Back saving mower and tiller carts (dollies) for 214 attachments.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By Roger47
  • 1 Post By 69project

Thread: Back saving mower and tiller carts (dollies) for 214 attachments.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks

Back saving mower and tiller carts (dollies) for 214 attachments.

I have dealt with low back issues for longer than I care to remember. I seem to recall that after swapping the mower and tiller out on the 214, I'd be in more pain than usual for a few days. Finally had a brain storm, or, "Too soon old, too late smart." I made a mower cart, aka dolly, to make removal and install a breeze, or at least way less of a fight than usual. I ordered some creeper wheels from McMaster or some such place. The rest is just scrap. The color is the rattle can that would work. Yesterday, I removed the mower. Did not need to pry any pins. They all just pulled out. Here are a couple of photos from the archive when first using the cart, maybe 7 years or so ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB180769.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	649304

Name:	PB180775.JPG 
Size:	365.4 KB 
ID:	649306

The mower cart worked so well, I decided to try a tiller cart. This one was not as straight forward and took a few months of weekends, with some trial an error. Again, mostly scrap. The curved part that the cradles the tiller is part of a 40 or so gallon propane tank. The bent conduit was gifted to me from another scrap hoarder for another project of mine. Never used it so put it on the tiller cart. Bought the casters and a rattle can of green paint. I was also gifted a piece of stainless steel from a large pipe for the tiller cradle, but that was just to heavy as it was about 1/4" thick.

Here are some photos of it in action. The first one is it just sitting in the cart after being wheeled outside from its storage spot.

Name:	IMG_0620-1024x1024.JPG 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	649308

The 2nd as it is being lowered with the belt tucked under the tractor.

Name:	IMG_0621-1024x1024.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	649310

The 3rd has it lowered some more and moved up under the slotted lift linkage, ready to push up and connect.

Name:	IMG_0622-1024x1024.JPG 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	649312

The 4th is connected, lifted, and cart moved out from under.

Name:	IMG_0623-1024x1024.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	649314

This is easy peasy. Took 12 minutes yesterday to to a 2 minute job. Most of the time was spent tying it in position, go in garage, get camera, take photo, take camera back in garage, lather, rinse, repeat.....

The pulleys for the rope are both double shived. There's are S-hooks on the end of the rope and the lower pulley that connect to the tiller. If I counted correctly, this gives a 5:1 mechanical advantage. For me, this is a real back saver. Now I need a hydraulic lift like thecause17 has, or an electric one. Have been getting by with the helper spring.

Now I need to get out an till before the garden looks like this.

Name:	IMG_0550-1024x1024.JPG 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	649316
    Kennyd, rydplrs, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Nice work on the dollies. Most folks just go get some dollies from HF and call it good. I like how yours are functional and help with the attaching process, key with the older iron. I have a 400 and it is a bear to mount the tiller, front blade, and deck. The dollie set up for your deck would sure make mounting a 400 deck very easy. Folks who have only owned the newer generation JD equipment do not realize how nice they really have it compared to the older equipment.
    rydplrs likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Nice work on the dollies. Most folks just go get some dollies from HF and call it good. I like how yours are functional and help with the attaching process, key with the older iron. I have a 400 and it is a bear to mount the tiller, front blade, and deck. The dollie set up for your deck would sure make mounting a 400 deck very easy. Folks who have only owned the newer generation JD equipment do not realize how nice they really have it compared to the older equipment.
    Thanks for those comments. I also have a snowthrower dolly. Last winter was the first time I had the snowthrower installed since 1997. The dolly was just a cart to move it around for storage. I rebuilt it so it allows for easy, install and removal. If I put it on this winter, I'll try to get pics. The snowthrower was the absolute worst back killer of all my attachments.

Here's me trying to keep our road open last winter. It was blowing in faster than the thrower could toss it off. So went home and tossed another log on the fire.

Name:	IMG_5367_rot-1024x1024.jpg 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	652816

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements