• 6 Post By Zebrafive
  • 1 Post By Tx Jim

Thread: Is this stuff necessary???

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Thanks

Is this stuff necessary???

Removed radiator on our 2440 due to overheating problem...waiting on replacement... When we pulled the radiator, we found a couple of pieces of dirty stuff looking sort of like a foam seal or cushion. Found parts on JD Parts but local dealer said the two longest (of the several pieces) would cost about $200. Do these pieces perform some necessary or useful purpose? Could some more reasonably priced alternative be substituted?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    On the garden tractors the foam is essential to making sure air moves through the radiator not around it.

3m does have foil faced, sticky back, 1/2” foam insulation that people use.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-11-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Page2 View Post
    Removed radiator on our 2440 due to overheating problem...waiting on replacement... When we pulled the radiator, we found a couple of pieces of dirty stuff looking sort of like a foam seal or cushion. Found parts on JD Parts but local dealer said the two longest (of the several pieces) would cost about $200. Do these pieces perform some necessary or useful purpose? Could some more reasonably priced alternative be substituted?
    What is your serial number? I see there are two different catalogs. Are the highlighted strips shown below the pieces you need? What about #7 and #8?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2440_foam.jpg  
    BigJim55, Herminator and kylew like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-11-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    If the diagram I posted above is the parts you are looking for, the dealer may be blowing some smoke. JD Parts lists the replacement for the 16-inch long piece (#27) as a 60-inch long piece that you cut as needed for $29.50. You could probably cut the other long pieces from the same strip. The strip they reference for (#24) isn't available anymore but I assume you could use a section of the 60-inch piece as the one side is only 16-inches and the other is 10-inches.

If I add up the cost of all the foam pieces other than #24 it only comes to $84.

Like others have mentioned, you could probably source some generic foam strips. JD Parts gives the full dimensions of every piece of foam used.
    rydplrs, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-11-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies

Thanks rydplrs, I'll look for some of that 3M tape.

Thanks jgayman. My serial number is 2440 F 382208..I think that puts it about 1982 production year. My son pulled the radiator and said the trashy stuff was all he found. Not sure about the purpose of the two top pieces, but it looks like they provide some vibration or stability support to the radiator and hydraulic oil cooler. I'll check with the local dealer when I go to pick up several parts I have been waiting on.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks

Thanks jgayman. My serial number is 2440 F 382208..I think that puts it about 1982 production year. My son pulled the radiator and said the trashy stuff was all he found. Not sure about the purpose of the two top pieces, but it looks like they provide some vibration or stability support to the radiator and hydraulic oil cooler. I'll check with the local dealer when I go to pick up several parts I have been waiting on.
    It’s sheets not tape. It is flexible though.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-14-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What is your serial number? I see there are two different catalogs. Are the highlighted strips shown below the pieces you need? What about #7 and #8?
    For key 27 I used weather striping with adhesive (peel & stick) from a big box building store. Key 7 goes over the radiator fill neck and under the hood. Key 8 goes on the oil cooler. The slits are for the hose from the oil cooler and vent hose from the shifter's mount

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2440shiftervent.PNG   2440venthose.PNG  
    rydplrs, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-14-2019)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    On the garden tractors the foam is essential to making sure air moves through the radiator not around it.

3m does have foil faced, sticky back, 1/2” foam insulation that people use.
    You are correct, the foam is to force the air (pulled by the fan) through the radiator.
    DRobinson, rydplrs, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrafive View Post
    you are correct, the foam is to force the air (pulled by the fan) through the radiator.
    ditto
    BigJim55 likes this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Page2 (09-14-2019)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks

Making progress...

Picked up the new radiator Thursday and some other parts, including the manuals, we had been waiting on. Asked parts man about foam pieces...sure enough,they don't have any on hand and one is no longer available. Prices are a lot more reasonable than they first told me. Looking for substitute at least for the interim.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements