 Differential Lock.??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Disaster or Inconvenience.. 2440 Differential Lock.???

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks

Diff Lock

Have not checked that, Zebrafive. We can see what looks like the end of a shaft protruding from the pedal mount. It looks sorta like a welded area on the end of the shaft...might just be paint and dirt. It is barely visible in one of the photos I posted. We were concerned about dislodging something that might be broken, so we left everything alone. I'll find some time in the next day or so to look at that more closely. If it is sheared, could the pin be replaced without pulling the axle housing? A nagging worry in the back of my mind is if any internal parts of the diff lock are actually broken and would potentially dislodge and fall in a bad place like the inner axle bearing or brake mechanism.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Page2 View Post
    Have not checked that, Zebrafive. We can see what looks like the end of a shaft protruding from the pedal mount. It looks sorta like a welded area on the end of the shaft...might just be paint and dirt. It is barely visible in one of the photos I posted. We were concerned about dislodging something that might be broken, so we left everything alone. I'll find some time in the next day or so to look at that more closely. If it is sheared, could the pin be replaced without pulling the axle housing? A nagging worry in the back of my mind is if any internal parts of the diff lock are actually broken and would potentially dislodge and fall in a bad place like the inner axle bearing or brake mechanism.
    I was referring to key 10 in the drawing. If it's that one, nothing internal has to be disturbed. But it could be key 9, which would require a tear down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2440dlock.PNG  
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-30-2019)

5. Top | #23
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The fact the pedal is down, but the differential in not locked, makes me think it's one of the two keys 9 or 10 sheared.
    Start with the easy one, key 10.

If key 10 is OK, you might be able to remove it and o ring key 2 and tap the shaft rearward, knocking plug key 5 out and tap the shaft out far enough to check/replace key 9? Then tap the shaft back without any internal parts coming off?

I don't know if the fork key 8, shoes key 6, or shift collar key 7 usually break My guess would be a key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2440dlock.PNG  
    DRobinson likes this.
    J

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Thanks

Diff Lock

Thanks, Zebrafive.

I looked up the removal/repair of the diff lock in my Tech Manual. Have to start by alternately driving the shaft to the rear and the pedal forward enough to remove the front pin (key 10) and then the pedal from the shaft. The pedal and shaft end are in a recessed area on the transmission case, so that might be easier said than done. The manual also said to remove the lock collar and shoes before working on the front pin. Probably to prevent damage to those parts when driving the shaft and pedal. If the shaft slides freely back and forth through the yoke, then that would not be a problem. The Woodruff key is removed when the shaft is driven rearward enough for it to be removed. All the instructions assume working from the inside with the axle housing removed.

I will see if the pin is visible with the pedal in its current position. If the parts diagram is correct, the slot/pin in the shaft should align with the slot in the pedal. If it doesn't, then that pin would be sheared. Doesn't look like there is a way to replace it without following the procedure above... Argghhh...

Am also curious about the location of the "plug" (key 5). I don't remember seeing anything like that on the outside of the differential housing, but I'll look again.

9. Top | #25
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here are pictures of my 2030, to show how high my dif lock pedal is and the plug (below the two orange and green hydraulic hose caps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030366.JPG   P1030368.JPG  
    DRobinson likes this.
    J

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

Page2 (10-02-2019)

11. Top | #26
    Last Online
    Thanks

Diff Lock

Thanks, Zebrafive. Hope I can find time to go checkout the location of that plug on the 2440 tomorrow or at least by Friday. I'll post a photo of that area after I check it. Supposed to rain but I need to get some hay meadows mowing done. I'll also check for the serial number on the 146 loader, the subject of another post about bucket movement. Solved our overheating problem (subject of another post) with the replacement of the radiator and temp sending unit but the filler neck on the new radiator is about 1/2 inch shorter than the old one and the original radiator cap presses on the hood. The hole in the hood is not centered over the neck ...may have to enlarge the hole in the hood if we can't shift the hood a little to allow a smaller cap to be installed. We're eating this elephant one bite at a time.
    Clocks are easier..

JD 2440
    Massey Ferguson 65
    Wheel Horse C160

12. Top | #27

Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    If you can see the outer part of the shaft and the outer key is sheared you may be able to move the pedal and see the collar move on the shaft. If they move together it’s most likely not the outer key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ss313 For This Useful Post:

Page2 (10-03-2019)

14. Top | #28
    Last Online
    Thanks

Diff Lock Shaft

Found the aft end of the diff lock shaft...or actually just the plug covering the end of it. It is the small indented plug just above the hex-head plug. Spent about 6 hours mowing a field of Johnson grass and had no problems with lock, so looks like it is safe to ignore the broken actuating handle until we need to get into the axle housing for some other reason.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-06 11.44.07.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	708782

Sorry, should have rotated the photo before posting to show it in the proper vertical orientation.
    Last edited by Page2; Yesterday at 09:56 AM.
    ttazzman likes this.
    Clocks are easier..

JD 2440
    Massey Ferguson 65
    Wheel Horse C160

15. Top | #29
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Im still looking for the Hex head plug
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

16. Top | #30
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    Im still looking for the Hex head plug
    Looks JD ran out of hex plugs and substituted the more expensive quad (square) plug. To get one in factory JD green, you had to buy a whole tractor
    J

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast