• 3 Post By IndianaJim
  • 2 Post By poncho62

Thread: Think about it

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-22-2019 @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks

Lightbulb Think about it

Seller offers a used JD 318 with 800 hrs on the "original" meter. It's a 1990. that's 28 yrs old. Roughly 28.5 hrs a year. So OK buyer asks how much ground does seller mow? (forget any other ops) Seller says 3 acres once a week. Clear running on just lawn grass, no hurry, a 318 can easily do 1+ acre an hour. OK so that's once a week times 4 weeks per month (average) equals 12 Hours per month. So usually we mow 6/7 months per year. so using 6 months??? We'll multiply 12hrs X 6 = 72 hours per year by 28 yr = 2570 hours +/-.

OOpsee brighteyes. Just a headsup to use a little common sense

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks
    My first thought is has it mowed the same lawn every week for 28 years or did it move in the last couple years.

I got a 400 hour 86 318 from a guy that used to travel a lot. He had lawn service and plowing when he was traveling for work. It has only been used weekly for a couple years.

Second 2750 hours on an onan will show in either a rebuild or two, or short block replacement, or both. 99% don’t last that long.

I’m not saying your wrong, or that a buyer shouldn’t be cautious, but I am not convinced it’s a high hour pos either.
    Herminator, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-22-2019 @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks

Question An exception to any general rule

Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    My first thought is has it mowed the same lawn every week for 28 years or did it move in the last couple years.

I got a 400 hour 86 318 from a guy that used to travel a lot. He had lawn service and plowing when he was traveling for work. It has only been used weekly for a couple years.

Second 2750 hours on an onan will show in either a rebuild or two, or short block replacement, or both. 99% don’t last that long.

I’m not saying your wrong, or that a buyer shouldn’t be cautious, but I am not convinced it’s a high hour pos either.

My post wasn't referring to any specific case nor was I implying folks aren't smart. If and when I buy a "used" anything "I think about it". That includes the veracity of the seller backed by evidence.
    Ron Reagan student; trust but verify as much as possible.

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe the guy had an injury for 10 years and couldn't mow and hired someone else to do it.

I get the point of this thread but on the flip side there are other variable that could affect it.

Use your brain and look the tractor over.

Could have 10,000 hours but if it was meticulously maintained could run for another 10k...

SO point of this thread, none.
    joshn3448 likes this.
    70 w/ Custom 8hp Briggs and Hydrostatic Rearend
    70 no engine
    '74 140 H-3 w/ HD Air Cleaner, 3pt
    332 Custom Turbocharged and 2 Speed Swap
    345-the Grass Cutter w/ Powerflow Bagger
    2009 2320 w/ 200CX & 53" bucket 54 SnowBlower Artillian 42" forks

3pt York Rake, Brinly 8 10 and 12" sleeve hitch & 3pt plows, 3pt Tandem Disk, Toolbar, A-Frame w/ Forks. Haban Flail Mower & Sickle Mower (140-332), Mott T38 Flail Mower, Custom MD Fab 3pt Plow and 2 Bottom Disk Plow, 3pt box blade, 42" Hyd Tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    Mostly I reply to technical question threads where my direct experience might help someone out...but occasionally get inspired to chime on on what is obviously an opinion thread -- HEY! I've got an opinion or two on most topics after all...

I agree with Mike that condition is paramount when considering any used equipment. Hours are a very gross measure of the use a machine gets, and don't log abuse very well. Low hours can be true/actual, missing some run time by disconnect or meter not working, or entirely fictitious if they are being 'estimated' by the seller.

I sold my 1992 322 just last year with an actual 512 hours on the meter. I know that they were the actual hours as I owned it since 1993 and the condition reflected that. I used it to mow some (2.4 acres but not all lawn...) till some, grade all the gravel drives/pads some with the center blade I made, even used a landscape rake a bit. But it was not the only tractor in the herd, hell -- it was not even the only 322 tractor in the herd. Here is a picture of the hour meter last September, and the non-identical 322 tractors that were mentioned here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	322 hour meter on 9-23-2017.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	656806

Name:	non-identical twins 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	656808

I also sold a relatively high hour tractor in 2012 -- it was a 2004 x495 diesel AWS with a 62 mulching inch deck set up for serious mowing, but it had a 3-pt as well for other chores. I bought this tractor used from a local cemetery and put more hours on it myself...had about 2500 hours on it when I sold it (only 8 years old then...) It too was in excellent shape and I would trust it for many more hours -- just a matter of proper maintenance and care. Here is what it looked like:

Name:	may 13, 2012 002.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	656810

Bottom line is you should definitely ask about the hours and the maintenance during that time, but you should ask lots of other questions and trust your own judgement as well.

Chuck
    glc, IndianaJim, joshn3448 and 2 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    So, like Chuck, I too have an opinion on everything, but unlike Chuck, I generally chime in when its not that helpful. Im working on it...

Anyway, I still tell people my 318 mowed 2 acres every week. It also did snowthrower duty in the Winter, and as kids, me and my cousins used to drive it around the yard for fun.
    Even with all that, my 87 318 has 1300 hours plus a couple. Now, it stopped mowing that big yard when my Grandfather passed in 2009, so for the last 9 years, its only had snow duty, tiller duty (with Chuck Vs old 30 tiller) plow day duty, and pulling a cart around our new place hauling all kinds of nonsense here and there.
    Its not unreasonable for someone to say that about a tractor, especially in passing.
    Were I to sell mine, Id say the same to the buyer, and wouldnt divulge much other info at all unless I felt they were serious. How would I know? Well, someone serious about buying a tractor of that vintage should have a whole host of questions for the owner. If they dont, I assume they may just want it for parts or to part out, in which case Id pass anyway. Now, mine isnt for sale and never will be as long as Im still alive, but thats how Ive been with past sales.

My point of that is, the entire history of my tractor is known to me. I know when the hours were put on, and the maintenance performed, etc. Honestly, with that tractor, Im in a very small group of people who have been around them since they were brand spanking new, and old enough to have done most of the maintenance after the warranty was done. I still have the original receipt. Im not putting all of that stuff in an ad, or telling someone who calls about it all that info unless they ask.
    If they come see it, well, I have a good intuition about people, but in general, if you dont ask, and just want to throw money and go, dont expect all the details.

As to specifics, I used to mow that 2 acres in an hour with a 50" deck. If I had to bag leaves, it was 2 hours.
    Also, people are mostly oblivious as to how much land they are actually mowing. My Grandfathers 2 acres for instance. He owned 2 acres. Between his house/workshop/patio/driveway, I ended up mowing about 1.4 acres each week.
    Also, its never set in stone to mow every week anywhere. Spring extra rainfalls put mowings off, Summer drought, etc. Ive had entire months where I didnt mow out there.

My final point of all that run on stuff is that its not unreasonable to assume the hour meter is correct, as is part of their story about its history.
    I agree with the "trust but verify" idea, especially when buying anything large and used.
    The only way to do that is to ask questions. A LOT of questions.
    Chuckv, joshn3448 and Emeribd like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    I had a guy trying to sell a 312 to me with 65 hours, the new meter said 65, the original one which was still there and hooked up told a different story... 2500 hours! I definitely called him out on that.

He then said the key was left on despite the fact it was clearly hooked into the charging system and the motor smoked bad, so I sensed the bullcrap.
    1982 John deere 317, powered by Kohler Magnum 18
    1969 John deere 140 "One eyed Larry", powered by Kohler K241, H2 hydraulics
    1963 Burns B-60 Suburban, serial 1328

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-25-2019 @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    Maxed out the hour meter, started once again from zero hours?

Maybe?

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-23-2019 @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    To me, it wouldn't matter....If it looks good, runs good etc, the price is right, I would buy it.
    I bought a garden tractor with 5700 hrs for $200 with a parts tractor and attachments....It smoked like a chimney, so I rebuilt the engine.......Still worth it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LGT 145-165 002.JPG  
    Chuckv and rydplrs like this.
    STX38 Hydro

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements