Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Trav1s

Thread: 1966 JD 112 Round Fender Charging issue

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-22-2018 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks

1966 JD 112 Round Fender Charging issue

Hello, new member here. Recently picked up a 66 112 round fender. When I bought it, the gen light on the dash was off. I cut some grass and the light is on non stop. I checked all wiring and replaced the regulator. Still no luck. I have to be overlooking something easy. Before I start it battery is at 12.9 volts. When running, at any speed, it is 12.2 volts.

Any suggestions for a newbie?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    There should be three wires on the regulator. The two outside ones should have around 110v ac current. Someone who is check this recently might remember exactly what that voltage should be. Then you should have a little over 14v dc coming out of the regulator. If there is no AC voltage it is a problem with the stater or the magnets have come loose on the flywheel. If that checks good. It is somewhere between the light/gauge or key switch. I am assuming this has a KOHLER in it with the flywheel generator type.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    There should be three wires on the regulator. The two outside ones should have around 110v ac current. Someone who is check this recently might remember exactly what that voltage should be. Then you should have a little over 14v dc coming out of the regulator. If there is no AC voltage it is a problem with the stater or the magnets have come loose on the flywheel. If that checks good. It is somewhere between the light/gauge or key switch. I am assuming this has a KOHLER in it with the flywheel generator type.

Thanks for the reply. It has a tecumseh in it. That is the one thing I didn't check was the flywheel. Guy told me he hD the starter/ generator rebuilt when I bought it. Don't know how true or how long ago it was.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Rf has a starter/generator that is driven by a belt from the flywheel. I’d guess the starter/gen needs rebuilt with new brushes.
    jdmich and Herminator like this.
    Trav1s on WFM
    '67 110, '68 side tag 110, '71 120/41 deck "worker," '77 312, '88 318/38 deck/49 blower, 7 & 10 carts, 51SV Chain saw, and a couple of old JD push mowers and a 318 needing a new heart.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Don’t think it is brushes. Probably won’t start or spin if brushes were that bad. Could be bad armature or VR or wiring. Have had all three situations across several RFs.

Do you have the service manual?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljob View Post
    Don’t think it is brushes. Probably won’t start or spin if brushes were that bad. Could be bad armature or VR or wiring. Have had all three situations across several RFs.

Do you have the service manual?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have a manual. I tossed a regulator on there for good measure. I also jumped the battery terminal and the gen terminal on the tractor. Volts didn't increase but gen light went off. Would a bad or dirty aka poor connection on starter relay cause issue? I have been through the wiring and ground. Grounds are good. Any figure it out

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements