Electrical issue after hitting rock with plow. JD 316
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Electrical issue after hitting rock with plow. JD 316

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:28 AM
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Electrical issue after hitting rock with plow. JD 316

    JD 316. Was plowing first storm and hit a rock embedded in the driveway so hard it stalled the engine. It started right up again but the alternator light is on and cannot move shifter off neutral switch without stalling the engine. Any suggestions where to start looking? Thanks Dana

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 168 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DTMaine View Post
    JD 316. Was plowing first storm and hit a rock embedded in the driveway so hard it stalled the engine. It started right up again but the alternator light is on and cannot move shifter off neutral switch without stalling the engine. Any suggestions where to start looking? Thanks Dana
    Not knowing the diagram on this unit but it sounds like you have a seat switch malfunction. Either the wire is grounding or open depending on how your system uses the switch.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

  4. Top | #3
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 10:51 AM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 200 Times in 153 Posts
    Youve likely dislodged a connector somewhere or pinched a wire.

    With the battery light on, its not charging.
    Check your voltage regulator connector, and the battery itself and its connections. Batteries have lead plates that just rest in slots in the bottom of the case. If any of these were damaged, it could also be the reason your light is on, as the tractor isnt seeing the voltage it likes to see while running.
    The neutral issue is a safety switch issue.
    Depending on year, there are several different safety switches that will need to be checked.

    On the off chance thats not it, make sure your PTO switch didnt get bumped, and its not a combo of that and the seat switch acting up.

    Also, it might help to know the year.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:28 AM
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Youve likely dislodged a connector somewhere or pinched a wire.

    With the battery light on, its not charging.
    Check your voltage regulator connector, and the battery itself and its connections. Batteries have lead plates that just rest in slots in the bottom of the case. If any of these were damaged, it could also be the reason your light is on, as the tractor isnt seeing the voltage it likes to see while running.
    The neutral issue is a safety switch issue.
    Depending on year, there are several different safety switches that will need to be checked.

    On the off chance thats not it, make sure your PTO switch didnt get bumped, and its not a combo of that and the seat switch acting up.

    Also, it might help to know the year.
    Thanks, ill check all the wires from the regulator. It is strange the safety switch would act up at the same time as I haven't had any problem with that. I also noted that the engine would die if I tried to switch on the PTO, but maybe that's because there wasn't enough voltage.
    I'd have to look up the year, cant remember off hand.

  7. Top | #5
    Chuckv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 391 Times in 313 Posts
    You may have a failed seat switch or associated wiring. When this is not working as it should, the tractor is dependent on the starting interlocks to keep the engine running, and the operating modes are inhibited.

    Before you do anything else, check the 2 or 3 amp fuse -- same circuit location at F2, but value changes in early versus late production years. If this fuse is blown, the symptoms are the same as having a bad seat switch or wiring, and may give a false no charge indication as well.

    We are presuming here that the 316 you have is the later model with the Onan twin made in the mid 1980's to early 1990's. There was an earlier 1970's tractor also called the 316 with a single cylinder Kohler engine. To be clear, it is best to designate these two variants as the 316-K and the 316-O when discussing each. The wiring for the two variants is very different. Below is the safety wiring for the 316-O tractor that shows why the engine will not run if the PTO is on or the tractor ground speed lever i s moved from Neutral (and later years also factor in the parking brake switch...)

    The two wiring excerpts shown are needed to show the ignition interlocks provided by the TDCM, the first for the seat switch and the second for the parked/no operator present interlocks for starting the tractor. A full schematic shows all the nuances of course but is confusingly complex.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignition diagram 318.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	657032

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	318 Starting circuit.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	657034

    Notice in the first excerpt where the note on the starter switch terminal X1 shows a purple #710 wire connecting to the brake switch (shown in the second excerpt...) This is how the TDCM knows if the seat is occupied OR if the safety circuit loop or Neutral/Brake set/PTO off is satisfied... at least one of these conditions must be true for the engine to run.

    Ask if this discussion generates additional questions.

    Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 11-16-2018 at 04:33 PM.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:28 AM
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    You may have a failed seat switch or associated wiring. When this is not working as it should, the tractor is dependent on the starting interlocks to keep the engine running, and the operating modes are inhibited.

    Before you do anything else, check the 2 or 3 amp fuse -- same circuit location at F2, but value changes in early versus late production years. If this fuse is blown, the symptoms are the same as having a bad seat switch or wiring, and may give a false no charge indication as well.

    We are presuming here that the 316 you have is the later model with the Onan twin made in the mid 1980's to early 1990's. There was an earlier 1970's tractor also called the 316 with a single cylinder Kohler engine. To be clear, it is best to designate these two variants as the 316-K and the 316-O when discussing each. The wiring for the two variants is very different. Below is the safety wiring for the 316-O tractor that shows why the engine will not run if the PTO is on or the tractor ground speed lever i s moved from Neutral (and later years also factor in the parking brake switch...)

    The two wiring excerpts shown are needed to show the ignition interlocks provided by the TDCM, the first for the seat switch and the second for the parked/no operator present interlocks for starting the tractor. A full schematic shows all the nuances of course but is confusingly complex.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignition diagram 318.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	657032



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	318 Starting circuit.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	657034

    Notice in the first excerpt where the note on the starter switch terminal X1 shows a purple #710 wire connecting to the brake switch (shown in the second excerpt...) This is how the TEDM knows if the seat is occupied OR if the safety circuit loop or Neutral/Brake set/PTO off is satisfied... at least one of these conditions must be true for the engine to run.

    Ask if this discussion generates additional questions.

    Chuck
    Thanks very much. When I get back to it I look at all this. Appreciate the schematics. Yes, it is the 316-K, newer model with twin cyl.

  9. Top | #7
    Chuckv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 391 Times in 313 Posts
    Glad to be of help. By the way the newer model is the 316-O ... the Onan opposed twin engine.

    Chuck

  10. Top | #8
    TJR345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    Area 51 in Cambria,NY
    Posts
    3,793
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 483 Times in 372 Posts
    Check different ground grounds,wire could've broken off on a circuit.
    Tom

    2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:28 AM
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Chuckv for the schematics. I wont be able to get to looking at my tractor till tomorrow but now I think I know exactly what happened.
    The stop was so abrupt and powerful I was thrown forward and the seat came up with me. Im willing to bet it got disconnected below. Would totally make sense.
    I'll verify tomorrow when I get back to it.
    Thanks much

  12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •