Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hydraulic line and coupling question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-02-2019 @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks

Hydraulic line and coupling question

I'm having a bit of an issue here. I purchased a hydraulic motor to perform a modification on my snowblower so I can have the automatic chute functionality.

The hydraulic motor has 1/2" flare fittings. They are 5/8" male pipe thread that are threaded into the motor revealing a 1/2" flare ports for lines. The issue is the lines on the JD 318 are 1/4". I figured that's not a problem since I can simply remove the 5/8" fittings and get a 5/8 to 1/4" female bushing. I would screw in a 1/4" hydraulic line. However, it seems near to impossible finding fittings that go from 5/8 to 1/4 or even 1/2 to 1/4. I spoke to a hydraulic guy who said that he'd likely have to make a hose for me. He indicated usually fittings go from one size to the next size, not two or 3 sizes. I'm trying to avoid having a totem pole of 4 different fittings to reduce a 5/8 to a 1/4.

Anybody got any ideas.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    Steppin, STOP right where you are !!!!! I, or someone, else can help you out identifying what you need. But first, we need to know what you have.

First, there no such thing as a 5/8" pipe thread. 1/4 NPT pipe is .540 OD, so you may see a hole that looks and measures (roughly) 1/2'". The next size is 3/8 NPT which is .675, so you may see & measure 5/8". I'm thinking it's probably 3/8 NPT.

Next, you say the motor has "1/2" flare fitting". Is this the OD of the thread? If so, it's for 5/16" tubing. You also need to know if it's 37 or 45 degree flare! With the low pressure on these tractors, you can mix them, it's just not a recommended practice.

Finally, you say your 318 has 1/4" lines. If so, somebody re-piped it! You should have 5/16" tubing, or possibly 3/8" (I don't know for sure.)

The standard plug disconnect of JD couplers has 1/4 NPT threads, whether it's 5/16" or 3/8" tubing really doesn't matter. POSITIVELY identify the threads in the motor. Then have your hydraulics guy put that male thread on one end and 1/4 NPT male thread on the other end of the needed length of 3/8" hose.

Bob
    Last edited by rwmeyer; 11-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Herminator likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

Auguste (11-21-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-02-2019 @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Steppin, STOP right where you are !!!!! I, or someone, else can help you out identifying what you need. But first, we need to know what you have.

First, there no such thing as a 5/8" pipe thread. 1/4 NPT pipe is .540 OD, so you may see a hole that looks and measures (roughly) 1/2'". The next size is 3/8 NPT which is .675, so you may see & measure 5/8". I'm thinking it's probably 3/8 NPT.

Next, you say the motor has "1/2" flare fitting". Is this the OD of the thread? If so, it's for 5/16" tubing. You also need to know if it's 37 or 45 degree flare! With the low pressure on these tractors, you can mix them, it's just not a recommended practice.

Finally, you say your 318 has 1/4" lines. If so, somebody re-piped it! You should have 5/16" tubing, or possibly 3/8" (I don't know for sure.)

The standard plug disconnect of JD couplers has 1/4 NPT threads, whether it's 5/16" or 3/8" tubing really doesn't matter. POSITIVELY identify the threads in the motor. Then have your hydraulics guy put that male thread on one end and 1/4 NPT male thread on the other end of the needed length of 3/8" hose.

Bob
    Okay,

This is a photo of the fitting.

I've taken in the the store to size it up with other fittings. The bottom is 5/8" pipe thread.

The top is 1/2" JIC.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coupler.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	656344

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Steppin, First, sorry if I sounded a little "abrupt" in my first post. I "lost it" when I read your post and had visions of you cranking some fitting into the motor and destroying the threads in the motor!

OK, Let's start over. The fitting in the picture is DEFINITELY NOT a 5/8" pipe thread...there REALLY is no such thing! What you have is an "O-Ring", or SAE ORB, fitting on one end and the opposite end is, in fact, a JIC fitting, but I'm unsure of the size or the angle. It's a hydraulic fitting so it's probably a 37° fitting.

You've got a couple different ways to go here, but your going to need hoses with fittings on both ends. I'm assuming you're attaching one end to your front outlets, so you'll need the disconnect plug, whether JD, Parker or other, which has a 1/4" NPT female thread, so you'll need 1/4" NPT male on one end. Let me know if you have other plans. On the motor end of the hose, bring the fitting to your hyd's guy and tell him you want fittings on the other end to mate with that. If the thread on the tapered end is in fact 1/2" it's a 5/16" fitting, officially called a "-05" fitting. The fitting for the motor end, 1/4" NPT on the other end and the length of the hose, again I'd use 3/8 hose, and your hyd's guy can make up hoses for you.

I've got one more word of advice...err, rather a warning...do NOT use teflon tape on the fittings. The o-ring end seals on the o-ring, so a little oil on the threads, screw it in and done. Put a thread sealant paste on the NPT end and screw it into the disconnect. Put the sealant on a thread or 2 from the end of the fitting to prevent sealant from getting into your hyd system.

Let me know if I can be of any more help or if you have other/more questions, Bob
    Last edited by rwmeyer; 11-11-2018 at 04:44 AM.
    Kennyd, fdmars, Daveb and 2 others like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Thanks
    Discount Hydraulics is your friend here:

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...read_guide.pdf

I ran into the 5/8 adapting issue when installing an auxiliary pump. Had to get from #10 (5/8) ORB (your pic) down to 3/8" JIC. I did it with one adapter:

6400-06-10 | 3/8" JIC Male x #10 SAE/ORB Male: DiscountHydraulicHose.com

That is the smallest that a #10 ORB will reduce to so you would need an additional fitting to get from 3/8" JIC to 1/4" JIC:

2406-06-04 | 3/8" JIC Female x 1/4" JIC Male: DiscountHydraulicHose.com

There are also options if you need to get to 5/16". None of these fittings would use tape. Hope this helps.
    fdmars, Daveb and Herminator like this.
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Jay, I'm thinking he has a 5/16 (-05) on his male connector, based on the 1/2" size he mentioned, so putting this into the motor and using 3/8 hose, he would need a 3/8" Hose x 5/16" JIC Female Swivel. I see no need to go to 1/4" JIC. Bob
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks
    If you don't mind spending some money (it all costs money when dealing with hydraulics) take your project to your nearest Parker Hydraulic Store. They can build the lines/fittings you need or if you still want to DIY then get you hooked up with the correct fittings with no guess work so you can complete your project. Good luck, getting the right fittings is always an adventure for me.
    Herminator likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    The chart on the right side of page 99 always helps me.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Catalog/Catalog291.pdf
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Thanks
    Here is another option:

6405-10-04 | #10 SAE/ORB Male x 1/4" NPTF Female: DiscountHydraulicHose.com

#10 ORB (motor side) x 1/4" FIP (hose side). One fitting for a couple of bucks and use an off the shelf 1/4" MIP (male iron pipe thread) hose with the male QD on the other end. Easy. You can walk into either TSC or FleetFarm and they have an length assortment of inexpensive hoses with MIP ends as well as Parker (or equivalent) QD fittings. You might run into a small issue with the QD's with "ball" ends or "poppet" style ends to mate up with the JD onboard QD setup.

I buy bulk hose and fittings and swage my own ends and use 1/4" hose on the implement side of the front quick connectors. My 400 uses 5/16" line from the valve forward to the front quick connectors. The hoses on the snow blower are 1/4".

I may not be accurately suggesting the final solution-only possible options.
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    I buy bulk hose and fittings and swage my own ends .
    What do you use to swage them?
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast