6115d will not go forward. ONly neutral and reverse.
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By RAM2940
  • 3 Post By eawrink
  • 2 Post By Deere1
  • 1 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: 6115d will not go forward. ONly neutral and reverse.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks

6115d will not go forward. ONly neutral and reverse.

I was brushhogging, driving through some rather tall saplings, put the clutch in, and the tractor wouldn't go in forward. It goes in reverse though. I'm hoping it is a linkage because there were a few sticks stuck here and there but I can't see any loose or torn linkages.

Here is what I tried:

1. Put in reverse and neutral. Works fine.
    2. Put in drive, no movement at all
    3. changed all gears ABC and 123 combos
    4. Turned tractor off, powerreverser in drive, tried to start. The safety catch wouldn't let it start. It electronically knew it was in drive.
    5. The powerreverser lever freely goes in reverse, neutral, and drive with the same feel it normally does.
    6. Checked fuses
    7. Put in diagnostic fuse (no error codes).
    8. Checked hydraulic fuel level.
    9. Engaged pto and diseng

aged.

When I move from neutral to reverse or even drive, I can't see any physical linkages moving. Are they internal or should i be able to see them?

6115d, <50000 serial, wet clutch, powerreverser, 2011 I think. 1000 hours.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    The power reverser is all electronic, Most likely pulled wires from forward selnoid, or micro switch in reverser handle could go bad.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM2940 View Post
    The power reverser is all electronic, Most likely pulled wires from forward selnoid, or micro switch in reverser handle could go bad.
    When I put in forward, I hear a click over by the fuse area and the N light goes off so I think the system is getting the signal that the driver wants to go forward so maybe less likely that the problem with the reverser handle is the problem. But I think you are right about the forward solenoid being the culpret because that is right near where I found a stick lodged. I didn't even know where that forward solenoid was located.

I did check for loose wires and didn't see any. And if the forward solenoid was disconnected i would think there would be a ptr code. I'm searching the troubleshooting manual now. One crazy thought was to switch the reverse solenoid and forward solenoid to see if the tractor then only goes in forward. But who knows what else that would screw up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eawrink View Post
    When I put in forward, I hear a click over by the fuse area and the N light goes off so I think the system is getting the signal that the driver wants to go forward so maybe less likely that the problem with the reverser handle is the problem. But I think you are right about the forward solenoid being the culpret because that is right near where I found a stick lodged. I didn't even know where that forward solenoid was located.

I did check for loose wires and didn't see any. And if the forward solenoid was disconnected i would think there would be a ptr code. I'm searching the troubleshooting manual now. One crazy thought was to switch the reverse solenoid and forward solenoid to see if the tractor then only goes in forward. But who knows what else that would screw up.
    If the forward and reverse solenoids have the same P/Ns I would try swapping them.

NOT swap the reverse wires to the forward solenoid to see if goes forward when the reverser lever is in R
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    If the forward and reverse solenoids have the same P/Ns I would try swapping them.

NOT swap the reverse wires to the forward solenoid to see if goes forward when the reverser lever is in R
    Very good point. Thanks so much. It will be this weekend before I can further investigate. I also was able to find out how to test the codes to see if the system 'thinks' it is in drive, 'thinks' the solenoid is engaged. Good thing I'm a programmer or I couldn't drive my tractor lol.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Solution found

Well thought I would close out the loop in case someone else ever has this issue. Figuring out that there is a spot for a fuse that allows access to the codes was a gold mine.

AFter looking at all of the codes while putting in forward, neutral, reverse, I could confirm that the tractor knew I was putting it in forward, the clutch was out, the solenoid was in place. So all electronics were good. This focused me down to the solenoids. There is a forward solenoid and a reverse solenoid. Since they are the same part, I was able to remove the solenoid casing from each and swap them. I fully expected the tractor to go into forward and not reverse. It didnt. So I know the electronic part of the solenoid was working. Next, I put my phone in video mode to watch the solenoids to see if they did anything when I moved the lever. They didnt. Then I had my dad hold a socket in the solenoid when I moved the levers. When I did, a magnet sucket the socket into the hole. Ok, so the internal valve is controlled by a magnet and the magnets are activating. So finally I swapped out the internal valves of forward and reverse. The tractor would go in forward but not in reverse! So the internal valve that allows hydraulic fluid to pass through when the gear is activated was not working when the magnetism was applied!

So I ordered part# YZ502360. Turns out you have to buy the whole solenoid which includes the magnet part as well as the plunger that was bad. $163 list price. Way better than taking it to John Deere. No telling how much that would have cost.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    dieselshadow, BigJim55 and jimmylh like this.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eawrink For This Useful Post:

theduke (09-28-2019), Zebrafive (09-29-2019)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 05:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting the solution. Nice work.
    Zebrafive and eawrink like this.
    John Deere 5320 4WD with 520 FEL, MX-8 Mower, X585 with 45 FEL, X300, LT 133

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eawrink View Post
    Well thought I would close out the loop in case someone else ever has this issue. Figuring out that there is a spot for a fuse that allows access to the codes was a gold mine.

AFter looking at all of the codes while putting in forward, neutral, reverse, I could confirm that the tractor knew I was putting it in forward, the clutch was out, the solenoid was in place. So all electronics were good. This focused me down to the solenoids. There is a forward solenoid and a reverse solenoid. Since they are the same part, I was able to remove the solenoid casing from each and swap them. I fully expected the tractor to go into forward and not reverse. It didnt. So I know the electronic part of the solenoid was working. Next, I put my phone in video mode to watch the solenoids to see if they did anything when I moved the lever. They didnt. Then I had my dad hold a socket in the solenoid when I moved the levers. When I did, a magnet sucket the socket into the hole. Ok, so the internal valve is controlled by a magnet and the magnets are activating. So finally I swapped out the internal valves of forward and reverse. The tractor would go in forward but not in reverse! So the internal valve that allows hydraulic fluid to pass through when the gear is activated was not working when the magnetism was applied!

So I ordered part# YZ502360. Turns out you have to buy the whole solenoid which includes the magnet part as well as the plunger that was bad. $163 list price. Way better than taking it to John Deere. No telling how much that would have cost.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Here's a drawing from JDparts P/N YZ502360 is key 14
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6115dsolenoid.PNG  
    eawrink likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Remove Advertisements