• 1 Post By IndianaJim
  • 1 Post By x1337computing

Thread: JD 318 Blowing White Smoke

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 07:30 AM
    Thanks

JD 318 Blowing White Smoke

So im pretty sure my 318 engine just blew today. Ive noticed over the last couple weeks oil has been pushing up threw the carb and pooling around the air filter. Today i was mowing for a while and all of a sudden it dropped rpm and white smoke started spewing out of the engine. I shut it off and let it sit for an hour and got it to start long enough to pull in the garage. It seemed to run strong and wasnt blowing any smoke.

Now im no master mechanic but i do know my way around engine bays and i am mechanically inclined. Im assuming the rings are shot on the pistons and its burning oil aka time for a rebuild. What i dont understand is why it seemed fine after i let it sit for an hour. Im looking for opinions and if i do need to rebuild what parts will i need?

Thanks guys!
    JD 2305 w\ 200CX Loader, 260 Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    Or your breather could be plugged...
    goat704! likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Or your breather could be plugged...
    Just found the CTM2 manual, I will check the breather tonight, thank you!

I posted this late last night when I was falling asleep so just want to clarify. The smoke was spewing out of the exhaust not the engine bay.
    Last edited by x1337computing; 08-08-2018 at 10:10 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x1337computing View Post
    Just found the CTM2 manual, I will check the breather tonight, thank you!

I posted this late last night when I was falling asleep so just want to clarify. The smoke was spewing out of the exhaust not the engine bay.
    Understood, but if its ok sometimes and not others, its not the rings.
    What happens with a bad breather is that it over pressurizes the crankcase, and since the breather feeds into the air cleaner, it forces oil in there, which gets sucked into the motor and burned, thus smoke. Generally fairly heavy at times.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Understood, but if its ok sometimes and not others, its not the rings.
    What happens with a bad breather is that it over pressurizes the crankcase, and since the breather feeds into the air cleaner, it forces oil in there, which gets sucked into the motor and burned, thus smoke. Generally fairly heavy at times.
    Jim,

Thank you very much for the info, makes sense. I'm really hoping you are right, I'm going to pull off the breather tonight and see how it looks. Hopefully its clogged and with a little TLC I can test it out before dark. I'll reply back with my findings.
    rydplrs likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Any update?

Generally, breathers consist of a reed valve, that keeps pressure from building in the engine. When they stop working, there is generally no way to repair them, just replace.
    The last engine I had do this was an older Briggs 13hp. It was fairly obvious what happened, as there was oil all over the inside of the air cleaner housing.
    Id start with that before I tore into it to get the breather out.

Do you have the service manual?
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I pulled the top portion of the breather tube off last night and it was not clogged. I didn't have time to pull the cover off the engine and check the reed yet. I do have the manual was going to try and check the reed and seal tonight but not sure if I will have time.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Update

Pulled breather completely down and took apart. Everything looked ok nothing was blocked. The gaskets were deteriorating but nothing looked out of the ordinary. I cleaned everything up and made gaskets with RTV sealant. I put everything back together and ran it for about 15 minutes slowly bringing the RPM's up. I left the top off the air cleaner and you could feel the breather air pulsating so the reed was working. It seems to run fine so I'm kinda of stumped on what happened. We are pretty much flooded out at the moment so wont be mowing again until end of this week. I guess I'll keep an eye on the oil level and periodically check the air cleaner pan to see if any more oil is pushing out.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements