Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rydplrs

Thread: Update john deere 318

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-10-2019 @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks

Update john deere 318

Got the cobbled clutch system on the conversion honda straightened out with the help of Paul at T H E Company. These guys know their products. Originally the clutch free floated on the bearing and one strap to frame kept it from spinning ( clutch was not even bolted down ) The clutch off the onan bolted to the honda motor and with the bushing, it took the 1 inch shaft on honda to the 1 7/16 of the onan. Fired it up and smoked the belt. I adjusted the pto clutch and tensioned the belt in the up position. looking at the pulley on the deck it is cocked down and smoking the belt. All the pins and brackets look square, my buddy borrowed the service manual I got in the deal. Do I level the pulley (belt parallel between pulleys ) by adjusting the front deck turnbuckles or lower the back turnbuckle? The deck pulley is not horizontal and points down in front quite a bit and the belt angle smokes the belt Thanks Gordy

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 82shortbox View Post
    Got the cobbled clutch system on the conversion honda straightened out with the help of Paul at T H E Company. These guys know their products. Originally the clutch free floated on the bearing and one strap to frame kept it from spinning ( clutch was not even bolted down ) The clutch off the onan bolted to the honda motor and with the bushing, it took the 1 inch shaft on honda to the 1 7/16 of the onan. Fired it up and smoked the belt. I adjusted the pto clutch and tensioned the belt in the up position. looking at the pulley on the deck it is cocked down and smoking the belt. All the pins and brackets look square, my buddy borrowed the service manual I got in the deal. Do I level the pulley (belt parallel between pulleys ) by adjusting the front deck turnbuckles or lower the back turnbuckle? The deck pulley is not horizontal and points down in front quite a bit and the belt angle smokes the belt Thanks Gordy
    The deck gets adjusted and leveled for cutting, if the pulley is still tilted then the deck may be bent
    DRobinson likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks
    Nobody else has chimed in so the leading causes of belt failure are: bad bearings on a pulley, rust on pullleys. Even if free spinning this can cause severe issues. Finally misalignment. That might be a junk tensioner pivot, worn mule drive pivot or belt hitting a guide. The mule drive guides are common. The belt is clear when installed, then when tensioned it rubs hard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements