Green Tractor Talk banner

have to pump pedal to stop on 3140

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bcbrouwer 
#1 ·
Hi, i've got a 1982 3140 jd, and as the title says I can push the brakes to the floor and have no brakes unless I pump it 2-3X, then it will stop fine, though abrupt. I have had the brake valve apart and saw nothing obvious, o-rings and such were good. Im guessing piston seals leaking internally? Haven't got much experience with these series of tractors. any help on what the problem is appreciated. thanks.

#2 ·
I assume since you had the brake valve off, that you bled out the brakes afterward? The bleed screws are on the top of each axle housing. If you have bled it out and still have no pedal, then the problem is inside the axle housing. The brake disk may be warped and/or the seals may be leaking on the pistons. I would recommend draining the transmission oil and remove the sump screen. If the brake lining has failed, it will be sucked to the screen. That will be confirmation the axles need to come off.

#3 ·
Thanks jd110. it does seem like its loosing oil inside, there is no dragging or resistance untill you pump the brake pedal a couple times. I suppose the facing could be gone, but it still brakes very sharp when I get resistance on the pedal. either way, I think the trumpets gotta come off. sounds like a winter project!

#4 ·
Once you get a firm pedal does it stay up under pressure or slowly go down? Did you bleed the system as JD110 asked? Just because it's the simplest thing to do, I would bleed the brakes (again if you did it before). It is also possible your master cylinder rebuild failed, cut/pinched o-ring, etc,

#5 ·
once I get tension on the pedal, it will hold and not leak down. there was no difference after I rebuilt the brake valve, same as before. maybe I missed something. i'll try bleeding the brakes again. However this problem gradually started before anything was touched on the brakes, before the valve was taken apart. also, when the tractor is cold, it will brake fine with one push of the brake pedals. its like as it warms up the oil is thiner and the sealing (somewhere) is letting it pass by. I remember when I was a kid my father had a 2350 (same vintage of tractor) that did the same thing, he ended up trading it though, so we never knew the problem. seems like it is common on these

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.