Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 49 Snowblower assembly questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-02-2019 @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks

49 Snowblower assembly questions

I'm having trouble assembling the back end of my 49 Snowblower.

The issue is with the arrangement and connection of the IDLER PULLEY ARM and the arrangement of the BRACKET that holds the spring. The IDLER PULLEY ARM has a long bolt that goes thru the bushing and bolts on the other side with a lock washer and a nut. I"m using all grade 5 hardware. The issue is if you tighten the nut then the IDLER PULLEY ARM can't move freely. So I guess my question is that normal? It seems then you make a 1st time adjustment then tighten it down? Not sure. I have circled the bolt in question here. Also, I'm using the "upper" hole in the bracket. There is another hole below that I"m not using.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	1.jpg†
Views:	4†
Size:	91.2 KB†
ID:	654520

The other question is the bracket that is holding the spring on the left in the same picture above. When you tighten that down the bracket is pretty much loose and can move freely. I understand this. However, if that is the case where is the tension.

My second question relates to the way the hydraulic cylinder attaches to the "middle section" of the mount point and the blower housing. I have it "temporarily" attached as shown in the picture below. The "moving piston" side is attached at the mount while the stationary side is on the blower housing. The issue I see is the blower housing side is not a single hole but oblong. Also the hoses are laying to the left as opposed to the right if I had the cylinder flipped upside down.

Name:	2.jpg†
Views:	2†
Size:	103.2 KB†
ID:	654522

Name:	3.jpg†
Views:	2†
Size:	104.6 KB†
ID:	654524

My last question pertains to the pivot bolt that pretty much secures the right side of the mount to the housing. The bushing is in the housing arm and there is no washer behind the hex portion of the cap nut. The washer is on the other side behind the nut. This seems correct as the JD parts website is not specifying a 2nd washer. Only one washer. I'm assuming this one washer is going behind the nut. I can put 2nd washer here, but it makes not sense.

Name:	4.jpg†
Views:	3†
Size:	95.6 KB†
ID:	654526

I guess if someone can post some detailed pictures of their setup that would be phenomenal. The JD parts diagrams dosen't show how the entire thing really goes together.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks

49 Snowblower assembly questions

I can get a couple pictures up soon to help with some of the visual stuff, but Ill try to explain a bit first.

1. Your idler pulley. That bolt should be tight. If it wont allow the idler to move freely, its likely the bushing is frozen to the outer tube of the idler pulley pivot. If thats the case, you will need to get it freed up for it to work properly. Either by pounding it out and replacing it, or by cranking it down and working it with a bit of heat and penetrating oil.
    Its been a while since Ive had mine apart, there may be an inner sleeve thats frozen. JDParts should detail that.

2. You might need a picture for this, but you have the spring correctly attached. There is one more step to the tension part, and that is to flip the bracket on the left (the small one) around to the other side of its pivot. This will tension the spring.

3. Your cylinder is mounted backwards. The cylinders rod goes on the slot side so that the housing can "float" up when it hits something.

4. You want something there to keep it from pushing off of that side, or at least I think so. Ill get a picture of this and post it here.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 10-27-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

Herminator†(10-27-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    I can get a couple pictures up soon to help with some of the visual stuff, but Ill try to explain a bit first.

1. Your idler pulley. That bolt should be tight. If it wont allow the idler to move freely, its likely the bushing is frozen to the outer tube of the idler pulley pivot. If thats the case, you will need to get it freed up for it to work properly. Either by pounding it out and replacing it, or by cranking it down and working it with a bit of heat and penetrating oil.
    Its been a while since Ive had mine apart, there may be an inner sleeve thats frozen. JDParts should detail that.

2. You might need a picture for this, but you have the spring correctly attached. There is one more step to the tension part, and that is to flip the bracket on the left (the small one) around to the other side of its pivot. This will tension the spring.

3. Your cylinder is mounted backwards. The cylinders rod goes on the slot side so that the housing can "float" up when it hits something.

4. You want something there to keep it from pushing off of that side, or at least I think so. Ill get a picture of this and post it here.

Wow you helped me out a lot. So, after I posted this I went ahead and mounted the blower to the tractor and it did work. However I still had the frozen pulley pivot issue, but it still tensioned the belt.

So I took it off and I used heat and penetrating oil. I got the inner bushing out. I thought that bushing was pressed-in, I realized it's supposed to move freely. Now I cleaned up the rust with a wire wheel and used penetrating oil on the inside to remove the rust. I greased up the bushing and it's freely moving like butter!!!

So I now notice another thing about your picture and my setup. The bottom pulley, should the shaft be flush with the face of the pulley. It seems like your pulley is a "little bit" off the shaft. I have mine flush with the shaft. It seems since that bushing is free it dosen't matter because the pivot will move to adjust itself. In addition I notice a "hook" on the inside of the mount bracket. It seems if you push the tensioner pivot all the way and turn it it will enter this hook area. From there the plate that holds the spring is trapped behind the hook. Is this what that hook is for? Or is this a belt guide? Seems the belt would never enter that area...
    fdmars and Herminator like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
    Wow you helped me out a lot. So, after I posted this I went ahead and mounted the blower to the tractor and it did work. However I still had the frozen pulley pivot issue, but it still tensioned the belt.

So I took it off and I used heat and penetrating oil. I got the inner bushing out. I thought that bushing was pressed-in, I realized it's supposed to move freely. Now I cleaned up the rust with a wire wheel and used penetrating oil on the inside to remove the rust. I greased up the bushing and it's freely moving like butter!!!

So I now notice another thing about your picture and my setup. The bottom pulley, should the shaft be flush with the face of the pulley. It seems like your pulley is a "little bit" off the shaft. I have mine flush with the shaft. It seems since that bushing is free it dosen't matter because the pivot will move to adjust itself. In addition I notice a "hook" on the inside of the mount bracket. It seems if you push the tensioner pivot all the way and turn it it will enter this hook area. From there the plate that holds the spring is trapped behind the hook. Is this what that hook is for? Or is this a belt guide? Seems the belt would never enter that area...
    Good news on the pivot! Sometimes they are a royal pain to free up.

On the drive pulley, I actually installed the thrower and lined that up directly with the PTO pulley, thats why it sits where it does.
    It can be off a bit, because its a belt, but I figured it wont hurt anything to be off a bit, and it might help the belt last longer. Its been that way for at least 10 years. The belt is the same one from long before I did that, so maybe there was no point to it. It sure made sense at the time, lol.
    You are correct about the idler, it should move a bit to where it needs to.

Im not sure what you mean on the second part, regarding the hook on the mount bracket. On my picture, that opening is where the coupler joint is.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    Spring mounting: As long as the spring doesn't hit anything when it's applying tension to the belt, it's OK. If it does hit, simply reverse it!

Pivot bolt: the pivot bolt has 2 purposes in life, to allow the pulley to pivot in order to apply belt tension, and to allow the entire bracket to move forward and back. When you install/remove the 49, the pulley & bracket NEED to be moved forward. Release belt tension, remove belt, and slide pulley & bracket forward. This will allow the idler puller to then be rotated in front of the drive pulley and not hit the front frame of the tractor when you try to remove/install! It's a REAL pita if you don't get the idler out of the way...been there!

Jim, I've used ethanol gas since '82 with no problem, BUT, I use Stabil gas treatment! I had a log splitter that I had to remove & clean the carb every summer. Started using Stabil and never pulled the carb since I use it in 2-cycles also. I've got 2-cycle fuel that's 5+ years old...a few shakes, pour it in, a pull or 2 and I'm running!

EVERY can of fuel that I fill gets Stabil...except diesel! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Good news on the pivot! Sometimes they are a royal pain to free up.

On the drive pulley, I actually installed the thrower and lined that up directly with the PTO pulley, thats why it sits where it does.
    It can be off a bit, because its a belt, but I figured it wont hurt anything to be off a bit, and it might help the belt last longer. Its been that way for at least 10 years. The belt is the same one from long before I did that, so maybe there was no point to it. It sure made sense at the time, lol.
    You are correct about the idler, it should move a bit to where it needs to.

Im not sure what you mean on the second part, regarding the hook on the mount bracket. On my picture, that opening is where the coupler joint is.
    Ok, I've taken more pictures.

Name:	1.jpg†
Size:	116.1 KB†
ID:	654626

If you see the picture above there is a hook now. I'm pointing to it, but I guess I'm asking if that is a belt hook or a "spacer hook". It seems either the tension pulley plate should be behind it or in front of it. In that picture the plate is in front of it.

Name:	2.jpg†
Views:	4†
Size:	94.5 KB†
ID:	654628

In the picture above my bottom pulley (gearbox pulley) is mounted so that the pulley is flush with the shaft. As a result the white idler pulley is more forward. The idler pulley can't slide any more back because the plate is actually hitting the hook that I was referencing in the first picture. I believe that hook is very important in either it prevents the idler pulley from sliding too far back or the idler pulley plate is supposed to be behind it.

Name:	3.jpg†
Size:	102.5 KB†
ID:	654630

In this 3rd picture I intentionally pulled the gearbox pulley far enough away so that it is in direct alignment with the idler pulley. However in this configuration, the gearbox pulley is pulled out a lot. You can see the hole in the center, that's how much shaft is missing as a result.

Name:	4.jpg†
Size:	78.4 KB†
ID:	654632

In this picture, as a result of having the bottom pulley out that far, it seems that bottom plate of the idler pulley is touching that hook. Almost that hook is supposed to be some guard. Not sure.

Thank you everyone.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I believe that hook is there to keep the pulley from sliding off the back, in which case you want to have the idler behind it.

That of course depends on the alignment of the PTO pulley and 49 drive pulley when its installed. As you have it now, it seems like it would be sitting fairly far back.
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Steppinthrax, The hook you're pointing to in your photo keeps the idler bracket in "rough alignment" with the pto & thrower drive pulley. The idler bracket will be behind it (towards blower housing) in the install/remove condition and in front (towards engine) when tensioning belt or running.

The first thing you need to do is get your pulley in the proper position.
    1. Loosen setscrew in pulley and verify pulley moves on shaft. Remove/file/clean & lube if nec.
    2. Move belt tension lever to release tension position. Slide idler bracket towards blower housing and move tension lever towards apply tension position...idler arm & pulley should now be between blower housing and drive pulley.
    3. Mount thrower to tractor, align drive pulley to pto pulley, and tighten setscrew.
    4.Install belt, move tension lever to release tension position, slide idler bracket & pulley towards engine, apply belt tension and...done!

Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Steppinthrax, The hook you're pointing to in your photo keeps the idler bracket in "rough alignment" with the pto & thrower drive pulley. The idler bracket will be behind it (towards blower housing) in the install/remove condition and in front (towards engine) when tensioning belt or running.

The first thing you need to do is get your pulley in the proper position.
    1. Loosen setscrew in pulley and verify pulley moves on shaft. Remove/file/clean & lube if nec.
    2. Move belt tension lever to release tension position. Slide idler bracket towards blower housing and move tension lever towards apply tension position...idler arm & pulley should now be between blower housing and drive pulley.
    3. Mount thrower to tractor, align drive pulley to pto pulley, and tighten setscrew.
    4.Install belt, move tension lever to release tension position, slide idler bracket & pulley towards engine, apply belt tension and...done!

Bob
    Bob, Iíve been running a 318/49 combo since 1987, and this is the first Iíve heard of that pulley having a different position for installation/removal and running.
    Canít say mine has ever moved from the pictured position, except when it was completely torn down for a repaint/rebuild.
    Is this in the owners manual?
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Jim, I can't answer about owners manual...don't have one! I've been using my 49 on a 314 since about '83. A REAL pita to mount without moving the idler forward...jack & support front of tractor, slide thrower in, drop tractor!...until I stumbled across the sliding idler.

My 314 is a "closed frame", which means there's a piece of metal on the front connecting both side frame rails. THIS is where the problem is. Your 318 is "open frame." Remember, the 49 was built to go on a 140, also a "closed frame," so the sliding idler bracket was used to make mounting easier. Bob
    Last edited by rwmeyer; 10-29-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    IndianaJim likes this.
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast