• 4 Post By OxPath
  • 1 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: 6415, wonder what this does?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks

Question 6415, wonder what this does?

I am planning to change the coolant and flush the cooling system on my JD 6415.
    The owner's manual says to turn connect/disconnect control "anti-clockwise" as far as it will go.
    After two flushes, and final refill with coolant, running to operating temp and adding coolant to the maximum line, the manual says to turn connect/disconnect control clockwise as far it will go.

I am just curious what the connect/disconnect control does? It must be only for coolant flushes, but what it does is a mystery to me

Key 22 is the connect/disconnect control, key 20 is the drain valve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6415cooling.PNG  
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 09-11-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    Some kind of bypass shut off?
    What's # 26?
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Some kind of bypass shut off?
    What's # 26?
    Key 26 is a thermostat. The tractor has an intake cooler and hydraulic oil cooler, key 4 is another thermostat, same P/N as key 26
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6415coolers.PNG  
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 09-11-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    kylew likes this.
    J

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I started the coolant drain/flush today.
    The connect/disconnect control was very hard to get to.
    I ended up removing the battery hold down and moving the battery forward. Still hard to get the 10mm internal hex bit engaged. All I have in that size is 3/8" drive. No room for the head of my ratchet , no room for a universal , so I was able to put a 3/8" drive breaker bar on the 10mm hex bit. If I had it in 1/4" drive, a 1/4" drive ratchet might have fit.

The connect/disconnect control would only move about 1/8 of a turn. Maybe that's all it's supposed to move? I tried turning both ways, but I only get about the 1/8 turn. If I try to move beyond that it feels like the plastic hex is starting to deform, so I stopped. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and change.

I worried the drain plug would also be stuck, but it turned very easy
    DRobinson, OxPath, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    J

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 637 Posts
    I found the following, which seems to be similar to the system your 6415 has. The photo of the connect / disconnect valve from the webpage appears to be somewhat different than that shown in the parts diagram, but it looks identical to the one shown in the 6415 online owner's manual I looked at. I get the impression from the text and image that the collar on the valve rotates slightly, rather than the entire unit.

NOTE: Tractor is equipped with dual temperature cooling system with two separate chambers (high temperature and low temperature) inside radiator. Connect/disconnect valve (B) isolates or combines chambers. Valve (B) MUST be opened completely to combine chambers to perform drain, flush, and refill procedure properly. It should be closed (chambers isolated) for normal operation.

Connect/disconnect control valve is located on front, center of bottom radiator tank directly behind battery.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT force connect/disconnect control valve past stop tab. Valve may be damaged if turned past stop tab.

DO NOT close connect/disconnect control valve until told to do so. Valve must be open for entire procedure. Failure to follow procedure could result in damage to engine components.

4. Turn connect/disconnect control valve counterclockwise approximately 1/4 turn to open.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT open drain valve (C) more than three full turns to avoid possible damage to radiator.

NOTE: Radiator drain valve is located on left, rear corner of bottom radiator tank near fan shroud.

5. Open radiator drain valve and let coolant flow until system is empty.

NOTE: Temperature range is indicated for thermostat initial opening and fully open positions. Different part suppliers may result in slight variation from specified temperatures.

6. Remove thermostat housing (E) and thermostat.

7. Test thermostat to verify it opens within specified temperature range.
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OxPath For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (09-12-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I my connect/disconnect control only moved about 1/8th turn, but hard to tell. I did not force it, but did try going back and forth incase it was stuck. I have left it turned as instructed, counterclockwise for the two fills and flushes so far.

I did not count the turns of the drain plug, it turned very easy both to open and close. I turned it until it started drainind all over my front axle. The drain must be directly above it, splatters every where

I ran the tractor at about 1500 rpm until the temp gauge was up to 4 bars, then it would not get any hotter.
    I removed the expansion tank fill cap.
    I turned the connect/disconnect control 1/8th turn counter clockwise, far as it would go, without forcing it.
    I drained the radiator. I got just over 3 gallons, about 3 1/4 gallons out.
    Then closed the drain valve.

I waited until the engine block was cool to the touch, about 2 hours.
    Filled with distilled water to full mark on the expansion tank.

Ran again until engine would not get any hotter.
    Drained, again 3 1/4 gallons came out.
    Closed drain valve

Waited for it to cool 2 hours
    Filled a second time with distilled water to full mark on the expansion tank.
    Ran a third time until engine was not getting any hotter.
    Drained a third time
    Closed drain valve.

I am waiting for it to cool and then will refill with JD COOL GARD to expansion tank max.
    My owner's manual says to run 5 minutes, shutdown, add more coolant to the expansion tank max mark, run to operating temp, add coolant (if needed) to expansion tank max mark. Turn connect/disconnect control clockwise to stop. Install expansion tank cap.

The coolant that drained out looked very clean! It was not dirty, rusty, or brown, but a nice, almost JD green
    OxPath likes this.
    J

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Thanks
    I did not study up on all the posts and proper instructions but will just say this from experience. This experience could have been on a 6415, 7230 and or 6330 but I thank they all work the same. The transmission and or hydraulic cooler are water cooled. If the valves are not operated properly that cooler can air lock. Then that system will over heat under load. You can probably air lock part of the radiator as well. I just went by the instructions in the book on the back of the seat and worked it out.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements