322 transistor module = let's build our own!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 322 transistor module = let's build our own!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2018 @ 05:50 PM
    Thanks

322 transistor module = let's build our own!

Ok, I'm willing to put in some legwork on this one, but need a little help. It appears the transistor module is just 3 ignition modules packaged together. I am working on drawing up a wiring diagram to show this.

According to TM1591, "The ignition circuit is made up of three separate circuits, one for each cylinder. Each spark plug has its own separate pulsar, transistor switch [located inside transistor module (A2)] and ignition coil. This system eliminates the need for a distributor."

Seeing as these engines are meant to run at a fairly fixed speed, combined with the info in TM1591, I am fairly confident there is no timing advance circuitry in the transistor module.

This means we should be able to use a standard packaged transistor switch, for example, a LX301 (GM HEI ignition module).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by machy; 08-24-2018 at 11:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    There still has to be a condensor for each coil also. Is it in the coil(s) or in the transistor module? So if you can get your hands on a bad coil and transistor module and get to the inner components you could probably get it figured out.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunsgreen View Post
    There still has to be a condensor for each coil also. Is it in the coil(s) or in the transistor module? So if you can get your hands on a bad coil and transistor module and get to the inner components you could probably get it figured out.
    I thought condensor's were only used on points ignition systems in order to dampen the affect of the spark on the points, so that there is less wear on the points themselves. The 322 doesn't have points, but uses the pulsar's for the timing signal. A transistor module is just a very fast, solid state, switch, which opens and closes based on the signal it receives from the pulsar. In the attached diagram, the transistor module for the 322 would include the transistor switch shown, plus the components to trigger the switch control by the pulsar signal. Do I have this wrong (highly possible!)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignitran.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	644694

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Just an idea but maybe you could read up on what Dave Kirk uses on his transdenser module. He basically uses the existing points to switch a IGBT similar to you are thinking you would use the pulsar to switch the same type of transistor. He does eliminate the condenser when you implement his part. Worth a read at any rate.

https://www.kirkengines.com/index.php#1
    Trav1s likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkarst View Post
    Just an idea but maybe you could read up on what Dave Kirk uses on his transdenser module. He basically uses the existing points to switch a IGBT similar to you are thinking you would use the pulsar to switch the same type of transistor. He does eliminate the condenser when you implement his part. Worth a read at any rate.

https://www.kirkengines.com/index.php#1
    I've used his products on my past 317 and 318... it works very well on points based systems. I'll take a look and see if it could help in this case. Thanks!
    Trav1s likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've ordered 3 GM 4 pin HEI ignition control modules to test out my theory...

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    I would email Dave Kirk and get his thoughts. I spoke to him in the past and saw some of his projects at his house. He's very sharp with this stuff and very friendly.
    Trav1s likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    I would email Dave Kirk and get his thoughts. I spoke to him in the past and saw some of his projects at his house. He's very sharp with this stuff and very friendly.
    Just might do that... I spoke already to CDI Technology for about an hour on it. I also started attempting to "unpot" the broken one I have

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Onan P218G and P220G and both have the electronic ignition module (Onan) down by flywheel with the halo trigger ring on the crankshaft. These engines both have a condensor on the plus side of the coil as compared to the standard points like on the B series, which has the condensor on the negative side of the coil. I think it protects the electronic switch from, a flow it can not handle, in the wrong direction. Ie diode conducts one way to a certain voltage and current limit, exceed it and the diode pops. Same principle, but in reverse it block the flow of current until the voltage jumps the gap (arcs) and the diode pops again.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by machy View Post
    I thought condensor's were only used on points ignition systems in order to dampen the affect of the spark on the points, so that there is less wear on the points themselves.
    Correct. Semiconductors need similar protection, which is usually done with a rectifier diode placed in parallel with the inductive load (or switch), but with reverse polarity. Similar to this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diode.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	644778

Al

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast