• 1 Post By 69project
  • 2 Post By grandpajay

Thread: Looking for my restored 400 value

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-17-2018 @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks

Looking for my restored 400 value

Hello guys/gals.. So I picked up a 1980 400 with a rebuilt engine (fresh short block 2 years ago) but still the kohler 532. It obviously needed some resto so I took up the challenge. Turned out great and I put new bearing seals in the gearbox and fixed or painted everything the deck or mower needed. I wont bore everyone with details, but as of now, everything works and looks great. I have a 425 that I love and know that these go for decent money... but Im not familiar with the 400. Before I list it on craigslist, can someone help me out with a value? I will try and put up a few before and after pics. Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0053.jpg IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0055.jpg
    BigJim55, jdmich, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    That looks awesome. I have a 400, maybe I should run it over to you for restoration. As far as value does it have anything else besides the deck? I didn't see a three point or any other attachments but maybe I missed something?

400's are kind of tricky to value if you ask me. They are solid tractors but since some of their attachments are 400 only items it makes them not as desirable as say a 420 or 430. Their Koehler's have a bad rep for expiring well before they should do to their poor internal oiling system design.

To me that looks like a 4k tractor however, I don't know where you live and location is key to value with these tractors. If you are up North or in the North Central US (why I call the JD Garden tractor belt) of Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania then you would probably get real close to 4k. If you are in the south or Texas you won't get that unless you find a die hard JD garden tractor fan.

I recommend going to Weekend Freedom Machines.com and listing it there. There used to be a rather large group of 400 owners over there and I am sure someone would jump at the opportunity to own one. It would probably be in good hands over there. I would love to own yours but I would put it too work and I really would not want to trash that nice new paint.

I have seen 400's listed for 3-3500 that were not quite as nice as yours sit for a long time on CL. If you don't do WFM then I recommend Ebay since you have a wider market there. You will have to deal with some odd ball buyers and maybe even a dead beat bidder or two but it will sell. That is a really nice tractor, you did a great job. If you are interested in redoing another one I have one with a deck, front blade, Ruegg 3 point hitch, 35 tiller/PTO and a box blade. It is probably time for me to let it go but just have not brought myself to punch it off. It was my first JD and the damn thing still works well enough to be useful even though it has a charging problem.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 400 that is in similar condition. They are solid machine but machines like your 425 are much more desirable for every week use so you have to compare it to what they are going for for the average person in the 400 would be less. Itís very hard to judge because itís not worth $4000 but I wouldnít give it away for $2000 either because we both know it is one hell of a tractor. The ones I see on craigslist look like hell and they usually want 1000 to 1500.

At any rate you did a beautiful job and itís ready for another 30 years.
    posi, BigJim55, 89420 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-17-2018 @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys! I am in Buffalo NY so the market is hit or miss here. Really depends on the season. I had never heard of that web site before, so I will be sure to check it out.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    425's command a premium, unfortunately the 400's don't (as mentioned, because of the engine issues).
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 11:46 PM
    Thanks
    yep 400's are odd balls. prices seam to be down in my area i doubt you could sell it in my area for 2k seams like most people dont want the old stuff anymore as the severe (in my opinion) bad decision of deere to selling cheap junk at the box stores really cheapend the brand
    firemachine69 likes this.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    jd cs40 chainsaw (efco 940)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 89420 View Post
    yep 400's are odd balls. prices seam to be down in my area i doubt you could sell it in my area for 2k seams like most people dont want the old stuff anymore as the severe (in my opinion) bad decision of deere to selling cheap junk at the box stores really cheapend the brand
    Well, the last 400 was made in 1983 so....these are getting long in the tooth and finding one that is a good runner can be a challenge. Also these things are made for larger properties, something not a lot of folks have anymore. Using a tractor with all hand controls is an acquired taste and now that the first couple of generations of X series tractors have come down in price and they are much easier to use to get the same results as a 400. You have to want it or really know what it is about to fully appreciate it.

Really the thing that makes them odd ball is the Rear PTO speed of 840 rpm and the fact the front hitch is a different width than a 420/430. The implements/attachments that use those features don't interchange with any other JD tractor. They have a CAT 0 hitch so any non-PTO powered implement will work on it.
    Herminator likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    It was my first JD and the damn thing still works well enough to be useful even though it has a charging problem.
    I solved the charging issue on my 400 easily by replacing the rectifier. They're inexpensive and just take a couple of minutes to replace. I don't mean to derail this thread.

Nice 400, Aabelling!!
    Herminator and firemachine69 like this.
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    I solved the charging issue on my 400 easily by replacing the rectifier. They're inexpensive and just take a couple of minutes to replace. I don't mean to derail this thread.

Nice 400, Aabelling!!
    I replaced the voltage regulator (is that what you mean by rectifier) to no avail. I am thinking it's the stator, which means the engine has to come out if I read my service manual right? They do not make stators anymore (at least I couldn't find any) so I am guessing I will have to make it an ebay purchase. I have had mixed results buying electrical components on Ebay.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    When mine acted up I also thought it was the stator. Ended up a couple magnets moved on the inside of the flywheel and were touching. I ended up re-attaching them, canít remember what I used and I hope I wrote it in the service manual. Was either a contact cement or an expoxy of some sort.

As with you, I was not completely confident in the used one from eBay and I couldnít find any different readings between the stater I bought on eBay and the one I had so I put mine back in.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements