316 tractor loses power and will start with 1 sparkplug removed?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 316 tractor loses power and will start with 1 sparkplug removed?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    316 tractor loses power and will start with 1 sparkplug removed?

    Hello,

    I have a 316 John Deere onan tractor and it is around 1986 the year I believe. It was working great for months. I parked the tractor and it was fine. Next day I came out and it really did not want to start. I changed the plugs, filled the tank and everything seems to be ok. I used starting fluid and got it started however it does not have any power. The faster I go the more it wants to stall and shut off. Its getting plenty of gas. I am also getting spark. If I remove 1 spark plug the tractor will start fine and seems to be alright. When I put it back in it has a hard time starting and if it does start it still does not have any power with the PTO on and also PTO on makes no difference. It on a flat level lot I am using it. The tractor does burn oil.

    Im stumped.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Nate848; 08-12-2018 at 12:56 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    7,847
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 744 Times in 631 Posts
    Sounds like a dying coil.

    Do you have a multi meter?

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Sounds like a dying coil.

    Do you have a multi meter?
    thanks, yes I do have a multi meter.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    7,847
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 744 Times in 631 Posts
    Primary resistance+ to - should be around 4.5 ohms. The secondary being + or - to a plug wire terminal is I’m guessing roughly 15k ohm on an oem coil, 25k on an aftermarket.

    It the coil tests in spec I would replace both plugs and wires as a hunch. The coil is in series, so strange things can happen from faulty parts.

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Primary resistance+ to - should be around 4.5 ohms. The secondary being + or - to a plug wire terminal is I’m guessing roughly 15k ohm on an oem coil, 25k on an aftermarket.

    It the coil tests in spec I would replace both plugs and wires as a hunch. The coil is in series, so strange things can happen from faulty parts.
    do i check it when the tractor is off and the key off or turn the key on but dont start it? sorry for the newbie question.

    Thanks

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    7,847
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 744 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate848 View Post
    do i check it when the tractor is off and the key off or turn the key on but dont start it? sorry for the newbie question.

    Thanks

    Disconnect all wires

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Disconnect all wires
    Hello again,

    No Luck with replacing the coil, ignition wires and spark plugs. One of the cylinders is not firing at all. There is plenty of spark and its getting plenty of gas. The cylinder is cold but the other side is working fine.

    Thanks

  10. Top | #8
    bloodrunsgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Location
    Mid-Michigan
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Do you know how to do a compression test on a cylinder? Since you say it is getting spark, fuel and air, the only thing missing is compression. So we need to find out what compression the non working cylinder has. If compression checks out (do both cylinders), then a leak down test will be needed.

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunsgreen View Post
    Do you know how to do a compression test on a cylinder? Since you say it is getting spark, fuel and air, the only thing missing is compression. So we need to find out what compression the non working cylinder has. If compression checks out (do both cylinders), then a leak down test will be needed.
    no dont have a compression tester. I will have to get one.

    Thanks

  12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •