Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: What A Mess !! 2440 hydraulic oil change

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks

What A Mess !! 2440 hydraulic oil change

Except for overheating problem the JD 2440 was running fine when we recently purchased it. Got that and a few minor issues resolved and started routine maintenance, new coolant, oil and filter change, air filter change, then started drain and replace of hydraulic fluid. And that is when the bottom dropped out of the bucket..figuratively speaking. First thing we found was there was way too much fluid in the tractor...about 20 gallons instead of the expected 10 gallons!! Here is a picture of one of the 5 gallon buckets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hydraulic Fluid Resized.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	698.7 KB 
ID:	706132

Then we pulled the hydraulic filter...notice the collapsed inner metal screen..!!

Name:	Hydraulic Filter Resized.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	459.4 KB 
ID:	706134

Then we pulled the transmission screen. It was almost completely blocked by that gooey mess...some of which looked like grass.

Name:	Transmission Screen 2 Resized.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	545.5 KB 
ID:	706136

As the screen dried in the open air, the mess gradually turned darker but doesn't appear to contain any particles of anything other than dirt.

Name:	Transmission Screen 1 Resized.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	706138

We used a magnet in the last bucket of fluid and found a few particles of metal. We did not see any other particles in the earlier drained fluid as we transferred the catch basin to a bucket. The cowling pins in the photo were there just to weigh down the towel for the photo.

Name:	Metal Particles in Fluid Resized.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	562.4 KB 
ID:	706140

We hope the distorted filter is just a result of the clogged screen. Could it also be the result of a bad pressure relief valve?

We are nervously awaiting some words of relief. Thanks in advance.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, fdmars and 4 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Page2 View Post

We are nervously awaiting some words of relief. Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like it was setting out and rain found a way in.

Those are a nice tractor and the good thing is it was working fine. Might have to flush the hydraulic oil a couple times to get some of the moisture out though.
    Last edited by Herminator; 09-21-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

What A Mess !!

Yeah, I wondered about water...but man, 10 gallons of water...? When the fluid settles down in the first bucket (wonder how long that would take?), we can check the bottom to see if there is any water, since I would expect that one to contain some if it is present. The tractor has been sitting for several days as we worked on other issues and we just drained the hydraulic fluid today.
    etcallhome, rtgt, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 AM
    Thanks
    I think after a second fluid change things will be fine.
    That sure is a funny looking canister filter. I'm used to seeing holes around the periphery where dirty fluid enters the filter and normally exits the center of the filter.
    Plus the seal is so large.
    I'm not familiar with your tractor at all, so I'm not saying the filter is incorrect for the application, it's just different than what I am used to.
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Thanks
    I haven’t found it yet but I bet it holds more than 10 gallon. It’s hydraulic rate is 9gpm that would be a very quick turn over.

Well just found it. It said 10 gallons. Let’s just hope it’s 1 gallon of water but the previous owner thought 10 was not enough so they added some extra.
    Last edited by Herminator; 09-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    DRobinson, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    The filter probably collapsed due to the filter being clogged. SInce the screen was nasty, I am sure the filter collected alot of finer debris also. Another thing can cause collapsed filter. That is the moisture in the oil. If you are in a cold climate, the oil can get ice crystals in it from the moisture and the filter gets clogged with ice. Filter relief valve should prevent collapse, but ice could restrict relief valve from working as well. Might want to pull filter relief out to check it also.
    DRobinson, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

What A Mess !!

Thanks JeffB..I will check the new filter against part listed in JDParts, and compare it to the old one. I just told the dealer parts man what I wanted it for and he sacked it up for me.

Thanks Herminator... prior owner said something about "changing/adding" fluid and showed me the container (I think it said 303 or something like that..not Hy-Gard). But then, he also said the diff lock (subject of a different post) was inoperative because the tractor has the Reverser transmission...It does have Reverser but I knew the comment about the diff lock was incorrect. I wish I had known enough about the tractor to have checked the fluid level with the dipstick. Fluid probably would have gushed out since it is at a much lower level than the filler cap...but I didn't know there was a dipstick at the time. Too soon old, too late wise.

Thanks jd110...I saw something about the relief valve in the Tech Manual. Says you need a "special" tool to remove it. I'll check into that further. Never thought about ice. I also suppose the relief valve could be plugged with the same gooey mess as the screen.

We need to get this figured out so we can put the tractor to work...got a lot of Johnson grass to mow.
    DRobinson, rtgt, OxPath and 3 others like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Thanks
    You need to check gear shift lever boots for cracks. The boots have a long history of allowing water to enter hyd system. Also check to be sure breather hole in hyd filler cap isn't clogged. AR75603 is the correct hyd filter. It happens to be one of the cheaper priced parts JD offers.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, rtgt and 3 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    The plugged screen would not have affected the filter. The screen is for suction to the transmission pump, which pumps to the filter, then to main (front pump)

I agree with TxJim, check your shifter boots. I am on the third set on the 2030 (in 25 years), but it does not sit outside.

No special tools required to remove the filter relief valve. Remove plug 22, get a new o-ring 23, pull out 24. Parts 26 spring and 27 are in 24, held by pins 25. No need to disassemble, just make sure 27 moves back and forth inside 24 and the spring returns it. NOTE the way it comes out, so you put it back in correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1530filterrelief.PNG  
    rtgt, BigJim55, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks

What A Mess !!

Thanks Tx Jim...I'll check the shifter boots and filler cap. I suppose if water can get in that easily, so could dirt and maybe the "grass" we saw on the screen.

Thanks Zebrafive...when I saw the "special tool" in the tech manual, I immediately thought of the way bicycle handlebars are attached to the steering tube...same sort of sliding/expanding plug...and then I thought of how I could make one...glad to hear I don't even need one. I'll check the main filter also to see if any of the gooey mess made it through the inner screen.

Been studying the tech manual to understand the hydraulic flow sequences..some of it is beginning to stick in my remaining memory cells....
    rtgt, BigJim55, Herminator and 1 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast