• 1 Post By IndianaJim
  • 2 Post By machy

Thread: 322... running on a single cylinder... help please

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2018 @ 05:50 PM
    Thanks

322... running on a single cylinder... help please

Trying to bring an old, tired 322 back to life again. So far, I have replaced:

battery
    starter
    spark plugs
    fuel pickup
    fuel lines
    fuel filter
    fuel pump
    engine oil filter
    engine oil
    transmission fluid
    transmission filter

I have cleaned all wire terminals, especially the ground wires.

She turns over, and will actually run, but is running on a single cylinder. I have 12V to all three coils. However, when I put a test light on the trigger wire of the coils, only on the cylinder that successfully fires does the test light blink as I crank the engine. On one of the two coils the light is always on, and on the other coil the light is never on.

bad coils? or a bad module? something else?

Much thanks!
    Last edited by machy; 08-22-2018 at 08:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    All three coils should test the same, so something is definitely wrong. Might be the Transistor Module -- which is what actually fires the coils. That module is 'triggered' by the Pulsars. Here is some information that could help, including some test methods. Be sure to open this first green link, as well as read through the rest of the attached images...
    322 ign testing transistor module.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	322 ignition coil tests.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	644490

Name:	322 ignition theory part 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	644492

Name:	322 ignition theory part 2.jpg 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	644494

Name:	322 ignition wiring diagram.JPG 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	644496

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 08-22-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Tomfive likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Chuck! For tonight I was able to do the tests on the coils. 2 passed, one failed. The one that failed is the one that never had the test light turn on I mentioned earlier. That would certainly explain one not working, but the other one that didn't have the test light blinking (just stayed on while cranking) tested out normal. Hopefully tomorrow night I can get to testing the module.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-19-2018 @ 12:45 AM
    Thanks
    I'm going through somewhat the same thing with my 322. Unfortunately I made the mistake of purchasing the ignition module before being ABSOLUTELY sure that was my problem. I think I've got mine narrowed down to one WEAK coil that tests okay but doesn't put out enough spark to fire the cylinder. When mine still ran on one cylinder I was REALLY surprised. Especially since it seemed to run so smooth. It did have more throttle than at idle but still, one cylinder on a three cylinder engine?

If you come to the conclusion you need a new ignition module please email me and I'll sell you the one I have for less than your going to find a new one anywhere else.

Good luck and be sure to post back when you get it running.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    Its important to test components as described in the service manual.
    Simply lighting a plug tester isnt a good indication that the coil can do anything, except light the tester.
    I dont say that to get on anyone, rather that its a lesson I learned the hard way myself. I didnt have a manual, and didnt know the procedure, so on my old 318, and a few machines before that, Id do what I knew how to do, and go from there. Generally it ended up more as a "throwing parts at the problem" type solution than an actual fix.
    Luckily I was able to get the manuals for my 318 pretty cheap, and wont have a vehicle of just about any kind without a service manual now. They make repairs so much easier.
    Some of the testing procedures can seem tedious, but it saved me quite a bit on my 318s charging system a few years back.

Do you two having issues have the service manuals for your tractors?
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 08-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    angelugs, turns out that is exactly what I need! I'll message you.

So, I went back and and cleaned the terminals on the module harness plugs, and all the terminals and connectors to the coils. By clean, I specifically mean brushing them off, electrical cleaner spray, followed by red Deoxit and then blue Deoxit. Retested the coils (with a voltmeter), and all three tested good. Still had only 1 coil firing. Then I took the transistor module (AM876024) off my other 322 that works fine, and swapped it into the problem one...

and she fired right up!

Helps having a donor to test out parts on. Thanks for all the advice, I greatly appreciate the test procedures Chuck!
    Last edited by machy; 08-23-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements