Like Tree3Likes

Thread: John Deere 332 PTO short circuit

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-04-2019 @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 332 PTO short circuit

Hello Everyone!
    I have bee reading many of the posts and find them very interesting but I seem to have a similar problem to many other people but my problem is when the PTO switch to the mower is turned off, the 25 amp fuse blows. This happened after a sudden jolt to the tractor when the mower deck hit a cement block hidden in the grass. The blades didn't hit it just the deck. I have replaced the switch and no different. I have disconnected every possible electrical component, lights, TDCM, solenoid, clutch and a couple of others. When putting a meter on the switch the power wire feeds the wires to the clutch when in the "On" position, which is good. As soon as I put the switch in the off position the power feeds the other terminal which is a ground wire.
    My switch has 5 terminals 2 seem to be constant power and not related to the switch at all, 1 is power to the switch itself which feeds the 4th. terminal for the mower and the 5th terminal appears to be a ground wire.
    I have taken the covering off of some of the wire bundles and can't find any sign of freyed wires or burned wires. I'm really stumped on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day folks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks
    There should be 2 purple wires on pto switch, one coming from 25 amp fuse and other going to rear pto switch. Verify the wire going to the rear pto switch is not pinched/grounded. I've attached the 322/332 schematic. Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 322 wiring.jpg  
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

Apple Guy (11-08-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Bob: I'll go poking around some more with my meter. I don't have a PTO switch for the back just the front which should simplify things a bit. I just can't seem to figure out why I am getting a direct short across 2 terminals on the switch when it is in the OFF position but I will check again for any pinched or bare wires.
    Many thanks for your time and the schematic!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    Test the PTO coil itself.
    Sounds like an internal short.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hi again Everyone: Well I have looked around and can't find any evidence of damaged wires. There are 2 red wires on the PTO switch which carry 12V but don't seem to have any effect on the switch itself. The fuse wire goes to the ignition switch. There are 2 blue wires on terminal #4 which engage the PTO clutch and that is working. This gets the 12V power from terminal #3 in the picture which is fed by 2 green wires. The problem seems to be with Terminal #5. The black wire connected to here goes straight to a grounding terminal on the collar of the ignition switch. It is this terminal (#5) that when the PTO switch is in the "OFF" position creates a direct short through the switch from the 12V power on Terminal #3. This is a brand new switch so it should be fine. I just don't know why it would go directly to ground when in the "OFF" position, but that is what is blowing the fuse. Could it be the voltage regulator is broken? Thanks everyone for your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTOswitch.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	655954

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks
    Hmm, I checked my TM for all 332/322 schematics for various serial number breaks and NONE showed a pto switch with 5 terminals. What does the plug look like that goes onto the pto switch? Does it connect to 5 terminals or 4...and is there a separate wire for terminal 5?

I'm having problems interpreting the schematic as I really have no idea what's happening inside the TDM. I do know it "looks at" safety switches and allows you to do things, like start and turn on pto's! I also remember reading, and will try to find again, that without a rear pto a jumper needs to be installed.

As a last check, does the wire on terminal #5 have a plug on the end that can just be disconnected from the ground ring on ign switch? Try disconnecting that and see what happens! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

Apple Guy (11-09-2018)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Good Morning Bob:
    The plug for terminal #1 and #2 is a single plug containing both wires. The plug for terminals #3, #4, and #5 was all one plug until I had this problem and originally I thought is was a loose wire for terminal #5 as I would see it arc so I isolated that wire onto a separate clip so now #3 and #4 are still on the same plug and #5 has its own clip. Now I did see one of the two power wires feeding #3 is joined into #1 and #2 through a connector farther down the line. Is it possible the Time Delay Module is faulty? Could it be that when the mower deck hit the buried cement block the sudden jolt could have damaged the Time Delay Module? It does have a lot of years on it and many of these wires are connected through that module. I certainly appreciate your time Bob. Thanks so much.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry, I forgot to reply to your last question. If I leave terminal #5 off everything seems to operate fine. The PTO clutch engages when the switch is on and the fuse doesn't blow when the switch is off. I'm tempted just to leave the wire off and cover it but I'm not sure if it would be creating another problem later on. I don't know why this is acting up now as we have never touched the wiring.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    UPDATE: Ok, I was reading, doing a lot of that lately, that the solenoid for the diesel fuel is also operated through the Time Delay Module and for some time now the solenoid hasn't been engaging, we have had to do it manually as it would stay engaged to run and we just thought it was the solenoid at fault. From what I was reading, it may be the Time Delay Module so I just went and tested the solenoid with two wires I ran from the battery and it engages when the one terminal has power and stays engaged when the other terminal gets power so I am thinking the solenoid is fine and I am thinking it is the Time Delay Module which seems to be common to the PTO problem I'm having and the solenoid problem. Any ideas???
    I'm also thinking that since I have the fenders off, the rad out and various other panels off I might as well paint it while it's sitting here but the fall yard work is calling....louder every day!!

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    There used to be guys over on WFMachines.com who would repair the Time Delay Control Modules.
    They arent cheap to replace otherwise.
    Its been a while since I had one apart, but they are fairly simple internally. They do fail, or rather, individual components inside fail.
    If you can figure out what parts are bad inside, and know how to work a small soldering iron on a circuit board, you could possibly fix it yourself.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

Apple Guy (11-09-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast