Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Super55

Thread: JD 5300 MFWD - Front Axle Drive Shaft

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks

JD 5300 MFWD - Front Axle Drive Shaft

I posted this in my intro. post and then read that that forum is not for technical issues. So I'm here.

I'm having a problem with the plate that has the seal in it that seals the rear side of the front axle where the drive shaft goes in. Plate and seal keeps blowing out/coming out. Obviously there's pressure build up to force the plate and seal out. When installed a new plate w/seal, also replaced the axle breather on the top of the front axle. Installed a month ago and blew out again today, even with new breather. Drive shaft has no play, so assume the shaft bearing is still good. Why/how would I build up more internal pressure than the breather can release, and consequently blow the pate and seal out? What's my next step? Can't be doing this every month.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Did you check that the passage for the breather was clear?
    Did you use sealant/retaining compound on the plate?
    Oil level correct? Not too much?
    By driveshaft, did you mean the pinion gear( shown as part of key 5) ? No forward/rearward movement?

Has anyone tightened the nut key 2? There is a "crush" spacer key 4, between the bearings, that can be crushed too much and put too much preload on the bearings, if someone tried to tighten the nut, key 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5300pinionmfwd.PNG  
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Thanks
    I was having pressure buildup in both my 4310 and 4400 on my front axle. Not enough to where I was blowing out seals but if you checked it after running it for some time you could hear a small hiss like opening a bottle of soda when you checked the fluid level.

I ended up taking the smallest drill bit I could find and drilled a hole right through the plastic fill plug to let it vent. So far I haven't noticed any contamination to the oil from water entering it to the point where it needs to be changed and I did this 3 years ago.
    Zebrafive likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements