2950 Hydraulic problem arose, knocking sound on pump.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 2950 Hydraulic problem arose, knocking sound on pump.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    Dash light came on, my manual says it’s low fluid or clogged filter. 3 leaks on it so I was pretty sure it was fluid. Every time I checked it showed full. I did what a friend said, wait over night, let it cool down then check fluid levels. I checked hydraulic and it’s still showing to much, just guessing I’d say 3-4qts maybe even more. I resently changed engine oil and 1qt will move fluid up on the dipstick slightly over .25 inch. That knocking is coming from the hydraulic pump. If it’s under pressure (turning wheel) the pump doesn’t knock anymore.... last owner put new fluid in it. He owned a mechanic shop but I wouldn’t be surprised if they messed up, seems like if you don’t do it yourself there will always be a problem. I’ve been running it a few months now and it hasn’t been knocking, front loader bleeding down fast was the only issue, occasionally the loader would jerk going up until everything got warm, still strong, would pull trees and lift 2,400lb pallets ... believe the pump is messed up but I’ll go through the other steps first before spending I believe $800 on a new one

A man mentioned if it’s low the pump should whine not knock.

Tazzman:

Follow up, The AC Is working great, everything drains like it should, no leaks, will freeze you out of it on 100 degree day. I turned it off thinking less pull on motor maybe it would help cool. Don’t believe I’m having a engine cooling problem just a problem with the old factory gauge, maybe sensor. Someone said to much hydro fluid may cause heating so I need to look into that. I will replace it will a new water coolant gauge since one stated a pyro gauge is most for turbo operated machines like my truck.

I’ve only been using the 8ft offset that’s sorta when the hydraulics started acting up. It’s a very slow go but I like it, needs new front blades because notches are worn smooth. I don’t think it needs to be done every year. Sorta happy I just found tires for it and took the cylinder off the 14ft to operate it. Probably will park it under a tree lol. The 14ft, here in Texas my weather app says we have some rain coming next week. Ground is so dry that’s why I hit it with the offset thinking maybe even if it’s a little rain it will soak in.

Stopped on the hwy and spoke with older man who always has a nice field of oats. He told me to put fertile out and disc it lightly in the ground out of the sun, rain or no rain. Then 100lb an acre of bob oats around the first of oct. after that throw 20 lb an acre of rye grass out over the oats to protect then against winter. Saying oats thrive now-dec, feb-March they stop then going into spring they kick it into high gear so they can seed. 80 year old man... seemed to know a lot. Rotates his cattle over 100 acres sorta like me but I’ve only got 30. Rotate the cattle and they become less picky and it tricks their minds they will eat weeds and such. All this talk was hitting home with me because I noticed the same thing with my herd. States that oats have so much protein he only puts the herd on them for 2 hrs then back on dry grass. Doing this he’s never bought hay. This again is hitting home run with me since the hay field may not be big enough for a 3rd cut and I was thinking about grazing it and rotating them, this was before the older man even mentioned it. My reason was that i wanted a good stand of oats and the cows may eat them down to fast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9A603A2B-2FC1-4E16-B6E5-645D986D5BAF_1568565344270.jpeg  
    Last edited by Iron horse; 09-15-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    rtgt and ttazzman like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I read something about burnt bushings May be causing the problem? Bushings in the pump I’m guessing... the man seemed like it was a easy fix... im mechanically inclined but I can’t say I know much about tractors. So far everything is a hard learning experience. Replacing AC took me over a month. To me that’s embarrassing.
    rtgt likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 1,206 Posts
    2950 Hydraulic oil level should be check with tractor at operating temperature and engine idling.

Noise from the main pump is most likely coming from the main pump drive. Check condition of Cushion #3, Couplings #2 and #4, Cap Screws #5, Splines inside Drive Shaft #6 and Splines on Pump Shaft. Also where screws #1 retain coupling to the engine crank pulley.

Last edited by flyweight; 09-15-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (09-21-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    2950 Hydraulic oil level should be check with tractor at operating temperature and engine idling.

Noise from the main pump is most likely coming from the main pump drive. Check condition of Cushion #3, Couplings #2 and #4, Cap Screws #5, Splines inside Drive Shaft #6 and Splines on Pump Shaft. Also where screws #1 retain coupling to the engine crank pulley.

That does make since since it’s spinning fast. When I check the condition of cushion and couplers what exactly am I looking for? Slack? Would something in the drive cause the dash light to come on as well? I was under it earlier after looking at my manual. Will replace the filter and clean the screen before I mess with the pump... the drive spins the pump besides noise it still isnt working right as far as how hydraulic systems should work. Has to be at a high rpm around 1500 to function. In one of the instructions in my manual it says “carefully install new packing coated with grease in transmission case grooves” this sounds like Spanish. Will it be self explanatory when I order the new filter then unbolt that cover to expose the old. Guessing the new filter comes... with grease on it.

I’ve been trying to find out oil capacity for the system but I’m not having any luck. JD dealership may have it when I order filter.

Last question, on a older tractor can I get by with cheaper fluid then the JD brand? When I changed it in the 2015 model i went with there’s because I was told the breaks run in it blah blah blah but it was $120 for 5 gallon buckets if I’m remembering right. I have half a bucket left. Haven’t checked but maybe it hasn’t sweated and allowed moisture inside the bucket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D4CD2182-2500-4C41-80E4-CCC877CEFA2B_1568581450541.jpeg  

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    The 29 series tractors are famous for getting internal leaks, which could cause the oil to overheat. You should take some pressure readings around the tractor and make sure all pressures are good, theres a port to read high low shift, should be around 160 psi.
    Last edited by RAM2940; 09-15-2019 at 05:29 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RAM2940 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (09-21-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM2940 View Post
    The 29 series tractors are famous for getting internal leaks, which could cause the oil to overheat. You should take some pressure readings around the tractor and make sure all pressures are good, theres a port to read high low shift, should be around 160 psi.
    Internal leaks got brought up once when I was asking people about the loader falling down. That was months ago.... say it over heats, on morning start up the oil should be normal. On start up the dash light pops on immediately saying low fluid or clogged filters.

I did text the last owner to see if he cleaned the filters when he drained and changed the oil. He never replied back. I wanna take that as a no....

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    A internal leak could give low pressure readings at idle which would cause that light to come on, then when you increase throttle, pressures rise light goes out, but the leak would cause the system to work harder creating more heat. Not saying you have a leak, but there are test ports that you can get a idea of the tractors condition.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RAM2940 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (09-21-2019)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    On the 2959 pump is there a inlet strainer or anything that can get clogged,

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron horse View Post
    That does make since since it’s spinning fast. When I check the condition of cushion and couplers what exactly am I looking for? Slack? Would something in the drive cause the dash light to come on as well? I was under it earlier after looking at my manual. Will replace the filter and clean the screen before I mess with the pump... the drive spins the pump besides noise it still isnt working right as far as how hydraulic systems should work. Has to be at a high rpm around 1500 to function. In one of the instructions in my manual it says “carefully install new packing coated with grease in transmission case grooves” this sounds like Spanish. Will it be self explanatory when I order the new filter then unbolt that cover to expose the old. Guessing the new filter comes... with grease on it.

I’ve been trying to find out oil capacity for the system but I’m not having any luck. JD dealership may have it when I order filter.

Last question, on a older tractor can I get by with cheaper fluid then the JD brand? When I changed it in the 2015 model i went with there’s because I was told the breaks run in it blah blah blah but it was $120 for 5 gallon buckets if I’m remembering right. I have half a bucket left. Haven’t checked but maybe it hasn’t sweated and allowed moisture inside the bucket.
    The filter will not come with grease on it. You need to put grease on the packing, key 1 and install in the transmission case, then install the filter in the housing as a unit. When I did my 2030 last time I pinched the packing and had a massive leak at startup Then I tried putting the packing on the filter housing, but it did not fit the housing right, second massive leak Finally I installed in the transmission case as I should have first and no leaks

I am guessing your tractor holds about 13 gallons. I would buy John Deere Hy Gard. Last time I bought some in July it was $70 for a 5 gallon pail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2950transfilter.PNG  
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 09-15-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron horse View Post

The filter will not come with grease on it. You need to put grease on the packing, key 1 and install in the transmission case, then install the filter in the housing as a unit. When I did my 2030 last time I pinched the packing and had a massive leak at startup [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/nunu.gif[/IMG] Then I tried putting the packing on the filter housing, but it did not fit the housing right, second massive leak [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/hide.gif[/IMG] Finally I installed in the transmission case as I should have first and no leaks [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/yahoo.gif[/IMG]

I am guessing your tractor holds about 13 gallons. I would buy John Deere Hy Gard. Last time I bought some in July it was $70 for a 5 gallon pail.
    Thanks for the information I’m sure I’ll need it and it was probably $75 for 5 gallons when I purchased it lol. Seems like everything together with the filter was over 200 for the 2015 model. All I know is thinking that the oil was to high but I’m pretty cheap lol.

I’d like to say what happened and maybe hear what someone thinks might’ve caused this. I went this morning to start it, heard it knocking and cut it off. Then I read to check it with it running and in neutral. Go outside to do that but left the key on with AC fan blowing and batteries dead so charged the batteries. Charge it up, go outside and start it to check the level of fluid. Said to myself the hell with the knocking I need to know the fluid level. So it was running idle then I use the loader and it was jerky. Idle it up and then everything started working fine after a minute. No more knocking either. The i idled it down thinking well it always worked better idled up and the motor is to loud to hear knocking. Idle it down, no more knocking and everything works like it did before (Fixed itself) knock on wood.

I check the fluid and just like with the machine off it’s to high. I didn’t drain it like a normal person yet filled my disc hydraulic line up then unhooked it and pressed it on the disk to let it spew out (tree huggers love me)... I did this about 16 times lol. I believe it’s at the right level now. Everything seems to work fine. What do y’all think caused this? Air in the pump? Oil got to hot like the guy above said? I was working it solid in the field for hours. Shouldn’t have gotten air in the lines. I though that stuff was suppose to work it’s way out.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast