• 1 Post By Maddog
  • 2 Post By rydplrs

Thread: A 1973-74 Model 70 lawn tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks

A 1973-74 Model 70 lawn tractor

I have a model 70 lawn tractor that over a three year period I restored-refurbished. It also has a running Tecumseh 7 hp. cast iron engine, which I test ran only one time before I rebuilt the tractor. Since the rebuild I have had it stored under soft blankets to protect it as it sat in my garage. I really have no use for it & I did the rebuild part time in my spare time to have something to keep hands & mind busy.

I now have a 110 square fender lawn tractor which is another basket case that I would like to restore. I'm thinking of seeing if there is a market for the little 70. Would like to sell it for the $ it can bring so I can buy parts for the 110 project. If I recall correctly, years back this 70 tractor could bring as much as $700. Now I never see any little 70's for sale as a complete tractor on any of the usual sites. And the fact that it is a 99.999% impossibility to find a running original Tecumseh 7 hp. cast iron engine is a plus. And its becoming almost as impossible to get rebuild parts from a quality source to do a proper rebuild.

What I'm trying to find out is who would want one of these little 70's & what the current value would be. Personally I would never buy one of these machines for daily use. They are so underpowered & really cheaply designed. Now just a collectors item. And yes I have a mower deck for it & its in great shape but not in refurbished condition. Sorry I currently do not have a photo I can post, but I'm working on that because if I sell it I will need to show it of course. Thanks.
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    I had one running and working with a snowblower and mower it had 10 years on only snowblower duty before I got it. It was in good working order. I mowed with it a couple times.

Well I couldn’t sell it for $7-6-5-450 in spring. Then I got a trade offer. Got a glasstron boat 16 ft 120 hp that I recovered the seats on and replaced the drive boot to enjoy most of the summer, then sold for 2k covering use along with trade value and rehab.
    DRobinson, Maddog, MDrew and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    I had one running and working with a snowblower and mower it had 10 years on only snowblower duty before I got it. It was in good working order. I mowed with it a couple times.

Well I couldn’t sell it for $7-6-5-450 in spring. Then I got a trade offer. Got a glasstron boat 16 ft 120 hp that I recovered the seats on and replaced the drive boot to enjoy most of the summer, then sold for 2k covering use along with trade value and rehab.
    Sounds like you snagged a really good deal. Frankly, I think the vintage tractor/collector market crashed along with the economy about 10-12 years ago. Most collectors of just about anything fell into the basement & have yet to recover. I guess rare art or other works still maintain their $$$ status, but I don't think antique or near antique tractors & machinery have the value they once did. But right now it looks like muscle cars from the 65-1975 period are in demand. And I can understand why. Look at the junk we drive today. They all look the same, blah & no personality.
    rydplrs likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Sounds like you snagged a really good deal. Frankly, I think the vintage tractor/collector market crashed along with the economy about 10-12 years ago. Most collectors of just about anything fell into the basement & have yet to recover. I guess rare art or other works still maintain their $$$ status, but I don't think antique or near antique tractors & machinery have the value they once did. But right now it looks like muscle cars from the 65-1975 period are in demand. And I can understand why. Look at the junk we drive today. They all look the same, blah & no personality.
    Yes but the new is much more advanced. I was shocked my buddy could deal with wet snow with the 70. I just got an x475/47 for my snow eraser.

Current trucks have twice the power of 20 years ago. I’m not saying the older equipment isn’t capable. I’d be as happy with my former 430/47 but I have a small yard I blow off most of. The nimble steering and height hp of the x are an improvement though.
    Maddog and Herminator like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

duwem (11-05-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Reason they don't have much value is the tecumsehs blow up and there is no bolt in replacement engine. Tractor was built around the engine. Any other powerful engine will require cutting or compromise of looks, pto function etc.

Its worth something to someone but there isn't a long line of people looking to add one to the herd, especially as a worker.
    70 w/ Custom 8hp Briggs and Hydrostatic Rearend
    70 no engine
    '74 140 H-3 w/ HD Air Cleaner, 3pt
    332 Custom Turbocharged and 2 Speed Swap
    345-the Grass Cutter w/ Powerflow Bagger
    2009 2320 w/ 200CX & 53" bucket 54 SnowBlower Artillian 42" forks

3pt York Rake, Brinly 8 10 and 12" sleeve hitch & 3pt plows, 3pt Tandem Disk, Toolbar, A-Frame w/ Forks. Haban Flail Mower & Sickle Mower (140-332), Mott T38 Flail Mower, Custom MD Fab 3pt Plow and 2 Bottom Disk Plow, 3pt box blade, 42" Hyd Tiller

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    A lot of the 60 and 70 lawn tractors had their engine's (Tecumseh) replaced with Briggs early on in their life. Problem is now, finding an engine with the correct crank size for the deck pulley's, etc. As mentioned by Mike above, finding an engine that fits in the engine compartment, and with the correct crank size for the drive and deck pulleys isn't an easy task. And rebuilding a Tecumseh isn't easy either due to unavailability of parts for the Tecumseh engines.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements